On 1/19/09 11:06 AM, "Jack Woehr" <j...@well.com> wrote:

> Which does not prevent the user from writing their own command
> interface, since SMAPI is easy to extend on the Host side.

No, but that introduces the opportunity to make it a lot harder to port
stuff. I think Alan & co. were right here -- you want it to be more abstract
to prevent people from wiring in dependencies.

> Also, Alan, /who/ would write apps dependent on a specific dirm?
> Is someone other than IBM writing apps based on SMAPI (other
> than yours truly?) I ask in profound ignorance of vendor space
> and app space in the VM world.

We do. We'd do more if SMAPI were more easily usable from CMS. It's a lot
better in recent releases, but a simple linemode client for CMS written in a
supported language would be a wonderful addition. I really like what you've
done with PigIron, but I can't run it on CMS because we don't have a
supported Java.

The more important part is not to close out VM:Direct, VM:Secure, and
TopSecret/VM as viable back ends for SMAPI. They're popular, but
DIRMAINT+RACF is the lowest-common denominator in terms of price, so to many
people, that's what the state of the art in VM directory is by fiat. You
write to what you have, and since so many things in RACF still need to be
separate commands, you end up hard-coding a lot of dependencies into your
own apps to make them useful.

> BTW, I've discovered Google Web Toolkit and am beginning to code
> a PigIron/SMAPI-based VM operations navigator as a "Web 2.0"-style AJAX
> up using GWT. Very cool.

Neat. Planning an Android/iPhone version? That would be really cool. GWT
already has support in the widgets for adjusting screen sizes, so it would
be a matter of enabling the support.

-- db