Robin Atwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> So, what does "ls -l /dev/tty*" show you?  Also, what does your hercules
>> configuration file look like?
>
> # ls  /dev/tty*
> /dev/tty   /dev/tty10  /dev/ttyS1  /dev/ttyS3  /dev/ttyS5  /dev/ttyS7
> /dev/tty1  /dev/ttyS0  /dev/ttyS2  /dev/ttyS4  /dev/ttyS6  /dev/ttysclp0

Ok, I got things working on my hercules system, but I'm not sure it's going to
satisfy you.  From what I can tell, you can't get a 3270 effect on the actual
hercules console.  You have to use a TN3270 connection to the TCP/IP port
specified by CNSLPORT.

The kernel that comes pre-SP1 does _not_ compile the 3270 support into the
kernel, but as modules.  This gets fixed later on, as I indicated previously.
There's a bug in hercules that prevents me from booting up a SP1 kernel or
later, so I'm not entirely sure just what level fixed it.  If you're forced
into running a pre-SP1 kernel as well, then there are a couple of things you'll
want/need to do:
- Update /etc/zipl.conf so that you have "insmod=tty3270" on the kernel parm
line.
- Update /etc/sysconfig/kernel to add tty3270 to the list of modules to be
built into the initrd.
- Re-run mkinitrd.
- Re-run zipl.
- Update /etc/init.d/boot.local to add this command:
/sbin/chccwdev -e 0.0.xxxx      where "xxxx" is the device number assigned to
your console.  In your particular case, that would be "/sbin/chccwdev -e
0.0.001f"
- chkconfig boot.local on
- Make sure /etc/inittab still has a mingetty entry for /dev/tty0.0.001f in it.
- Halt your Linux system
- Connect to port 3270 (or whatever you have defined for CNSLPORT) with your
TN3270 emulator.  You should see the hercules greeting screen
- Boot your linux system

At some point, you should see the login prompt on your TN3270 session.