On Monday, 01/19/2009 at 11:11 EST, Jack Woehr <j...@well.com> wrote:

> Also, Alan, /who/ would write apps dependent on a specific dirm?
> Is someone other than IBM writing apps based on SMAPI (other
> than yours truly?) I ask in profound ignorance of vendor space
> and app space in the VM world.

Who, indeed.  I am embarassed to say that there was an IBM product that
misused the generic command interface because it was 'easier' than
figuring out the actual API.  The product has since been corrected and
"attractive nuisance" has been filled in with concrete.

And, yes, there are non-IBM exploiters of SMAPI.

As an aside, given the nature of the data flows, consider an option to
provide an SSL session to protect them.  (It will require "static SSL" on
the VM side of things.)

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott