Hi All,

We generally install our guests with only the most required packages. Since we
never run X we obviously don't install that. We have installed our guests with
an ssh based install so no VNC or otherwise graphical interface is used either.

Our customer now want's a graphical interface in order to configure the
machine. This is a SLES11 SP2 guest. I would like to activate VNC on the guest.
I have VNC active but in order to get a graphical login I need to activate XDM.
When I start /etc/init.d/xdm it responds "unused" and doesn't get started. In
the /var/log/messages I can find: "/etc/init.d/xdm: No changes for
/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers" and the same line for xdm-config. I expect it is missing
some packages or some configuration but I can't figure out what it needs. Most
documentation expect to have a full graphical installation in the first place
so they expect all requirements on that part, both packages and configuration,
are already available.

In the past I have installed a guest through VNC. When installed this way the
configuration will be suitable for a VNC connection. But this guest is a SLES10
machine. I try to compare SLES10 against SLES11 but there are some differences
between them anyway so it hard to see what needs to be done this way.

I have installed tightvnc and fvwm. Any requirements for this have been
resolved by Yast during install of these packages.

How can I get XDM to start?

Met vriendelijke groet/With kind regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Berry van Sleeuwen
Flight Forum 3000 5657 EW Eindhoven
* +31 (0)6 22564276
 [cid:image001.jpg@01CE3508.E10AE080]
[cid:image002.jpg@01CE3508.E10AE080]

<<inline: Picture (Device Independent Bitmap) 1.jpg>>

<<inline: Picture (Device Independent Bitmap) 2.jpg>>