Here's a blast from the past, this has cropped up again.

After a recent full shutdown of our z9, the linux lpar (Centos 4.4
s390x) wouldn't boot, seems like the root volume group may be "a bit
off".  So, I decided to try and boot from the installer image to see if
I could repair it, but when I use ht e0.0.0E200,0.0.E201,0.0.E202 addr
for the qeth device (blank line for the portname, but I've also tried
CHIP00), it fails to come up with the messages:

Qeth: loading qeth S/390 OSA-Express driver
Cat: /sys/devices/qeth/0.0.e200/if_name: No such file or directory
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device

When I was having this problem last April during the initial install, it
went away when the folks that set up the hardware suggested using an OSA
adapter that wasn't in use by any other LPARs, I've had folks check and
e200 still isn't being used by anything else.

I have no idea how to even begin tracking down what the problem is, does
anyone have any ideas?

--

Kelly F. Hickel
Senior Product Architect