> How is it possible that i am using ext3 in my production systems and
> face stuff like:
> 1. Corrupted FS during normal work that needs to be fixed with fsck or
> worse restore from a backup

You have something wrong with your configuration or hardware eg two
systems with the same fs mounted at once, the same blocks assigned to two
things etc.

> 2. Resizing a FS requires me to fsck before I resize (as if the FS does not
> trust itself to be valid forcing me to umount the FS before a resize)

Ext3 should allow a resize if the disk is clean

> 3. Resizing a FS offline actually corrupts the FS

You definitely have something wrong with your configuration, hardware or
tools

> 4. The fstab parameters, that states that it is normal to fsck your FS
> every boot or every several mounts...

Usually every n reboots or few months. If it's doing it regularly it
probably wasn't cleanly unmounted so is being checked - see 1,2,3 above.
The 180 day check is done to make sure nothing is slowly going astray (eg
bad hardware), ditto the every 'n' mounts. These are tunable and you can
turn them off if your hardware is trusted. In PC space they tend to be a
good idea because cheap disks and cheap hardware with limited ECC do now
and then do bad things.

> 5. FS is busy although it is not mounted or in use by anyone...

If you have a process with its current directory there, or it is NFS
exported or other things then you may find

> 6. fuser command will not always show the using processes

See 5, also check your command line choices include current working
directory etc.

> 7. open files can be removed without any warning from the rm command.

That's a feature

> 8. removing files from the FS will not free up space in the FS

Ditto if they are in use.

> Am i alone here? how can this be? Why are we all using linux if it is still
> not ready for production?
> will ext4 fix that or is it just bigger, faster but based on the same
> unstable technology?

It's based on the same stable technology. I think you have a local
problem. In the PC space I'd also suspect bad memory but on a 390 the
hardware is probably less of a suspect.

But if you can't figure it out then you could upgrade to a PC - it's
really stable on those ;)

Alan