On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 03:00:27 +0200
Ivan Warren <i...@vmfacility.fr> wrote:

> cmm-1 (arch/s390/mm/cmm.c) uses SMSGs to communicate with the VMRM
> service virtual machine. The VMRM will instruct the guest to release its
> pages using good ole Diag 10.. nothing fancy here..

diag 10 actively tells z/VM that the page is free.

> cmma (arch/s390/mm/page_states.c) uses the B9AB instruction to indicate
> to CP which pages linux no longer needs.. It uses the standard Linux MM
> mechanism to be instructed to do so. (page_free()).. The only diff
> between Diag 10 and B9AB is that a page marked "Unused" with B9AB will
> generate an Addressing Exception (PIC 5) if you attempt to access it,
> while Diag 10 won't do that.

The B9AB instruction will mark a page as free in the pgste. That does
not cause a sie exit to z/VM which means z/VM doesn't know the page is
free until it does a page scan for the guest. So you won't see an
immediate effect in the z/VM page counts. If z/VM needs memory it will
eventually find the unused pages and the page count will drop belately.

--
blue skies,
   Martin.