So then if you do want to install a package using RPM that would need
another package that was installed manually, you would have to use the
--nodeps option to force the install?

For example, I had to install MySQL using the source.  To do this, I had to
uninstall the older RPM installed version and other apps that used it because
they were dependent on it.  Now, I have to re-install those 'other apps' that
depend on MySQL but RPM doesn't know about the new MySQL install.