From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 08:28:32 GMT

Russ Lyttle writes:

> For those not inclined to read below I will recap. Tholen claims use of
> power cords is intuitive.

Correct; people do not generally need to consult a manual to know what
to do with a power cord.  Do you disagree?

> I give several counter examples about power cords behaving in ways
> people do not expect, and of people doing strange things with power
> cords.

None of your so-called "counter examples" prove that people generally do
not know what to do with a power cord without reading a manual.  For those
inclined to not believe me, read below.

> Tholen counters that that wasn't fair as the users couldn't have known
> about that or couldn't see inside the TV set or some such.

Where did I allegedly say anything about "fair", Russ?  I simply stated
that people generally know what to do with a power cord without consulting
a manual.  What might happen inside a set is quite irrelevant to that issue.
Whether the circuit is broken by a fuse or an internal socket-plug interface
is also irrelevant.  The issue is whether people generally know what to do
with a power cord without consulting a manual.

> This attitude is one think I especially dislike about MS software.
> Everything is proclaimed to be "intuitive", when in fact, nothing in
> this universe is "intuitive", not even the simple power cord.

Really?  You need a manual to know what to do with a power cord on some
new appliance???  Why do you think the word "intuitive" exists?

> If you don't test your product agains a naif user, expect it to fail in
> the field, no matter how "intuitive" you thought it was.

Looks like you're one of those people who thinks "intuitive" is an
absolute.  If it doesn't work for everyone, then it can't be intuitive.
Sorry, but the word isn't defined that way.

> Murphy originally said, "If someone can f**k it up, they will." It lost
> meaning in the translation.

Doesn't render everything non-intuitive.

>> Note:  no response.

Note:  still no response.

>> Note:  no response.

Note:  still no response.

>> Note:  no response.

Note:  still no response.

>> Note:  no response.

Note:  still no response.

>>> It does if the set is in the US.

>> The set is in the US, and the power cord cannot be removed from the
>> rear of the unit.

> Bet if you open the box the power cord will stay with the case and
> unplug from the chassis.

Irrelevant, given that the case you brought up was moving the set,
not taking it apart.

> Or did you think they had 6 feet of power cord
> curled up inside the case?

Also irrelevant to the case of moving the set that you brought up.

>>> If you open the case the power cord comes unplugged from the set.

>> When people move a set around, they don't usually open the case
>> first.  You were talking about moving a set around, not opening
>> a case.  Do try to be consistent.

> No but they yank on the power cord.

Not necessarily.  Some of us were taught to grasp the plug, not yank
on the cord.

> On older sets it was pretty obvious.

That they yanked on the power cord?

> I can understand people not grasping that fact on the newer sets.

The fact that they yanked on the power cord?

>>> You have to use a "cheater" cord to power
>>> up the set once it has been opened.

>> But you weren't talking about opening a set.  You were talking about
>> moving a set around, which doesn't require that it be opened up.

> Sure. Move the set. Forget to unplug it first or step on the cord. The
> resulting strain unplugs the cord at the set end.

Isn't that what I first asked about?

RL] Unplug it before moving the set.

DT] Are you saying that the cord was damaged from strain?

> Intuitive, right?

Irrelevant, right?

>>> Sometimes the set end comes loose,
>>> especially if someone doesn't unplug before moving the set.

>> If you're talking about some internal connection that can't be seen
>> by the user, then that doesn't serve as an argument against my claim
>> that the power cord is intuitive.

> Its a power cord. It should be intuitive.

And it is.  They plug the appliance in and expect it to be powered.
You claimed that it's not intuitive, and tried to prove it by pointing
to service calls that you made, but you have yet to describe a single
case involving someone who didn't know enough to plug it in.  Instead
you've talked about an internal connection coming undone, bent prongs,
and such, none of which illustrates a case in which the user didn't
know enough to plug the cord into a wall outlet without consulting a
manual.

>>> It can often be reinserted by simply pushing on the back of the set
>>> near the power cord.

>> Does that somehow make the power cord not intuitive?

> Was it intuitive that you should push on the back of the set to
> reconnect the power cord?

I wasn't talking about that end of the cord.  What is intuitive is the
end that people plug into a wall socket.

>> Note:  no response.  It's very easy to be unaware of an internal
>> connection coming loose.

> Lets see. You say a power cord is intuitive.

Correct; people do not generally need to consult a manual to know what
to do with a power cord.  Do you disagree?

> I point out some non intuitive things about power cords.

You point out some thing that has nothing to do with the end that
people generally know goes into a wall socket (strain that causes an
internal connection to become lost, which says nothing about the
user's intuition regarding what to do with the other end of the power
cord).

> You say they weren't intuitive because the user didn't know about them.

On the contrary, I said "It's very easy to be unaware of an internal
connection coming loose."  That has nothing to do with knowing what
to do with the other end of the cord.

> My Websters defines intuitive as "capable of being know by intuition.
> And it defines intuition as "direct perception of fact independent of
> any reasoning process".

And experience with other electrical appliances means that people
generally do not need to apply any reasoning process to know what to
do with the power cord of a new appliance.

> But you argue that my examples of non intuitive facts about power cords
> are invalid because they are not intuitive.

On the contrary, I said "It's very easy to be unaware of an internal
connection coming loose."  That has nothing to do with knowing what
to do with the other end of the cord.

>>> I'll send you the next three pronged plug I get that has had the third
>>> prong bent or broken by the user. I kept one for years that someone had
>>> managed to plug the third prong into the hot side of the socket. They
>>> didn't understand why their GFI tripped every time they turned on the
>>> set.

>> Was it bent or broken intentionally so that the set could be plugged
>> into a outlet that hadn't been upgraded with three-prong outlets?  I
>> can't think of any other reason why someone would do that.

> It was intuitive.

   "nothing in this universe is 'intuitive'"
      --Russ Lyttle

Do make up your mind.

> You only need two prongs to get electricity, so if you break off the
> third prong, you will use less electricity and your bill will be
> cheaper.

Which is the unneeded third prong?

>>> The classic case for this is an event in Idaho where a technician
>>> plugged a multi-pronged cord in backwards and killed himself when the
>>> research reactor he was working on "pulsed". No one living could
>>> understand why he went to the trouble to bend those pins to make it fit.

>> Does that make the power cord non-intuitive?

> It is a good example of how relying on things being "intuitive" is
> dangerous.

Oh really?  Was it intuitive to intentionally modify the prongs to
permit plugging the cord in backward?

>>> If the power cord was that intuitive, they would have checked, now
>>> wouldn't they?

>> Did they succeed in plugging both in, in the first place?  When something
>> stops working that was previously working, they tend to think of what
>> might have changed.  If there is no reason for the power cord to have
>> become unplugged, then it makes sense to consider the possibility that
>> there is a problem with the unit itself and not the power cord.

Note:  no response.

>>> They wouldn't bend prongs to get it plugged in. They
>>> would unplug it before trying to work on the set. In this industry, you
>>> cannot assume that anything is intuitive for a sufficient percentage of
>>> your customer base.

>> And just what percentage of the people do you need to plug power cords
>> in for them?

Note:  no response.

>>> Never had your own service business have you? Overhead, book keeping,
>>> accounting, taxes, etc. all mean that a charge less than a minimum is a
>>> loss. The service charge for one hour is that minimum in this case.

>> It takes you an hour to do all the book keeping, accounting, and so on
>> for a one-minute service call?

Note:  no response.

comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 08:30:50 GMT

Russ Lyttle writes:

> Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

>> Russ Lyttle wrote:

>>> California is having power problems right now because of this problem.
>>> It applies not only to VCRs but to TV sets, computers, and many other
>>> new pieces of electronic equipment. The HDTV I worked on pulled over 10
>>> amps when the power switch was in the "off" position.

>> 10 AMPS!
>>
>> At 120 volts RMS, Thats 1200 WATTS!

> Yep. Your A/C has to work over time to cool down the room. The 3
> projection tubes were kept hot to extend their life, plus the computer
> doing the convergence and alignment had to be kept running. Moving the
> set or a long power outage resulted in  a technician having to make a
> service call. Turning the set on essentially unblanked the video. So
> "on" power was only about 12-13 amps. It would have problems on 15 amp
> circuits, but be OK on 20 amp circuits. Unfortunately, most modern
> electrical equipment  (wall sockets, for example) are only rated for 15
> amps even if the circuit breaker is 20 amps. That is acceptable under
> NFPA code.

Doesn't sound like the sort of equipment you're going to find in the
average household.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 08:33:35 GMT

Russ Lyttle writes:

>>> California is having power problems right now because of this problem.
>>> It applies not only to VCRs but to TV sets, computers, and many other
>>> new pieces of electronic equipment. The HDTV I worked on pulled over 10
>>> amps when the power switch was in the "off" position.

>> What was it doing?  And was it designed to that?  And is that 10 amps
>> from a 120 VAC outlet?  What in an HDTV could possibly need 1200 watts
>> when off?

> The projection tubes. Ever notice that light bulbs frequently burn out
> when you turn them on, but seldom burn out after they have been on for a
> while? This was a 72" diagonal projection set. You keep the tubes hot so
> they don't burn out so fast. The initial power surge when turning on a
> cold tube causes most of the failures. I had a Curtis-Mathis color set
> in the 60s that lasted until the early 80s without a tube replacement
> because it kept the filaments at 1/2 power when the set was off.

Which has nothing to do with the fact that the set was of the HDTV
variety.  Why didn't you say "The 72-inch projection TV set" instead
of the "The HDTV I worked on"?  Being of the HDTV variety is quite
irrelevant.

------------------------------

From: "Chad C. Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Uptimes
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 08:34:10 GMT

"Salvador Peralta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Chad C. Mulligan" wrote:
> >
> > "Pan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Uptime is usually a server consideration.  There are 2 mail servers on
> > > linux, sendmail and postfix, that are head and shoulders above the 1
win
> > > offering of note in terms of reliability and scalability.  There are 2
> > > http servers, apache and tux, that beat the hell out of the 1 win
> > > offering of note in terms of reliability.
> >
> > Which one win offering were you referring to:  Domino/Notes, SMTP,
Exchange,
> > Groupwise or the old MS Mail?
>
> Domino exists on many server platforms including linux.  Domino is
> integrating sendmail into their next release to improve its scalability
> and reliability.  SMTP is the name of the protocol that all of these
> servers use.  MS mail is not an enterprise mail server.  Haven't tried
> groupwise.  Guess that leaves exchange.

Because an application exists on another platform doesn't eliminate it's
usefulness on WindowsNT/2000.

------------------------------

From: "Chad C. Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 08:34:37 GMT

"sfcybear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:90sog5$1h2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <VGjY5.10172$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Chad C. Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > "sfcybear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:90sdg9$qb9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Ah, the very old line, I don't know how they did it, so it can't be
> > > done. Sorry, Chad, Just because you or anyone outside of Netcraft
> does
> > > not know how netcraft get's the numbers does NOT prove Nectraft does
> not
> > > know how to do it.
> > >
> > > Are you claiming that Netcraft is making up the numbers?
> > >

> > Prove they aren't.....
>

> Yeah, right! next you'll claim that the black Netcraft has launched a
> fleet of black helecopters to take over the Microsoft Headquarters!
>
> This one you need to prove, PROVE THAT NETCRAFT DOES NOT KNOW A WAY TO
> GET THE NUMBERS.

Don't need to, you already have.

------------------------------

From: "Chad C. Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 08:35:58 GMT

"sfcybear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:90soj5$1pt$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <ZOhY5.5053$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > "Stephen King" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> rebooted
> In fact
> setup phase.
> hardware
> > >
> > > Moot point - there is still no Windows machine in the top 50.
> >
> > Top 50 of whay? Netcraft's admittedly unscientific method of
> > determining uptime?
> >
> > Please, explain to us how you can accurately determine the uptime
> > of a Windows machine (or any, for that matter) remotely without
> > any permissions on that box without constantly pinging it?
> >
> > Can't? Right, because there is no way. Netcraft must be magic, then.
>
> Prove this last satement. Prove that there is no way to get the numbers.
> IF you clan not prove it, you can not make this claim.

LOL, you never prove anything Matt, yet you have the audacity to make this
statement, good drugs eh?

<trimmed>

------------------------------

From: "Chad C. Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 08:37:17 GMT

"sfcybear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:90sopp$1qp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <1BiY5.9817$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Chad C. Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > "Stephen King" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> rebooted
> In
> > fact
> setup
> > phase.
> > hardware
> > >
> > > Moot point - there is still no Windows machine in the top 50.
> > >

> > In the top 50 of a majorly flawed data gathering process.  Moot
> indeed.
> >

> Prove that they got unreliable information from the top 50!

The onus is on you to prove the reliability of the figures you present as
facts.

<trimmed>

------------------------------

From: "Chad C. Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 sucks compared to linux
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 08:40:16 GMT

"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sat, 09 Dec 2000 04:56:04 GMT,
> Chad C. Mulligan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Linux was used on the Titanic but the render farm had to be augmented by
> >utilizing NT boxes after they had finished doing the design work.  The
Linux
> >render farm, as designed wasn't up to the task.  If you are looking for
> >referrences to what I say, check out the TITANIC thread in this group and
> >COLA from about 20 months ago.
> >

> Just so the crowd doesn't think your full of shit,
> give us just one link to a web site which proves this.
>
> Just one.

Try deja.com the whole thread is there in all it's glory.  BTW, I cannot
remember the name of the article that was quoted in that thread by Matt and
Stephen Edwards.  I'm sure a search on deja will return the info you need.

> >Really funny, the company I work for at this time does support for
Disney,
> >Universal and are negotiating with Paramount and guess what not a Linux
box
> >to be found the VP at Universal says they can't use Linux because their
> >internal TCO study found Linux too high compared to Windows NT.
> >

> And what company would that be?

Can't say.

> Thanks for bringing up Disney.  They made TRON
> with a non-windows based computer also.

Amiga IIRC.

> I almost forgot that.
>
> As far as your comment about Disney not using Linux
> or FreeBSD to do animation work, your fucked.

They don't

> Nobody does any sort of animation work on Windows
> anywhere.
>
> You couldn't point us to one web site which does.

Who cares about web sites, I'm talking about movies.