> While /etc's overmounted is it still possible to update the underlying
> /etc/fstab and make other needed config changes?

You can mount the "base" /etc at another point in the tree and edit,
although the point of the setup I want is that you never have to
(substitute minidisks at the correct addresses and use by-path addresses
for anything that's early enough in boot to be before the overmount of
/etc on the "base".

It takes a little thought (and z/VM), but it's worth it.