Some products can only be installed from an X11 session.  It seems like DB2 is
one.  I didn't do the install, however the person that did the install told me
he had to use X11.

-----Original Message-----
From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
Rich Smrcina
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 7:24 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: What is a good generic disk layout?

At first glance, looks nice... but,

X and a graphical desktop?  Should we be encouraging this?  Or does the
speed of the z10 make it a moot point?  Will 10, 100 or 1000 KDE
desktops on a z10 matter?

Michael MacIsaac wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> It's difficult to come up with a one-size-fits-all disk layout for Linux.
> In the past I've just "punted" and created a single 3390-3-sized root file
> system. That often fills up quickly, so most would probably agree that
> more space is require.  Here is a proposed minidisk layout for two
> 3390-3s:
>
>    MDISK 100 3390 0001 0050 => for /boot => cannot boot from a logical
> volume
>    MDISK 101 3390 0051 0500 => for /     => in event that lv is hosed,
> system will not boot
>    MDISK 102 3390 0551 2788 => for LVM volume group => to break file
> systems out of the root
>    MDISK 103 3390 0001 3338 => for LVM volume group => to be able to grow
> in other than / and /boot
>
> A volume group can then be carved into the following logical volumes
>
>    /usr   usr-lv  1.6GB => to allow for a fair number of packages
>    /var   var-lv  300MB
>    /opt   opt-lv  400MB => to allow for X and a graphical desktop
>    /srv   srv-lv   50MB
>    /home  home-lv  50MB => utilize central NFS-automounted space later
>    /tmp   tmp-lv  400MB => (or put it into a tmpfs?)
>    ???                  => any missing that could fill up?
>
> These LVs would leave the volume group with more than 1GB free for growth.
>
> Comments on this proposal? Thanks.
>
> "Mike MacIsaac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   (845) 433-7061

> send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit

Rich Smrcina
VM Assist, Inc.
Phone: 414-491-6001
Ans Service:  360-715-2467
rich.smrcina at vmassist.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/richsmrcina

Catch the WAVV!  http://www.wavv.org
WAVV 2008 - Chattanooga - April 18-22, 2008

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email from the State of California is for the sole
use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged
information.  Any unauthorized review or use, including disclosure or
distribution, is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact the sender and destroy all copies of this email.