From: "Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Comparison: Installing W2K and Linux 2.4
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 00:10:15 +0500

In article <3a708092$0$1179$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Conrad Rutherford"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Oh really? Then perhaps you'll tell me why this article was taken from a
> PRO-LINUX website that was linked to by slashdot... (which is down right
> now, again!)
>
> http://www.thedukeofurl.org/reviews/misc/kernel2224/5.shtml

It's bogus because you windows zealots seem not to be able
understand the difference between "can" and "must".

Gary

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 05:21:52 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Timothy J. Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:94tbof$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <i4mc6.779$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >Activation doesn't require you to give any information, other than a one
> way
> > >hash code (similar to PGP public keys) generated from your hardware
> > >configuration.
> >
> > What happens if part of the hardware of the computer is replaced by
> > a different component?  E.g. suppose someone decides that s/he wants
> > to have the fancy new video card or whatever?

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.018% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: Cubic Meter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 00:33:46 -0500

Steve Withers wrote:

> G'day
>
> I've been following developments closely on this.
>
> It appears that sometime this year all new Microsot software will need
> to be registered....or it will cease to function.
>
> This may offer OS alternatives like Linux a huge toe in the desktop
> door. With more and more homes being networked and having multiple PCs,
> how many home and small business users are going to be forced to pay up
> and stop using the "One CD fits all" approach they use today?
>
> In my own case.....I would have to upgrade 7 home PCs every year for
> both Windows and MS Office.....to the tune of lots of dosh per annum. As
> it is, I now have 3 of those systems on Linux...and quite happily.
>
> But some of my family members are reluctant to give up Windows. I may
> have to suggest to them that they pay for it in future....as I will only
> be paying for Linux software from 2001 onward.
>
> It is intersting that the US produced Windows......the country with
> one-party (two faction) politics has also given us no choice on the
> desktop. While politically diverse Europe with multi-party, proportional
> systems as the politcal norm, has given us Open Software and Linux....
>
> Sort of the illusion of freedom (US politics) vs the reality of freedom
> (European politics - outside Britain).
>
> There is an underlying cultural thing operating here somewhere...... :-)
>
> Steve

Well, now, it isn't as deep as that. Microsoft dominates the desktop market
because it was free to pursue that and push its product hard. I don't see
anything wrong with that. MS has recently went over the line in some of its
tactics, but that may be subsiding. As someone else points out, there are
no American OSs that are open source? America has never developed anything
for the free software community? Bull. It doesn't have anything to do with
politics as much as your post has made it out to be.

Besides, about the registration thing, just wait awhile and someone will
have a registration code cracker out. Take WinZip as an example. They give
a free full version evaluation copy, which promts you for a reg code every
time you start it. I went surfing on the web and found a simple little
cracker prog that generates a fake reg code and viola. Now, I'm not
condoning it, but what the hell. Someone will be out w/ an M$ cracker soon.

m^3

------------------------------

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft DEATH NECKLESS is COMPLETE!!!
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 00:49:46 -0500

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

> They 'bet the farm' on w2k. They lost but they have so much cash
> they can ride the storm.

Yea, they lost. That's why within 9 months of release the OS appears on 3%
of desktops surfing the net. Linux is still hovering around .3% and it's
FREE!!!!

>They are now betting the farm on the
> xbox and .net.

I thought they already bet the farm and lost???  Did they buy a new farm and
bet that one??? Why is Microsoft even buying farms???

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 27 Jan 2001 05:52:10 GMT

I despise them both. :)

=====.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 00:00:00 -0600

"David" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> >
> > "Timothy J. Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:94tbof$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > way
> > >
> > > What happens if part of the hardware of the computer is replaced by
> > > a different component?  E.g. suppose someone decides that s/he wants
> > > to have the fancy new video card or whatever?
> >
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/16274.html

And?  Your article is from 3 days earlier.  My article mentions that article
and comments that it's unnecesary.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (spewage forth)
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 Major Advance
Date: 27 Jan 2001 06:00:56 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:94s88j$11i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > "J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > Then you have no idea how the scientific world works. All studies
>> > are sponsored by someone, but it doesn't affect the outcome of
>> > the study.
>>
>> Then you have never been involved in the 'scientific world'.
>>
>> I have.  I was involved in radon research in the late 80s-early90s
>> in northeastern pennsylvania.
>>
>> I can tell you that under no uncertian terms, sponsorship absolutely
>> affects the outcome of these studies.

> Ah yes, anecdotal qualified evidence. Suddenly, this makes everything
> ok.

Sorry chad, I didnt mean to interrupt your steady stream of bullshit
with actual experience.

> Whatever.

Everyone who disagrees with chad is wrong.  I see.

And every study which shows that linux is in any way superior to windows
is biased.

And you're talking about anecdotal evidence.

Huh...sure sounds fucking nuts when you put it all together, eh?

> Have you ever taken an aspirin? I'm sure you probably take Zoloft
> or Prozac (or maybe you aren't, which is why you are this way?)

I'll bet you werent breast fed as a child.

Or maybe you were...for a little too long.

--.---

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: 3100 W2K Adv Servers deployed accross Europe
Date: 27 Jan 2001 16:37:27 +1100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert) writes:

>Whistler is going to be a weekend at Bernies.

Sorry, but you'll have to have your weekend with whistler somewhere else :-)

Bernie
--
Biography should be written by an acute enemy
A.J. Balfour

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 06:14:55 GMT

Said Chris Ahlstrom in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sat, 27 Jan 2001
>ono wrote:
   [...]
>> and that they are a lot more stable then the competition
>
>Whom is the competition you speak of?

Are you sure?  Isn't it "who"?

>> (unless
>> you install crapy software on the same box). The reason I started to give
>> the ms-only pc a try was because of netscape 4.0.. (which really messed up
>> my machine!).
>
>Netscape does have some problems.  I've used the latest version only
>on Linux, and it has some internal flaws and one big boner (awful
>mistake) with the address book.

Netscape has always sucked.  It has always sucked less than IE, but
other than that, and the fact that Opera is just *too* rudimentary with
the bookmarks feature (the only useful feature of a browser which isn't
a given), it sucks.  Buggy, leaky, internal flaws you could lose a date
in.

   [...]
>> Btw: backward compatibility doesn't bother me because I'm running the latest
>> and greatest.
>
>Unfortunately, not everyone likes having to lay down money periodically
>and then finding out they have to keep using the old version to keep
>their customers happy.  Or vice versa.
>
>Maybe XML format will make the compatibility a little better, but it
>seems like compatibility is no longer an issue with Microsoft.
>People will keep buying.  And no one can easily keep up with their
>churning changes.

Maybe you're trying too hard: he's blowing smoke.  Backward
compatibility doesn't bother him because he started using computers
about six months ago.

>> Btw2: I think they do a really good job at trying. I'd be happy my sw was
>> that much backward-compatible ;-).

At least Chad and Erik are of age.

>Word seems to change radically with every new version.

The violence done to that software, I swear...

>Microsoft does put a lot of effort towards whatever they try to do.

And the only thing they ever try to do is monopolize.

>I just think their goals are often selfish, to the detriment of the customer
>and his/her pocketbook.

"Often"?

>Like, we'll probably have to shell out for the
>new version of Visio from Microsoft because our client bought it, and
>we're still using the old version, and cannot access their Visio
>documents.  We would prefer to devote our money to more important things.
>Sigh.  Or, we may have the option of annoying them by asking them to
>save-as the old version format.

Or, we may have some legal relief, in the next few months.  Sure, it
could take a year or more to work through the industry, but look how
much discussion, if not development, there is on Linux in just the last
few months....

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 06:20:11 GMT

Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sat, 27 Jan 2001 04:18:45
>"Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> ono wrote:

   [...]
>As a note, I'm not familiar with Visio, but Word always had (free) viewers.
>I'm not sure if Visio has it as well.

Bwah-ha-ha!  No, Visio was the 'lock in' KING.  They even trumped
Microsoft.  Though to be honest, high-end graphics programs have always
thrived on preventing competition for just their market segment, by
utilizing a private file format.  One must suppose that perhaps there's
even market efficiencies involved.  But the fact is that the ability to
view a Visio drawing is limited to Visio drawings which have been
embedded in Office documents.  Go figure.

>So you don't have to buy the new version (or annoy the clients) to read
>newer formats.

No such luck.  I'm sure Visio2000 SP1 will be incomprehensible, even if
the current rev is still unchanged.

>Of course, IMO, MS should put those viewers on the Win* Cd and have it
>installed by default. PDF Reader, too, if Adobe would allow it. And I don't
>see that it wouldn't want to.
>I always create custom scripts for installing windows and install a couple
>of viewers, btw.

The fact is, there is no reason whatsoever that every software vendor
wouldn't want to make their software as compatible as possible.  Used to
be, back before MS started getting really aggressive with their
monopoly, and were happy just making sure everyone used a brain-dead OS,
that it was taken for granted that an app developer would provide as
much interoperability and compatibility as he could figure out how to
provide.

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 08:01:05 +0200

"Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> > "Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > was
> > >
> > > Word seems to change radically with every new version.
> > >
> > > Microsoft does put a lot of effort towards whatever they try to do.
> > > I just think their goals are often selfish, to the detriment of the
> > customer
> > > and his/her pocketbook.  Like, we'll probably have to shell out for
the
> > > new version of Visio from Microsoft because our client bought it, and
> > > we're still using the old version, and cannot access their Visio
> > > documents.  We would prefer to devote our money to more important
things.
> > > Sigh.  Or, we may have the option of annoying them by asking them to
> > > save-as the old version format.
> >
> > As a note, I'm not familiar with Visio, but Word always had (free)
viewers.
> > I'm not sure if Visio has it as well.
> > So you don't have to buy the new version (or annoy the clients) to read
> > newer formats.
> > Of course, IMO, MS should put those viewers on the Win* Cd and have it
> > installed by default. PDF Reader, too, if Adobe would allow it. And I
don't
> > see that it wouldn't want to.
> > I always create custom scripts for installing windows and install a
couple
> > of viewers, btw.
>
> Well, are the viewers backward compatible?

Yes.

> Can an older viewer view the new
> format of documents?

That is upward compatible, and since Word itself is not upward compatible,
it would be a surprise if the viewers were upward compatible.
They aren't.

> Even if so, we still have the problem of passing documents back and forth
> for editing.  Microsoft makes sure you cannot do that.  Sometimes, they
provide
> a conversion program, and maybe you'll stumble across the notice that such
> is available.

Open document with viewer, copy & paste the document to a program that can
understand it (Frex, most of Word2K documents can be copy & paste to 97. You
may lose some features, though)

> On linux, since PDF documents are postscript, viewing is pretty easy.
> xpdf ships with the distro.
>
> SGML, and, I'd guess, TeX, allow the generation of Postscript.  But we
> had this arg before, and you can always use a Postscript printer driver
> to write the postscript to a file.

Yep, if you've a postscript driver (and they are easily obtainable, you can
create PS documents.

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 06:23:44 GMT

Said ono in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sat, 27 Jan 2001 02:10:50 +0100;

>"> > I'm interrested too. Would be fun to have something to compile into my
>apps
>> > that is actually capable of crashing W2K.
>> > btw: I actually crashed a few boxes but the I'm the one writing the
>kernel
>> > drivers so everybody knew it was me ;-).
>>
>> Translation: Ono admits he's on the Microsoft payroll.
>?????
>Yeah sure, they pay me more in a day then anybody will pay you in a
>lifetime.

Wow.  A real live Microsoft employee.  Right here in
alt.destroy.microsoft.  :-D

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 06:24:38 GMT

Said Chris Ahlstrom in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sat, 27 Jan 2001
04:39:09 GMT;
>ono wrote:
>>
>> "> > I'm interrested too. Would be fun to have something to compile into my
>> apps
>> kernel
>> >
>> > Translation: Ono admits he's on the Microsoft payroll.
>> ?????
>> Yeah sure, they pay me more in a day then anybody will pay you in a
>> lifetime.
>
>Too bad you'll never earn 1/1000th of what your master, William H.
>Gates, earns.  And he gets the fun of yelling and screaming at
>his minions.

Pardon; that's 1/100000000 of what Gates *gets*.  We'll leave what he
'earns' as the speculation it is.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 06:26:24 GMT

Said Bob Hauck in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sat, 27 Jan 2001 01:43:49
GMT;
>On Fri, 26 Jan 2001 22:07:02 +0100, ono <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>The boys at our place have a big HP box (~400mhz, 1Gig Ram >30'000 euro) for
>>doing VHDL synthesis. But since they got the NT version of the software they
>>all run it on no-name  ( 500mhz, 256 Meg Ram < 1500 euro) intel pc's. Guess
>>why they do that?
>
>Somebody made them all use the *one* HP because of the cost?  The NT
>version is newer and suports the current parts that the HP version
>lacks?
>
>I'll bet if you ask the engineers they would be happier with a Linux
>version of the new one so they could keep using all their old scripts
>and such.

Yea, see, there you go.  The engineers are perfectly happy with their
point and click, because increasing the price by orders of magnitude is
not their problem, and its the only way they can get an improvement in
this software, once MS made it clear the developers better lock
themselves in....

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NTFS Limitations (Was: RE: Red hat becoming illegal?)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 06:27:51 GMT

Said Chad Myers in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sat, 27 Jan 2001 03:35:48
   [...]

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 06:33:45 GMT

Said Chad Myers in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sat, 27 Jan 2001 01:20:31
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:94s88j$11i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > "J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > Then you have no idea how the scientific world works. All studies
>> > are sponsored by someone, but it doesn't affect the outcome of
>> > the study.
>>
>> Then you have never been involved in the 'scientific world'.
>>
>> I have.  I was involved in radon research in the late 80s-early90s
>> in northeastern pennsylvania.
>>
>> I can tell you that under no uncertian terms, sponsorship absolutely
>> affects the outcome of these studies.
>
>Ah yes, anecdotal qualified evidence. Suddenly, this makes everything
>ok.
>
>Whatever.
>
>Have you ever taken an aspirin? I'm sure you probably take Zoloft
>or Prozac (or maybe you aren't, which is why you are this way?)

I think you misread the post, Chad.

Believe it or not, he was agreeing with you.  Guffaw!

Kind of shows how quick you are to whip out the derision in place of
argument, eh?

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 06:39:49 GMT

Said Chad Myers in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sat, 27 Jan 2001 01:22:56
   [...]
>I'm not saying that influce CAN'T happen, I'm saying that there
>are trusted scientific sources which can provide unbiased,
>uninfluenced results in a study. NTSL, Gartner, and others.
>Mindcraft was also one of these (they've done many studies),
>until the Penguinistas unjustly destroyed their reputation.
>Just shows you how insecure Penguinistas are. If something
>shows the obvious flaws in their OS, then suddenly the show-er
>is the devil and must be purged.

I just wanted to say that I thought that was one of the *funniest*
paragraphs I've ever read!

>Why can't you guys take constructive criticism and recognize
>the glaring weaknesses in your OS, fix them, move on and
>become better people?

We can.  That's what's funny; your point isn't to 'criticize' any
'weaknesses'; you're a TROLL and anyone reading your posts KNOWS IT.
The whole thing about "Mindcraft's reputation [being] unjustly
destroyed" is positively HILARIOUS!

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A salutary lesson about open source
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 06:40:51 GMT

Said Steve Mading in comp.os.linux.advocacy on 26 Jan 2001 18:17:26 GMT;
wrote:

>: So you would deny that Dell obtains a significant, if not
>: majority of their revenue from the web? (If you would,
>: you'd be wrong).
>
>You weren't talking about just Dell.  You were talking about
>the entire Fortune 500.  Dell is not a typical representative
>of the Fortine 500.  You are so fscking dishonest.

Isn't he, though?

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 06:42:49 GMT

Said Chad Myers in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sat, 27 Jan 2001 01:14:47
>"Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:94sevm$i7m$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> : So you would deny that Dell obtains a significant, if not
>> : majority of their revenue from the web? (If you would,
>> : you'd be wrong).
>>
>> You weren't talking about just Dell.  You were talking about
>> the entire Fortune 500.  Dell is not a typical representative
>> of the Fortine 500.  You are so fscking dishonest.
>
>Ah, so now everything has to fit into your narrow view of
>what is "representative"?

Bwah-ha-ha-ha.

>You said it wasn't, I showed you were wrong, now you change
>the goal lines again.
>
>Would you consider Merril Lynch, Fidelity, Hewlett-Packard,
>Compaq, MCI, Morgan Stanely Dean Witter, Motorola, Intel,
>Ingram Micro, Time Warner, and Microsoft representative?

Of....?

>Those are all companies from the Top 100 of the Fortune
>500 list. These are all companies who have huge stakes
>in the web. They also have revenues over $19million.
>There are many more which I didn't mention.

Well, Microsoft just outsourced their *DNS*, since they couldn't seem to
work it out themselves (and you'd think ADS would be so *easy* to *just
install*, wouldn't you?) so I don't know if they count, specifically...

>So, just admit you're wrong and let's move on.

Wrong about what?