On Tuesday 26 Aug 2008, Mark Post wrote:

> Ok, I got things working on my hercules system, but I'm not sure it's going
> to satisfy you.  From what I can tell, you can't get a 3270 effect on the
> actual hercules console.  You have to use a TN3270 connection to the TCP/IP
> port specified by CNSLPORT.

Obviously, that's what I have been doing.

> The kernel that comes pre-SP1 does _not_ compile the 3270 support into the
> kernel, but as modules.  This gets fixed later on, as I indicated
> previously.  There's a bug in hercules that prevents me from booting up a
> SP1 kernel or later, so I'm not entirely sure just what level fixed it.

The kernel started using a Diagnose instruction not supported by Hercules. The
problem is fixed in the CVS code.

> If
> you're forced into running a pre-SP1 kernel as well, then there are a
> couple of things you'll want/need to do: - Update /etc/zipl.conf so that
> you have "insmod=tty3270" on the kernel parm line. - Update
> /etc/sysconfig/kernel to add tty3270 to the list of modules to be built
> into the initrd. - Re-run mkinitrd.
> - Re-run zipl.

I am now using the same kernel as you: 2.6.16.54-0.2.8-default. I now see

# zgrep 3270 /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_TN3270=y
CONFIG_TN3270_TTY=y
CONFIG_TN3270_FS=y
CONFIG_TN3270_CONSOLE=y

which shows all the modules are built-in.

> - Update /etc/init.d/boot.local to add this command:
> /sbin/chccwdev -e 0.0.xxxx      where "xxxx" is the device number assigned
> to your console.  In your particular case, that would be "/sbin/chccwdev -e
> 0.0.001f"

This is the critical point. I made this change (and nothing else) and then
then it all 'Just Worked" (TM).

Dave Jones sent me a copy of "ned" which installs without problems. However,
it seems you must code;
        ned -T /dev/tub0.0.001f <filename>

This has been a magnificent effort on your part, Mark. Hopefully it has helped
people with more funds at their disposal  than me. I guess that we are all a
bit more enlightened about a not very well documented feature. Now to graft
the technique onto Gentoo...

Cheers
-Robin
Robin Atwood.