> wrote:
> -snip-
> > I believe Mark said that having linux to handle vlan tagging is hard.
> >
> > But what you are trying to do is different. In your case, vswitch is
> > removing/adding vlan tags from/to  frames on the fly.
>
> If Grzegorz is correct in _his_ assumption, what he posted is a good
> description of what goes on and that _is_ something the installer can
> handle with no problems since from the guest's perspective it is not VLAN
> aware.

You're right. That is just assumption and after I read again the whole
thread I am not sure anymore  if this is what Dave wanted
So to give a full picture, you have three options ( simplified ):

1. Basic - Osa is plugged into "access" port on the real switch so there
are no vlan tags between real switch and OSA, and there are no vlan tags in
vswitch or linux. VSWITCH has to be set as "vlan unware".

2. Most common and useful - OSA is plugged into a "trunk" port on a real
switch. That port has to have vlan(s) added to it.  VSWITCH handles vlan
tags. So between vswitch (osa) and real switch the traffic is tagged with
vlan ids. Vswitch removes and adds vlan tags depending on direction.
Traffic between VSWITCH and linux guest is a untagged - standard network
frames. So from linux perspective it is like (1) . VSWITCH has to be set as
vlan AWARE and grants should have a vlan tag.

3. Less common, useful in some cases - OSA is plugged into "trunk" port on
real switch and in general same as (2). But, when you do grant, you can say
that this specific grant should act as "porttype trunk" (and you specify
which vlans are trunked)  so VSWITCH instead of removing the vlan tag,
forwards the whole thing to linux guest. So linux guest should be
configured to receive and send tagged frames.  As Mark mentioned, during
install process it might be troublesome.
In that case you might want to change it to (2) just for the install and
later configure vlan interface in the linux and redefine your grant to
porttype trunk afterwards.

Gregory