On 1/9/06, James Melin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We have been playing with stonebranch universal command to do some nifty ISPF
> interface stuff and batch to Linux stuff, but going into prod with this
> setup is making management have a cat. $5200 per Linux IMAGE on z/OS and 3600
> per Linux image on Intel. We'd never be using it that much.
>
> What is has allowed us to do is easily run a Linux script from the step of a
> batch job on z/OS on a targeted Linux system.
>
> This has allowed us to make a WebSphere component shutdown/startup/status
> ISPF dialogue, as well as be able to keep the scripts we wish to run in a
> RACF secured dataset on z/OS disk so that the scripts do not live on the
> z/Series Linux guests at all, merely run there and then end.
>
> The good folken at Sine Nomine did an nje/rje thing, but I'm not sure if that
> fits the bill or not.
>
> What I'm looking for is some way to drive events on Linux from within ISPF or
> z/OS batch processes to replicate what I have now without 65,000 in
> license charges.
>

> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> -J

> send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit

I won't be able to answer your question but just in case you are
running zVM.  zVM comes with the Programmable Operator interface to
accomplish some of what you are looking for from zVM/CMS.   This
allows you to filter and respond to messages from a CMS session.

Also, Neale Ferguson (now with Sinome) wrote the facility to allow you
to execute VM/CP commands from Linux (opposite to what you need -
www.linuxvm.org).

An idea that might work is to run an ftp session from TSO/Batch to
your Linux image and print the response from Linux.  Scanning with
your program what you get back from Linux to take counter actions can
be time consuming but it can be done.

One final idea is in case you are running a scheduler such as UC4.
You can have the scripts under the scheduler on one machine to execute
in your Linux images.

I apologize if none of these ideas can be put to use to solve your problem.