On Wed, 24 Apr 2002 03:46:04 +0800, John Summerfield
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >In the times when "Sharing a VM system with early releases of MVS was
>> >unpleasant," IBM hadn't invented LPARs and I think Gene had just released (o
>> >was about to release) the S/470s.
>> >

>> >MVS+VM, I was told, made the 168 comparable in performance to a 135.
>>
>> One of my first projects at Amdahl was supporting a product called
>> VM/PE, a boringly named, technically cool piece of software which
>> shared the real (UP) system between VM and MVS. S/370 achitecture is
>> dependent on page zero and this code swapped page zeros between MVS
>> and VM. It worked just fine for dedicated channels, nice low 1-2%
>> overhead. When we started sharing control units and devices, things
>> turned ugly.
>>

>I do believe we used VM/PE, before MDF became available.
>
>We used to run two, occasionally three MVS systems on a 5860.

MDF was largely equal to the LPAR facility...

VM/PE had a very elegant development name: Janus - who was the Roman
God of portals, able to look two directions at the same time.

It was originally written by Dewayne Hendricks and the original was
very nice indeed. [Anyone feel free to correct me]. I ran across an
original listing while at Amdahl and it was so much prettier then the
product version. He was no longer working at Amdahl by the time I
arrived. Robert Lerche was also involved, but I don't know whether he
worked jointly with DH or not.

john