> I spent sometime reading about AFS this weekend and I am thinking on
> setting it up on one of my Linux guests.

You'll want to do it with several new guests (3, at least), and make
sure the new guests have a private guest LAN or VSWITCH they can use to
talk to each other (ie, make them multihomed when you create them). AFS
(like all the distributed cluster file systems) needs to talk to other
parts of itself often.

> I am not optimistic that the performance for an Oracle file system
> will be anywhere near what I get with a locally mounted LVM/ext3.

It probably won't be close to local disk performance for large
databases, especially with random seek semantics in play. The AFS cache
manager does very well with sequential reads and writes; less well with
random access. This is one area where GPFS and OpenDFS do better, but
they have other tradeoffs (esp DFS).

> On the other hand, we have problems today when we want to extend the
> size of the Oracle filesystem.   We need to take it down before
> mounting.   I am hoping that AFS will fix that problem.

Not completely. AFS will allow you to adjust quotas in a smarter way so
that the issue of filesystem size is less relevant, but you will still
have some issues with partition sizes. All of these problems can be
minimized with good planning, but AFS is very different from a
local-disk based plant.