On 09/08/2017 04:46 PM, Steffen Maier wrote:
On 09/08/2017 04:19 PM, Greg Preddy wrote:
gold server or in recovery mode, but if "It's all tooling, no direct editing of any config files with SLES." then how do we fix this?

You could run the customization in a chroot environment on the cloned disk, possibly on some central "staging"/provisioning Linux image also having (temporary) access to the cloned disk.

Or have the customization run very early during boot in custom additions to initrd/initramfs, especially before it activates LVM or even mounts the root-fs, basically before it touches disks in any way.

That was just from the top of my head. There might be other solutions.

Aren't there products that can already do this?
OpenStack?

In either case, you could invoke the tooling to generate the necessary config entries. (I assume the golden image has the "old" config entries already removed to be pristine, otherwise you could also use the tooling to remove these entries during customization.)

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards
Steffen Maier

Linux on z Systems Development

Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: Martina Koederitz
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Boeblingen