>>> On 7/7/2009 at  9:00 PM, Ivan Warren <i...@vmfacility.fr> wrote:
> To which I commented : Would CMMA change this ? To which you answered "no"
> (with the implication that linux free page management is not connected to
> z/VM's own free page management - but only a protocol to

But that wasn't your comment/question.  You asked if my original answer would
apply to CMMA, and I said no, it would not apply to CMMA, since that is an
architected interface between Linux and z/VM, implying that the drop cache
/proc interface is not.  And indeed it is not.  Using CMM-1 (and possibly
CMMA/CMM-2 if you're brave enough) will achieve real storage savings and,
unless mis-handled by VMRM or the system administrator, not adversely affect
performance of the Linux guest.  Using the /proc interface to drop cache and
buffers is not recommended in a production environment.