Mark Post wrote:
But that wasn't your comment/question.  You asked if my original answer would
apply to CMMA, and I said no, it would not apply to CMMA, since that is an
architected interface between Linux and z/VM, implying that the drop cache
/proc interface is not.  And indeed it is not.  Using CMM-1 (and possibly
CMMA/CMM-2 if you're brave enough) will achieve real storage savings and,
unless mis-handled by VMRM or the system administrator, not adversely affect
performance of the Linux guest.  Using the /proc interface to drop cache and
buffers is not recommended in a production environment.

Ok.. Just a communication problem then..

My comment addressed a specific portion of your statement :

"Just because linux no longer treats those pages as being used doesn't
mean z/VM sees them as free".

My (verbatim) comment was :

"Does this still hold true when using CMMA ?"

This may have been the reason why we had a miscommunication - I wasn't
specific enough about what portion of your statement I was referring to.

I was making this comment since I was under the impression that CMMA's
intent is to allow linux to indicate explicit page disposition to CP.

Bah.; anyway.. no big deal ;)

--Ivan