On Monday, 01/19/2009 at 11:25 EST, David Boyes <dbo...@sinenomine.net>
wrote:

> The more important part is not to close out VM:Direct, VM:Secure, and
> TopSecret/VM as viable back ends for SMAPI. They're popular, but
> DIRMAINT+RACF is the lowest-common denominator in terms of price, so to
many
> people, that's what the state of the art in VM directory is by fiat. You
> write to what you have, and since so many things in RACF still need to
be
> separate commands, you end up hard-coding a lot of dependencies into
your
> own apps to make them useful.

I have a lot of customers who do not want directory management and user
creation/access rights controlled by the same people.    I.e. sysprog can
create a user ID, but not until ESM is updated by Security People can the
id be used.  Or add a NICDEF, but it won't work until ESM permission to
the VSWITCH is given.  It is certainly *convenient* to have the two tied
together, but that is at the discretion of the client's separation of
duties policy.  (And, yes, all understand the sysprog has Ultimate Power.)

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott