From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@vm.marist.edu] On Behalf Of Richard
Troth
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2013 2:51 PM
To: LINUX-390@vm.marist.edu
Subject: Re: Activate XDM and VNC

You do NOT need a formal graphical logon for to use VNC.  By coincidence, Sir
Santa railed against passwords in his blog last week, and graphical signon
typically means yet more passwords.  Counter productive.

Larry is right that you'll need core X windows support, but that should have
been drawn in automagically by YaST/zypper.

So ... once the needed pieces are in place, sign on with SSH and then ...

        vncserver -geometry 1024x768

(You may prefer a different geometry.)
First time you start a VNC server, it will prompt for a VNC password.
(But no rant against this one because it is local only and can be used more
like a "key".)  It should respond with ...

        "New 'X' desktop is servername:1"

... where "servername" is the hostname of the server you're signed onto.  Set
'DISPLAY=servername:1' and export that variable 'export DISPLAY' to child
processes as needed.  TWM is the default window manager in my experience.  Much
much less pleasing than KDE or GNOME or XFCE, but also much less overhead.  It
starts one 'xterm' by default.  You can run other apps as you please.  (Just
point your DISPLAY variable, or run them from that XTERM.)  Use 'yast2' for
graphical system config.

Then connect with any VNC client roughly like ...

        vncviewer servername:1

I *always* tunnel my VNC traffic.  But I'll defer discussion of tunneling
unless anyone cares to hear the details.