On Thursday, 11/10/2016 at 09:12 GMT, "Ponte, Douglas C. (JMD)"
<douglas.c.po...@usdoj.gov> wrote:
> Fullpack volume backups ---- can be run daily, weekly and monthly, using
JCL with automation tools
> (existing on z/OS already, e.g. BMC Control-M or Tivoli Automation).
This should be done with all
> z/VM and zLinux volumes.
>
> In the full volume backup cases, stopping/shutting down is not always
necessary, albeit it may be
> good practice to at least quiesce when it comes to DB?s and heavy use
servers. (e.g. DB2, Oracle,
> etc)

WARNING:  To do this reliably, you need software that is capable of
establishing an I/O consistency group.  If you want to FLASHCOPY the
volumes and sequentially backup the volume copies, that's ok, but do NOT
just sequentially copy the live volumes of a running z/VM system.  (If you
wouldn't do it to a running z/OS system, don't do it to any other system.)
 This process is intimately tied to your DR strategy, too, so get it
right.

If you have databases, use the backup software for the database.  If
you're using hardware replication, be sure that it's supported by the
database vendor.

Some people take a too-casual approach to backups and DR.  I too often
hear "Don't worry, I'm doing it from z/OS." as though z/OS has magical
powers over z/VM and Linux.  Don't fall into that trap.  That way there be
dragons.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
Lab Services System z Delivery Practice
IBM Systems & Technology Group
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323