On Thursday, 12/15/2011 at 05:15 EST, Offer Baruch <offerbar...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Thank you all for all the answers...
>
> I had no intention for you guys to try and solve those issues :-)

Then don't post them.  :-)  "Problem.  Kill it!"

> I am more than aware that some of the stuff i wrote are intentional by
> linux design... and that is exactly my point.
> I can assure all of you i don't mount a FS in 2 machines and blame ext3
for
> corrupting it... when i do that i blame my self :-)
> i am using both linux on system z and on IBM Blades (VMware and physical
> servers).
> actually i rarely have any ext3 corruption issues on system z (i think
it
> happened only once).
> out of 200 guest (not too much) every once in a while (lets say 2
months)
> one of my linux FS needs an fsck.
> and when i think about it all features and messages i get implies that
fsck
> is "normal". other than mounting a FS in 2 places (and other stuff like
> that)  i do not expect FS corruption ever.
> all i am trying to say is that i expected more of linux and it looks
> different.

The problem isn't necessarily you, by the way.  If those drives are
accessible by more than one host, then you have no control what other
hosts do.  The SAN admin should zone the WWPNs and mask the LUNs to ensure
that only the proper server has access to a specific LUN.

The storage admin can help you determine if someone else is accessing the
LUNs, whether from System z or elsewhere.  (Hopefully you are using NPIV
in all of your virtualization environments.)

If you're getting errors on ECKD, then I suspect another LPAR is doing
something to your disks.

The fact that an OS has a different design point that your fave isn't
unusual.  You should see all the weird things z/OS does from my
perspective.  :-)  But I think it's a credit to Linux that it *expects*
hardware to be unreliable or interfered with, and it takes steps to
protect you from it.

Oh, and ext3 is way better than ext2 was.  The fsck'ing (careful, there!)
with ext2 would have driven you crazy.  :-)

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323
mobile; 607.321.7556