Agblad,

> Here comes some feedback.
> It is a very good source for info in this matter, and explains a lot of
stuff you need to know.
Thanks!

> I have read the previous ones and tried to implement it.
> It was however tricky, most due to that reality changes (like: oops, we
need more space on /opt )
> and it is a couple of lines of code to make work and maintain.
The size of /opt was increased in this version of the paper, but it is
still relatively small. Whichever app you want in /opt, consider
installing it on a different virtual machine and mounting the app on the
clones over a deeper mount point (e.g. /opt/IBM/Websphere).  We wrote
about this technique for WAS, DB2 and MQSeries in
http://linuxvm.org/present/misc/virt-cookbook-2.pdf
It's getting old, but the basic technique should still work fine.

> The bind mount is a source of failure, or not ? What happens if it does
not work for some reason ?
> I guess the original mountpoint takes effect, and that one can be at a
read-only disk. When was that
> one updated last ? And we have duplicate storing here ?
Whew, lot of questions. What I will say is that the bind-mounts usually
just work. But yes, it is a source of failure if one does not work :))

> My prime concern here was /etc, I wanted that one on a separate minidisk
to be safe.
You could do that. But it would be "major surgury" and in the end, it
would be a lot of work and I'm not really sure a separate disk is any
"safer" than a bind-mount.  I can also point out that Red Hat has a
"readonly-root" parameter, mainly designed for Stateless Linux I believe,
and it has a single file system with *all* of the R/W pieces being
bind-mounted.

> I saw last in the pdf you have one guy,Carlos Ordonez, always asking:
isn't there a simpler way to do this ?
> I like that guy :)
I will pass that on.

> About creating clones, we have made another approach.
> Every server configures the network/ip itself at every boot,
Configures the network at *every* boot? Why not just at first boot? Do you
never put the real IP address, host name and other values in /etc?

> and at first boot there is a
> script cleaning out old logs and other stuff remaining from setting the
clonebase up.
Oh, I like this! We write about cloneprep.sh which is run on the golden
image just before "flashing" it to the gold disks. But if you forget to
run it, then the old logs are still there.  Putting cloneprep.sh into
boot.findself would guarantee the logs, etc. are cleaned up.

> So we don't prepare a clone, just clone any server and it will fix
itself at first boot.
Yup

> (Well, normally we clone from one clonebase, that makes it safer and you
need the clonebase shutdown,
>  but we can always clone any server that is shutdown)
OK, I see the value here. But this can be a double-edged sword - if you
have too many golden masters, you lose standardization. Still, an
interesting approach.

> To have this working in SLES10 :
> We set a number of FKeys in the VM profile to for example: IPNR=1.2.3.4
> and MASK=255.255.255.0 and GATEWAY=1.2.3.0 and so on.
> Then we get these values via vmcp in /etc/init.d/boot.local, and sets
the ipconfig values.
> And whatever you need or want to set here.
> This also makes it easy to move servers around in different
network(security)zones, just
> change in the VMprofile and reboot.
OK, that answers my question above.  Sounds like you're well down the road
to a similar system. Hopefully you can use some of the techniques
described in the paper.

"Mike MacIsaac" <mike...@us.ibm.com>   (845) 433-7061