> Yes that's a really good idea - using a bind mount from another
> filesystem in the LVM2 ?
> something like:
> mount --bind /etc /origetc
> mount --bind /newetc /etc
> Where /origetc is simply a mountpoint in the root filesystem (to be
able
> to maintain /etc after the next mount)
> and /newetc is an LV within LVM2.

Pretty much. The base /etc gets one /etc/init.d/boot.d/ script entry
that remounts the "other" /etc over the top of the one in the root, and
startup proceeds from there using the "other" /etc. If that fails, then
you go directly to single-user mode with no network enabled to let you
go fix whatever it's whinging about. Our setup also runs a small script
to use CP MSG to scream to a PROP machine to let some human know about
the problem.

Bill Scully at CA did a nice paper/presentation on the basic idea, which
I've tinkered with a bit more to make it use more VM facilities. I
actually don't mount the base /etc; I want that centrally maintained and
as R/O as I can make it. That shouldn't change often, if ever --
probably once a major release when I build a new template machine.

Much easier to deal with overall, and scales nicely without having all
that / in LVM mess involved. I suspect one could get really clever and
put the initial / in a DCSS, which would promote even more sharing --
it's basically configuring a primarily diskless workstation with some
local disks at that point.

Hmm. I feel a white paper or a presentation coming on.

-- db