Mark Post wrote:

In the context of the original question, I stand by my response.  Introducing
all sort of hypothetical situations will change just about any answer.

Mark,

I don't understand..

The original question was :

Will "sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches" have any adverse effect ?

Your answer was :

"Yes, just because linux no longer treats those pages as being used
doesn't mean z/VM sees them as free" - and your statement is that the
only solution to ensure linux doesn't eat more memory than it needs to
is to adjust the virtual machine's storage size.

To which I commented : Would CMMA change this ?

To which you answered "no" (with the implication that linux free page
management is not connected to z/VM's own free page management - but
only a protocol to

After which, I looked into the source code and the relevant CP manual
and disagree with your analysis since those information seem to dismiss
your answer.

What "hypothetical" situation are you talking about ? Using CMMA (but
that was part of my question) ? Running linux under z/VM (which you
already implied in your answer) ? or that flushing buffer/cache will
call linux Memory Management free_page() function ?

--Ivan