From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Subject: Re: Why Linux on the desktop?
Date: 3 Apr 2000 22:16:09 GMT

Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "John W. Stevens" wrote:
>> [Mathias Warkus wrote:]

>> > Writing HTML is not programming.
>>
>> Yes it is.

> I agree.  I would consider HTML and {TeX,LaTeX} programming
> languages.  In html, you are programming a web browser to display
> something.  The browser acts as an interpreter for HTML.  And, of
> course, HTML is "Hyper Text Markup Language".  Writing a TeX app is
> also programming, in my view.  You are basically programming a
> typesetter when writing a [La]TeX document.

You would be wrong.  Theyre scripting languages, as are TCL, Perl,
Python, etc.  Programming languages would include:

C++
Fortran
Pascal

If you do not understand the difference between scripting and
programming, you are a scripter, not a programmer. :)

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: it is OUT, MS is GUILTY !
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 18:33:54 -0400

bob@nospam wrote:

> Judge Rules Against Microsoft
>
>  WASHINGTON (AP) - A federal judge today found that Microsoft Corp.
>  (NasdaqNM:MSFT - news)
>  violated the Sherman Antitrust Act, legal sources said.
>
> U.S. District Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson found that the company used its
> position to ``monopolize the web browser market'' to the detriment of
> competitors, the sources said.
>
> The judge found that Microsoft could also be liable under state
> anticompetition laws, said the sources, who spoke only on condition of
> anonymity.
>
> http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20000403/ts/microsoft_44.html

Lets see if the powers that be have the guts to do what is right and
needed, and break up Microsoft!!!!

--
Mohawk Software
Windows 9x, Windows NT, UNIX, Linux. Applications, drivers, support.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: BEOS 5 the new star in OS's
From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 03 Apr 2000 16:45:54 -0600

Sascha Bohnenkamp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > It is unix-ish under the hood.
>
> more or less
>
> >  It's kind of interesting to play with,
> > if you have the spare time.  It really shines with threaded multimedia
> > applications
>
> which? name three

You're not really interested.

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 22:59:47 GMT

On 03 Apr 2000 16:45:54 -0600, Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Sascha Bohnenkamp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> > It is unix-ish under the hood.
>>
>> more or less
>>
>> >  It's kind of interesting to play with,
>> > if you have the spare time.  It really shines with threaded multimedia
>> > applications
>>
>> which? name three
>
>You're not really interested.

        He's rather justfied. Be may or may not live up to the hype.
        Based on your response, it doesn't. That's a shame really...

------------------------------

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 3 Apr 2000 23:03:05 GMT

bob@nospam wrote:
: Judge Rules Against Microsoft

I managed to download the decision (in pieces - the server was
obviously very heavily loaded) and am rather impressed at the efforts
Judge Jackson and his staff made to understand the issues involved.
The findings look fairly airtight from both a factual and legal
standpoint, and should largely survive the appeals process.

The ruling will have little *direct* impact.  It may be years before
the appeals process is exhausted, and meaningful settlement on terms
that are fair to the industry is extremely unlikely.  What should and
hopefully will happen, though, is that now that evidence of
Microsoft's tortious and criminal actions is a matter of public
record, those who have been most heinously damaged by these actions
will now be in an excellent position to recover much of what has been
stolen from them.

In spite of Microsoft's best efforts, Linux, Java, and Netscape (or
possibly Mozilla) are still alive, as are other powerful technologies
that threaten to destroy the "applications barrier to entry" far more
effectively than any court could.  Monopolies are inherently evil, but
also inherently unsustainable.

Future developments should be very interesting indeed.

Joe

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Steinberg)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: 10 things with Linux I wish I knew before i jumped
Date: 3 Apr 2000 23:18:05 GMT

JOE ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: What are the 10 things about Linux you wish you knew before you got a
: copy and started installing?

Just one: "Running Linux" by Matt Welsh, Matthias Kalle Dalheimer & Lar
Kaufman, published by (who else?) O'Reilly and Associates.

Someone told me to get a good book before I started, so I went to Chapters
and picked one.  It was the thickest Linux book in the store, and seemed
to cover the most topics, plus it came with RedHat, Slackware, and Caldera
CD's.

Boy, was that ever the biggest waste of $80!  For some reason, it felt it
was useful to guide you, keystroke by keystroke, through all three
distributions' installations, but beyond that only covered user-level
topics.  It didn't explain how anything worked, nor what files to edit for
what configuration.  It didn't even talk about the configuration utilities
provided by those distrbutions!  In short, if you wanted to do anything
after installation more complicated than changing permissions on a file,
you were on your own.

I bought a copy of the third edition of "Running Linux" about 6 months
ago, and I think that it's the best book I've ever purchased!  It answers
all my questions about every topic, from initialization to shutdown, and
all points in between, including networking, managing filesystems,
security, configuring X, installing applications, and compiling your
kernel.

I would never suggest to a newbie to start learning Linux without
recommending this book.

Okay, I know that sounded like a paid advertisement, but it's totally
sincere: all of the hardest questions are answered by this book.  My later
Linux experiences have been so rewarding compared to my earlier
experiences mainly because of this book.

--
David Steinberg                         -o)   Boycott Amazon.com!  Fight
Computer Engineering Undergrad, UBC     / \   the "1-Click Order" patent:

------------------------------

From: John & Susie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Let's just have a discussion about Global Domination
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 19:20:53 -0400

Aghhhh!!!  My eyes are bleeding! Use your spell checkers or drink a
better brand.

HTH,
John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Linux mail/news application questions
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 01:09:09 +0200

In article <8cah6m$abn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Just installed Linux Redhat 6.2 after a few years away from the OS.
> I'm stunned at how much is changed, but i'm beginning to miss the
> things which caused me to return to windows in the first place.
> I'd love a mail program that can sort and search mail. One that can
> automatically place mail in folders based on simple rules. A contact
> list that integrates with the mail program so I only have to maintain
> one list of contacts/email addresses. Netscape mail really sucks. It
> has corrupted my archives several times.

Why doesn't anyone use exmh? It's a front end to [n]mh and is written
entirely in tcl/tk. Does all that you want and lots more. Use procmail
to process incoming mail and you have a wonderful MUA environment.

> The news reading programs are very weak. I simply want the ability to
> select what articles I want to download, tell it to download, and have
> it happen. I'd also like the ability to have it automaticly combine
> and decode messages. Several windows programs, (outlook, agent, etc)
> have these abilities. I'm surprised Linux still doesn't.

leafnode is your friend here. If you want a gui threaded newsreader
try knews.

> Are there any modern applications in development that meet these
> needs? Everytime I tried to search for an answer to this question, I
> found a lot of advice saying to use mail, trn, etc. Yeah, I used those
> programs for a while; but I didn't upgrade to linux to use the same
> text based programs I used 10 years ago.
> Thanks,

I have only mentioned one MUA and one news reader here. With Linux
or any Unix you have such a large choice that there is something
for everyone.

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft NOT a monopoly
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 17:25:47 -0500

Tim Kelley wrote:

> I believe Gerald Holmes put this issue to rest a long time ago.

Yeah, I used to think MS was a monopoly, but then Bill Gates went on TV
and said it wasn't, so now I'm better informed.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: Jim Dabell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 23:34:14 +0100

abraxas wrote:

> Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> Yes it is.
>
> > I agree.  I would consider HTML and {TeX,LaTeX} programming
> > languages.  In html, you are programming a web browser to display
> > something.  The browser acts as an interpreter for HTML.  And, of
> > course, HTML is "Hyper Text Markup Language".  Writing a TeX app is
> > also programming, in my view.  You are basically programming a
> > typesetter when writing a [La]TeX document.
>
> You would be wrong.  Theyre scripting languages, as are TCL, Perl,
> Python, etc.  Programming languages would include:

> C++
> Fortran
> Pascal
>
> If you do not understand the difference between scripting and
> programming, you are a scripter, not a programmer. :)
>
> -----yttrx

Wrong again, they are markup languages.  Scripting languages are
complete (turing complete?  I forget the full term).  The only
difference between interpreted ("scripting" in your words) and compiled
("programming" in your words) languages is the implementation, as you
can have compiled Perl and interpreted C, etc.

You are still more right than the original poster though :)

Jim

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JoeX1029)
Subject: Cd-burning ulility...
Date: 03 Apr 2000 23:44:16 GMT

Is there a cd burning program for Linux thats lets you burn the image of a cd
right to the disk??  Thanks.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (eyez)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 23:54:07 GMT

EEk! snipped too much! ;) Topic: O'Reilly&Associates: Running Linux
>I would never suggest to a newbie to start learning Linux without
>recommending this book.
>
>Okay, I know that sounded like a paid advertisement, but it's totally
>sincere: all of the hardest questions are answered by this book.  My later
>Linux experiences have been so rewarding compared to my earlier
>experiences mainly because of this book.

Indeed. O'Reilly books Are second-to-none for Anything. If you want to
learn in linux, look first to O'Reilly.