>>> On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at  4:18 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Anton Britz
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Yes, you can call your self brain dead if you have not been part of the IBM
> world for the last 30 years but IBM makes money out of adding a few buttons
> to the same boxes/software every year and then they sell it back to their
> own customers.

Yeah, forget about those processor speed increases, more capable channels,
faster OSA interfaces, more capacity for real storage.  Those have nothing to
do with it.  Oh, and if you've only got 30 years of experience working with
mainframes, you're still a pup.  Some of the people on this list have more than
that.

> So now you want to run Linux on an IBM box ?

You bet.  Greatest thing to happen to mainframes since MVS and VM.  (I don't
want to hear from all the VSE/TPF people out there, either.  I don't have any
direct experience with them.)

> The reason why the market is moving to Linux is precisely because of the
> constant "Upgrade fees" of IBM/Microsoft.

Umm, no.  That's hardly the reason at all.  Initial acquisition costs are not
the issue.  Do some more homework on that, and you'll see that's the least of
the reasons.

> You want to tell me we are going to get new/better features in Linux,
> compared to other Operating Systems that have been around for 50 years.

Yep, you bet.  It's happening every day.  z/VM has had a lot of improvements
made to it since 2000, just because of Linux.  Plus, it saves IBM (and other
ISVs) a lot of money porting UNIX and LInux applications to z/OS.  They can
just recompile them for mainframe Linux and they're done.  Everybody
wins,including the z/OS systems programmers who get to keep their job because
now the mainframe is even more important to the business than it was before.
One thing you really need to keep in mind is that the operating system is _not_
important to the business.  It's the applications that run on it.  If you can
deploy better applications faster by running an IBM operating system on the
same hardware with Linux, you can demonstrate significant value to the
business.  It's happening every day.