> >3) Are the current servers colocated, or distributed? SMB
> and SMB over
> >IP are fairly bandwidth intensive, and IPX over IP is *very* chatty.
> >This will have an significant impact on your WAN if the
> servers are not
> >colocated today.
>
> The 4 servers I've mentioned are colocated with the 750
> desktops, but if
> this project is successful we will want to expand to some of
> our remote
> sites.

Given that bandwidth still is often cheaper than servers, this may not
be a problem. Still, you should investigate what increasing the BW to
the outlying sites would be, early on. Raw SMB will probably encourage
you to look at something more sophisticated.

> >4) Do you already have a mainframe hosted backup solution
> such as FDR or
> >TSM? If not, can you afford to dedicate a tape drive to the LPAR?
>
> We have TSM on AIX for Netware file backups which I assume we
> can use for
> Linux/Samba file backups. However I'm concerned about all that backup
> traffic going through the network and we'll be considering
> alternatives. We
> also plan to backup the Linux/Samba DASD with our OS/390 3390
> volume dumps
> so we have a fast DR capability for file/print.

While the TSM solution may work, you should be aware that Tivoli's
support for 390-based (of any flavor) has been disappointing. I'm sure
others can comment on this at length, but keep it in mind.  Also, keep
in mind that for the OS/390 backup solution to work reliably, the Samba
instances must be completely down during the backup if you want
consistent, usable dumps.