(I work for Phil)

Yes, we're using LVM.  Each filesystem is 29 3390-9 volumes, at roughly 7 gb. each,
for a total of roughly 204 gb. per filesystem.  Two of these, plus 5 minidisks for the
system, consumes all 256
minor node numbers for the DASD device.  To add more, we'd have to go to a new major
number, which would give us another 64 devices.  (Each physical volume consumes 4
minor numbers.)