Mark,

Good idea for the STARTS_XSERVER, though since it is a Proof of Concept we are
not all that concerned with the system logs.

Yes, I did try to setup through Yast Remote administration. And No, it didn't
help.

Regards, Berry.

You'll also want to change
DISPLAYMANAGER_STARTS_XSERVER="yes"
DISPLAYMANAGER_STARTS_XSERVER="no"

It's not critical, but error messages will be generated that might cause
concern for someone else looking through the system logs.

You didn't mention it, but did you try
YaST -> Network Services -> Remote Administration to get VNC set up?  I would
hope that would have done most/all of the things you discovered necessary.