> > [Kelly F. Hickel] I was told that it didn't need it (and the prompt
> > itself says that it is optional).  That address isn't supposed to be
> in
> > use by any other LPAR.
>
> You don't need a portname if your OSAs are at a certain microcode
level
> or if none of the OSes sharing the OSA are z/OS (I think that z/OS
> still
> cares about the portname parm for some important reason related to
> sysplexes). I would think that a z9BC should be above that ucode
level,
> but you might check that out.
>
> > Is there a newer released version of CentOS for
> > s390x? I went looking for a v5 mirror but didn't find one and
> stumbled
> > on a message suggesting that there wasn't one.
>
> I don't know of one, but haven't really looked either.
>
> > > Is this a base Centos 4 install, or did you apply any maintenance
> > > it?
> > [Kelly F. Hickel] Hmm, it's started as base 4.4, but there had been
> > small amount of maintenance applied, IIRC.
>
> Dunno. All our Centos systems run under VM, so we've never had this
> problem with them. Sounds like your filesystem may also have gotten
> corrupted along the way -- does a fsck on the root filesystem show
> anything that might need fixing?

[Kelly F. Hickel] Well, that's the problem, right? I mean I can't boot
even single user mode to do a fsck, so I was going to try to use the
install boot to look around, but I can't get it running far enough to
allow me to log in remotely.  I can't even reinstall cleanly, since I
can't get the network adapter to work.

-Kelly