>>> On 2/12/2013 at 04:36 AM, Carsten Otte <co...@de.ibm.com> wrote:

> Who's using execute in place in their environment today? What are your
> plans of future use? Can we discontinue the technology or shall we keep
> it around?

One of my customers (at least) is using xip2fs for their WebSphere environment.
 They initially looked at it with the idea of saving real storage across
multiple guests, but stayed with it because it radically reduced the startup
time for a WebSphere instance.

Based on what we saw during our testing, (i.e., only stuff that gets used gets
pulled into real storage) simply putting _everything_ in /lib, /lib64,
/usr/lib, and /usr/lib64 would probably produce very good performance results
with a minimum of system administration overhead.

I would vote for keeping it.