Our reason for not using it is the really high pressure of a very standardized
server farm.
In order to get this costeffective and useful you should have perhaps only
three versions
of readonly root filesystems used by all servers.
It would be only three systems to upgrade, maximum.

Since it is XIP and already in memory, you will get fast boot/reboot and no
essential
module/lib will ever be paged out, so response time will also be better.

As you say, it should be same technology as USB-sticks or memorycards, and it
should be
std to have that option when installing.

We would like to use it, but we have some more standardization to fix first.

/Tore

Tore Agblad
System programmer, Volvo IT certified IT Architect
Volvo Information Technology
IMO Mainframe Databases & zOpen Gothenburg
E-mail: tore.agb...@volvo.com
http://www.volvo.com/volvoit/global/en-gb/