> a few years ago we've introduced execute in place, which can be used to
> save some memory by using z/VM DCSS segments. Since the size of main
> memory for virtual servers has increased much faster than the size of binary
> executables and libraries since, this technique has become less attractive.
> Andrew Morton, the leading maintainer for the memory manager in Linux,
> has raised the question if this is still needed.

Tolerating that increase in bloat is another problem, but not what you're
asking. 8-)

That's kinda odd, since it shares a lot of concepts with the code that allows
mapping filesystems to PROMs on Intel and ARM. I'm surprised the embedded Linux
folks aren't screaming their heads off.

> Who's using execute in place in their environment today? What are your
> plans of future use? Can we discontinue the technology or shall we keep it
> around?

We don't use it due to the difficulty of creating and maintaining the DCSS from
Linux over time.
Since neither of the major distros on Z integrated it into the system
management tooling, I suspect that it never got used much and no one would miss
it.