Hi Susan,

> While at SLES9, would you recommend hcp be used instead of vmcp at least
> during boot?  The Basevol/Guestvol script uses hcp, but since it sounded
> like vmcp was preferred over hcp, I changed the script to invoke vmcp
> instead.

I would recommend vmcp, but I am biased here. Use whatever works best for you.

> I see udev in the boot process before the vmcp is issued (Basevol/Guestvol
> script). However, it is within 4 seconds. If it can take up to 10 seconds,
> it sounds like the timing of this not consistent enough at SLES9.

The delay is not about start of udev --> use of vmcp, its about vmcp module
loaded --> use of vmcp.

I have never seen the 10 second delay on SLES9 under z/VM (The 10 second delay
is RHEL4 specific and you have to trigger a bug). In fact, I am quite sure
that udev will create the device node in milliseconds in almost every case if
you run under z/VM and dont attach hundreds of devices.

So if

# modprobe vmcp
# sleep 1
# vmcp your command

does not work, something is probably going seriously wrong.

If you dont want to rely on udev you can always use a pre-defined device node
in your ram disk. You just have to know the sequence of your kernel modules,
that create a misc device with dynamic minor. Dynamic minors are assigned as
63,62,61... and modules that use dynamic minors are for example
device_mapper, dasd_eer, zfcp_hbaapi.

--
IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter