>>> On 12/3/2008 at  7:58 AM, "Harder, Pieter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Mark,
>
> Is your picture from the Orlando presentation still valid when
> virtualization is factored in? The discrete system view factors in massive
> underutilization to be able to run on so few IFLs. The general thinking in my
> company is that VMware is a lot simpler route to attack that.

That's because that's what the actual utilization on those servers was.  Even
so, according to my IBM contact that did the sizing, the cost of a VMware
implementation would have been about midway between the cost of the discrete
systems and Linux on System z.  So, yes, it's still valid, just not as
dramatically so.