  Re: Absolute failure of Linux dead ahead? (Christopher Browne)

From: "doc rogers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.microsoft.sucks,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Enemies of Linux are MS Lovers
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 20:19:39 -0500

Two comments:

1.  According to Gateway, no such model as the Gateway 2600 exists.  I also
searched the net for the model number just in case the tech I corresponded
with didn't know what he was talking about, but I could find no mention of a
Gateway 2600.

2.  Is T. Max's posting style indicative of his general educational style?
Does he walk up to students or lecture attendees and yell, "BZZZZT!  Wrong
answer, numbnuts!"

Just curious.

--doc

T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Quoting Roger from alt.destroy.microsoft; Thu, 16 Mar 2000 03:21:11 GMT
> >On 14 Mar 2000 23:06:05 -0500, someone claiming to be Norman D. Megill
> >wrote:

> I seem to be jumping in to the middle of a thread again.  Ho-hum.  What's
this
> about MS bugs?

> Oh, you're installing Win95 on a Gateway 2600 laptop.  Well, I gotta tell
you,
> Norman, that you can't really blame Microsoft for all the problems with
> Windows on laptops.  Laptops are just funny beasts by nature; the
difficulty
> of building a real set of standards for laptop hardware makes driver
problems
> a fact of life for laptop owners.  It would be nice if we had a standard
OS to
> provide some needed consistency, of course, and since we don't, we can
blame
> Microsoft, but that's one of the more general ways in which Microsoft has
> cheated consumers, manufacturers, and suppliers.  I don't think we're
going to
> get very far with Roger if we require such comprehensive thinking.  (I
don't
> think we're going to get very far with Roger at all, but that's because he
> won't provide any original discussion or go away; he's just here for
amusement
> value anyway.)
>
> So to get back to specifics...

> I'll leave my own judgements about the video driver "bug" to another reply
> up-thread.
>
> >>Interesting that because you've never heard of it, it therefore can't be
> >>an MS bug.
> >
> >How so?  What you have described would be a major bug if it were
> >generic to the OS, and would effect other video drivers as well.
>
> The simplistic "if all video drivers aren't affected, it isn't the OS"
> troubleshooting is bogus bullshit, Roger.  There are any manner of ways in
> which it can be Microsoft's fault, and the general statement "their OS
sucks"
> isn't too extreme to characterize the number of times *everybody else* has
> problems.  Its nice the way MS can take control and credit of your entire
PC,
> [...]
> >>PARTITIONED.  IN THAT CASE INSTALL LINUX TEMPORARILY UP TO FDISK, AND
> >>USE LINUX FDISK TO REMOVE ALL PARTITIONS AND CREATE A DOS PARTITION.
> >>Then then MS FDISK should start working.
> >>
> >>  fdisk /mbr  <- if boot sector is corrupted
> >
> >And since you have not mentioned that the boot sector is corrupt, this
> >could be skipped in any case.
>
> Why?  So that later when the OS pukes on itself and your apps and
> configurations again, it can be blamed on a bad hard disk?
>
> >>  (The following 2 formats change the label to uppercase to workaround
an
> >>  FDISK bug.)
> >
> >Why / how had they become lower case to begin with?
>
> Why/how is that relevant to the FDISK bug?
>
> >>  format /q c:
> >>  AL
> >>  format /q d:
> >>  AM
> >>  fdisk
> >>  3      (Delete partition or Logical DOS Drive)
> >>  4      (Delete Non-DOS Partition - says: No Non-DOS Partition to
delete)

> >If you know that there is not a non-DOS partition, why would you try
> >to delete it?
>
> To verify there is no non-DOS partition.  Did you miss the part above
about
> the MS bug which causes him to need to do this?
>
>    [...]
> >>10A. (Continuation point if just reinstalling Windows)
> >>  Note:  the /u is important because Windows is (more) flaky if
> >>  there is old random background data on the disk.
> >
> >Proof of the above assertion?
>
> When you're working with Windows, you *gotta* use "voodoo".  That goes
without
> saying by those beyond the "Microsoft dweeb" state you seem to be stuck
in,
> Roger.
>
> >>  format /u/c c:
> >>
> >>  Y      (Proceed with Format (Y/N)?)
> >>  [wait 10 min]
> >>  ENTER  (Volume label... [leave blank])
> >>
> >>11.  Install CD-ROM drivers as follows:
> >>
> >>  sys c:
> >
> >If you use the command  format /u /s c: you can skip the sys command
> >here.
>
> I'm sure Norman appreciate the helpful advice, numbnuts.
>
> >>  CTRL+ALT+DEL
> >
> >Or simply type "autoexec" at the a: prompt, since you seem to need the
> >batch processes.
>
> Sorry, that's more keystrokes.  ***BZZZZZZ*** You lose.
>
> >>  Select:  INSTALL CD-ROM DRIVERS ON YOUR HARD DRIVE
> >>  F1
> >>  Press space bar  (Press any key to return to the main menu.)
> >>  Select:  EXIT PROGRAM, GO BACK TO DOS
> >>
> >>12.  Take out boot diskette.  Put in Windows 95 CD.  Press CTRL+ALT+DEL.
> >>At C:\> prompt:
> >>
> >>  md cabs
> >>  e:
> >>  cd win95
> >>  copy *.* c:\cabs
> >
> >Not necessary -- Win95 installs just fine from CD.
>
> What a goofball.  Never gotten tagged by the "CD bootstrap" problem,
Roger?
> Never noticed how Win95 installs at least twice as fast from the hard
drive?
> Never needed the cabs for anything after the install?  Strike that, Roger;
> you're not a goofball; you're an idiot.
>
> The Gateway 2600, like many other systems both laptop and desktop, makes
it
> impossible for Windows to install "straight" from the CD.  It reboots
itself
> before detecting the CD drivers.  If you don't install from the hard
drive,
> you have to reboot manually and convince Windows to continue the install,
and
> you *DON'T* want to do that during the Gateway 2600 "magic steps"; the
install
> will NOT take, and that is, again, bitter experience.
>
> >>13.  Take out Windows 95 CD.  Put in Multimedia Notebook System CD.
> >>
> >>  cd win95\solo2300\vxdinf
> >>  copy *.* c:\cabs
> >
> >Likely not necessary, since this will install from CD as well.
>
> Your stupidity is only exceeded by your repetitiveness, Rog.
>
> >>  cd \
> >>  c:
> >>  cd \cabs
> >>  setup
> >>  ENTER   (...routine check... To continue, press ENTER. To quit Setup,
press ESC.)
> >>  x       (Select EXit)
> >
> >I would recommend the command setup /id (skips disk space check) /is
> >(skips Scandisk) /im (skips check for memory) /iq (skips check for
> >crosslinked files)
>
> Wow, you just saved him a good forty seconds in a forty minute install.
> Nifty.
>
> >Also, load SMARTDRV first -- the install will go * much * faster...
>
> You're not listening.  You're not paying any attention at all.  THIS IS
THE
> GATEWAY LAPTOP 2600 MAGIC INSTALL.  DO NOT F@CK WITH IT!  And stop trying
> make us feel comfortable having to make up for a BROKEN operating system
which
> requires being completely re-installed (and takes your app configurations
with
> it even if you *don't* reformat) on a routine basis.  JESUS you're stupid!
>
> >>18.  The computer will reboot.
> >>
> >>  Close    (Welcome to Windows)
>    [...]
> >>              OK in Select Device (NeoMagic MagicGraph 128XD should be
the
> >>                   only one) (2nd overlaid Select Device)
> >>          Monitor (Advanced Display Properties)
>    [...]
> >>              OK (Select Device)
> >>          Apply (Advanced Display Properties, Monitor)
>    [...]
> >>          Apply  (Display Properties) (WARNING: DO NOT PRESS 'CLOSE'
HERE
> >>                BECAUSE DISPLAY WILL DISAPPEAR, THE COMPUTER WILL LOCK
UP
> >>                PERMANENTLY EVEN IF YOU TRY TO REBOOT, AND YOU'LL HAVE
> >>                REFORMAT DISK AND START OVER
> >>        Yes (System Settings Change ...restart your computer now?)
> >
> >This restart in unnecessary, since you have other things to configure
>
> This restart is absolutely and completely necessary; if you don't reboot
now,
> those "other things" may be MISconfigured, and you'll have to do THE WHOLE
> THING OVER AGAIN FROM SCRATCH.
>
> >>19. The computer restarts.
>    [...]
> >>        No  (Systems Settings Change)
> >
> >Enabling the second controller is unnecessary -- on the reboot, it
> >will be enabled as a consequence of enabling the first one.
>
> Once again, you speak from lack of experience with this procedure.
Gateway
> seems to think it is necessary to check to make sure as there are many
parts
> of this install procedure which don't seem to work as "automatically" (or
at
> least correctly) as they're supposed to.  Couldn't be MS bugs, of course;
must
> be somebody else's fault.
>
>    [...]
> >>  Power on computer
> >
> >I would move this to before the PC Card stuff and avoid another boot.
>
> You would start over again from scratch.  Eventually, you would learn to
do
> all those parts that you're insisting aren't necessary now.  But you'd
still
> insist it isn't MS's fault; you'd blame Gateway.  If there was much else
> say for other manufacturers, I might even agree.  But the fact is, they
all do
> Windows, they all have problems.  You want to insist there can be no
causal
> link, and several years listening to that idea get pummeled into paste
aren't
> enough for you.  Dedication, or pig-headedness?  You decide.
>
> >>  Start
>    [...]
> >>    Shutdown
> >
> >And this reboot can be avoided by refreshing the DevMan.
>
> Says you.  And you're probably wrong again. And guess what that means?
Yes,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd
Subject: Packaging Tools
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 01:18:51 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when JEDIDIAH would say:
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Dr Sinister would say:
>>>Perhaps you meant to say "Install Shield by contrast is fast and easy."
>>
>>Of course, what is more precisely correct is that
>>
>>  "InstallShield is, in contrast with downloading tarballs, and then
>>  configuring, compiling, and installing them by hand, fast and easy."
>>
>>Which all adds up to an overall useless observation.
>>
>>It makes sense to compare the use of an RPM or dpkg package with the
>>use of an InstallShield package.
>>
>>Of course, this is a .advocacy group, where comparisons are made when
>>people feel like making them, where reason plays little role...
>
>       Even the tarbal vs. rpm argument is useful. Tarballs have the
>       benefit of being much more flexible with respect to dependencies.
>       If you happen to be a minor version behind on some library, a
>       recompile can be simpler. Besides, most tarballs are just a matter
>       of regurgitating a couple of standard sequences.
>
>       ./configure
>       make
>       make install
>
>       These are all fairly descriptive and intuitive (given the
>       activity) mnemonics. They should be easy enough to remember
>       after the 5th or 10th time.

A major merit of Ports, dpkg, and RPM are that they can be set up to
*not require that the human remember anything.*

I can set up a cron job (or a system configuration tool could do
so...) that goes off and looks for updates from a "trusted" site, and
which automagically installs things without the poor user even needing
to know any mnemonics.

If you want to argue for "./configure; make; make install", I suggest
you bounce that past the people doing BSD Ports work, as they may have
some elaborations to add...
--
Consciousness - that annoying time between naps.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Absolute failure of Linux dead ahead?
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 01:19:05 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Ronald Cole would say:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine) writes:
>> Would you rather we rewrite the kernel in Fortran or COBOL? :-)
>
>What's wrong with Modula-3?  ;)

Nothing in particular.

Of course, it wouldn't make sense to *merely* rewrite it in Modula-3;
it would make *more* sense to do some redesign to take advantage of
the functionality Modula-3 offers.

It's an interesting idea; some of the people that waste time
blathering about redoing Linux in C++ should take a look at the M3
option, and consider actually starting a project rather than merely
blathering about it...
--
I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/languages.html>