> [Kelly F. Hickel] I was told that it didn't need it (and the prompt
> itself says that it is optional).  That address isn't supposed to be
in
> use by any other LPAR.

You don't need a portname if your OSAs are at a certain microcode level
or if none of the OSes sharing the OSA are z/OS (I think that z/OS still
cares about the portname parm for some important reason related to
sysplexes). I would think that a z9BC should be above that ucode level,
but you might check that out.

> Is there a newer released version of CentOS for
> s390x? I went looking for a v5 mirror but didn't find one and stumbled
> on a message suggesting that there wasn't one.

I don't know of one, but haven't really looked either.

> > Is this a base Centos 4 install, or did you apply any maintenance to
> > it?
> [Kelly F. Hickel] Hmm, it's started as base 4.4, but there had been a
> small amount of maintenance applied, IIRC.

Dunno. All our Centos systems run under VM, so we've never had this
problem with them. Sounds like your filesystem may also have gotten
corrupted along the way -- does a fsck on the root filesystem show
anything that might need fixing?