On 15/12/11 19:09, Offer Baruch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is not a z/Linux or z/VM question but Let me ask you guys something
> about ext3... I guess that most of you are using it in production...
> How is it possible that i am using ext3 in my production systems and
> face stuff like:
> 1. Corrupted FS during normal work that needs to be fixed with fsck or
> worse restore from a backup

Unless you do something wrong (typical candidates:
- mounting an ext3 at the same time on several systems
- file system on /dev/dasda instead of /dev/dasda1 on a CDL formatted disk
- logical volume on dev/dasda instead of /dev/dasda1 on a CDL formatted disk
- full disk backup of a running system from an external system
- misconfiguring the partition size after a resize
) or have broken hardware this should never happen.

> 2. Resizing a FS requires me to fsck before I resize (as if the FS does not
> trust itself to be valid forcing me to umount the FS before a resize)
> 3. Resizing a FS offline actually corrupts the FS

Cant tell about resizing.

> 4. The fstab parameters, that states that it is normal to fsck your FS
> every boot or every several mounts...

You are the first z/OS admin that complains about too many sanity checks :-)
You can disable or change these values with tune2fs -c and -i.

> 5. FS is busy although it is not mounted or in use by anyone...

This can also happen, if another file system is mounted on top

> 6. fuser command will not always show the using processes

Might happen if there are short living processes or processes
that open/close all the time. (fuser does a snapshot and if these
processes are not accessing a file at that moment it doesnt work)

> 7. open files can be removed without any warning from the rm command

This is actually a very nice unix feature. The directory entry is gone, but
the file does not go away (due to reference  counting on the inode) unless
the last user closes the file. And really its not a bug, its a feature -
e.g. programs can make sure that temp files got deleted when they crash.

> 8. removing files from the FS will not free up space in the FS

Can be explained by 7. As soon as the last user goes away the space
will be freed.

Your 1. should really worry you. Again this should not happen. (and it
does not happen on my systems)

Christian