David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > We have TSM on AIX for Netware file backups which I assume we
> > can use for
> > Linux/Samba file backups. However I'm concerned about all that backup
> > traffic going through the network and we'll be considering
> > alternatives. We
> > also plan to backup the Linux/Samba DASD with our OS/390 3390
> > volume dumps
> > so we have a fast DR capability for file/print.
>
> While the TSM solution may work, you should be aware that Tivoli's
> support for 390-based (of any flavor) has been disappointing. I'm sure
> others can comment on this at length, but keep it in mind.  Also, keep
> in mind that for the OS/390 backup solution to work reliably, the Samba
> instances must be completely down during the backup if you want
> consistent, usable dumps.

We are only in the investigation phase with zLinux so far but we are
a fairly large TSM site (12 production servers running on MVS, 600+
clients on HP-UX, AIX, Netware, NT and Linux)) and are seriously
considering the Linux TSM client.  While this would add another level
of restores to a DR it has the advantage that I do not need to quiesce
my Linux instances, and in most cases do not even need to quiesce the
services.
|Chuck Mattern          | "People often find it easier to be a result |
|[EMAIL PROTECTED]      | of the past than a cause of the future."    |