> >>   I hear that it's no problem with the two in different LPARs, and that
> >> running MVS as a guest under VM works well with a surprisingly small
> >> performance hit (in the 2-3% ballpark.)
> >> --
> >> --henry schaffer
> >>

> >In the times when "Sharing a VM system with early releases of MVS was
> >unpleasant," IBM hadn't invented LPARs and I think Gene had just released (o
> >was about to release) the S/470s.
> >

> >MVS+VM, I was told, made the 168 comparable in performance to a 135.
>
> One of my first projects at Amdahl was supporting a product called
> VM/PE, a boringly named, technically cool piece of software which
> shared the real (UP) system between VM and MVS. S/370 achitecture is
> dependent on page zero and this code swapped page zeros between MVS
> and VM. It worked just fine for dedicated channels, nice low 1-2%
> overhead. When we started sharing control units and devices, things
> turned ugly.

I do believe we used VM/PE, before MDF became available.

We used to run two, occasionally three MVS systems on a 5860.

-
--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/

Note: mail delivered to me is deemed to be intended for me, for my disposition.

If you don't like being told you're wrong,
        be right!