Linux-Advocacy Digest #927, Volume #28            Tue, 5 Sep 00 15:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Computer and memory ("Stuart Fox")
  Re: philosophy is better than science (Phillip Lord)
  Re: Why I hate Windows... ("Nigel Feltham")
  Re: Why I hate Windows... ("Nigel Feltham")
  Re: Inferior Engineering of the Win32 Platform - was Re: Linsux as a desktop
platform ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.            Ballard
says    Linux growth stagnating (Donovan Rebbechi)
  Re: How low can they go...? ("Simon Cooke")
  Re: How low can they go...? ("Simon Cooke")
  Re: Sun cannot use Java for their servers!! ("Nigel Feltham")
  Re: Yeah!  Bring down da' man! (Will Ganz)
  Re: Why I hate Windows... ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: How low can they go...? ("Simon Cooke")
  Re: Sun cannot use Java for their servers!! ("Nigel Feltham")
  Re: How low can they go...? ("Simon Cooke")
  Re: Sun cannot use Java for their servers!! ("Nigel Feltham")
  Re: Sun cannot use Java for their servers!! ("Simon Cooke")
  Anybody want to collaborate on linux palmtop/slate/portable? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Inferior Engineering of the Win32 Platform - was Re: Linsux as a desktop
platform (abraxas)
  Re: Inferior Engineering of the Win32 Platform - was Re: Linsux as a  desktop
platform (abraxas)
  Re: The Test: Dial-up Connections (Nico Coetzee)

From: "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Computer and memory
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 18:31:56 +0100

"Darren Winsper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 05 Sep 2000 00:12:51 GMT, Chad Myers
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > How come it's always America helping out the Brits. What's the UK ever
> > done for us but give us some mohawked punk bands?
>
> At least us Brits know the meaning of the term "friendly fire".

Yeah, isn't that what you did to us Kiwis at Gallipoli?  :)

Stu

------------------------------

From: Phillip Lord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.infosystems.gis,comp.infosystems.www.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: philosophy is better than science
Date: 05 Sep 2000 18:49:37 +0100

  >> This is not necessarily the fault of the individuals as its built
  >> into the class system by which we run our society.

  Perry> There no "class system" in our society. It's a capitalist
  Perry> system.

        Yes. As I am sure you know the "free market" or "capitalism"
was more or less invented at the turn of 19th Century in my country
(the UK). It took over from the previous system which was essentially
a weak form of a feudal hierarchy. The invention of capitalism changed
some of the faces in the class system but thats about all. I think in
the short term it actually intensified the inequities of the class
system if that was possible, causing the whole sale destruction of
many long standing communities and their ways of life.

  >> If you want evidence of this take the terms which has become more
  >> prevalent over the years which is "human resources". Similarly
  >> "human assets".

  Perry> The term "human resources" is not exploitative. Manpower is a
  Perry> resource. And, in fact most HR people will tell you that
  Perry> people are a companie's most valued resource.

        Both the terms "resource" and "asset" carry with them some
concept of property ownership. Applied to humans this does of course
carry imply exploitation.

  >> The fact that we do ascribe so many human rights to corporations
  >> is a sign that of the strangeness of our society.

  Perry> A corporation is a group of humans, as have rights as such.

        A corporation is a specific legal entity. There are lots of
ways you can get a group of humans. A family. A crowd at football
match. These are not corporations.

  Perry> The reason the general public believes in science is because
  Perry> to the tangible results produced by engineering and medicine.
  >>  And the reason therefore that the general population believes in
  >> Creationist theory is?

  Perry> Uh..mmm 45% of the general population. You must remember that
  Perry> 50%, including Richard, is below median intelligence.

        I do not have the stats to hand, and I am sure it depends on
the exact question which is asked. You are claiming that the massive
percentage of the population who believes in the creation theory is as
far as I can see, because they are stupid. I find this interesting. I
would presume therefore that the British who have a much lower level
of believe in creationism are more intelligent than the US
citizen. But surely 50% of the British are below median intelligence
as well....

  >> Its an cliche that 99% of scientists who have ever lived are
  >> alive now, yet most of the really important advances that science
  >> produced happened a while back. We have no real evidence that the
  >> current importance that we place on science now is justified.

  Perry> Oh...just all the advances in engineering and medicine in the
  Perry> last 100 years.

        You miss my point I think. Most of the important medical and
engineering advances that have changed our lives are based upon work
from 40, 50 or 100 years ago. We spent a lot less money than we do
know. Our current spending is based upon extrapolating from the past.

  Perry> For you philosophy is about justifying your hatred of the
  Perry> world.
  >>  I think that this is a cheap shot.

  Perry> You need to go back an read this thread and see the things
  Perry> that Richard claims before you call that a cheap shot.

        I have.

  Perry> There is no "class system". If their was, how is it the
  Perry> immigrants can come to this country and get rich? Why is it
  Perry> they can and you can't??

        I have no desire what so ever to come to the US. I am
quite happy living in the UK. A class system does not have to be rigid
to still be real.

  >> which prevents most people from achieving anything like their
  >> full potential.

  Perry> Our society (the U.S.) is one of the few that strives to give
  Perry> everyone the opportunity to acchieve their full potential.

        You society is one which venerates the illusion of this ideal
above all others maybe. It would appear to me that the history of the
US is entirely one a class struggle, from its beginnings in a
bourgeois revolution, through its slave period, through its civil
rights conflict.

  Perry> The fact that many don't is their own doing, or very often,
  Perry> their parents doing. What's keeping you from achieving yours?

        Perhaps so. Of course if you accept that people are often
trapped not by their own doing, but also by that of their parents then
you have one good part of a class system.

        Have I achieved my potential? In many ways I think that I
have. I have a list of qualifications as long as my arm. I have been
educated at some of the best universities in the world. I have learnt
to program computers and do it well, I have learn molecular biology. I
know some maths, physics, chemistry. I have read Shakespeare, Milton,
Marx, Hardy, and even J.K.Rowling. I can play several instruments, and
am a regular gigging musician. I am still a young man and have a lot
yet to give and learn.

        Despite all of this, because I am not in one of the favoured
professions, because I am a scientist rather than a stock broker, I
still have difficulty keeping a roof over my head.

        Still I have had many opportunities in life, and I have made
use of them. If you think however that this are given to everyone,
then you should spend time as I have living, or working in area's like
Tottenham, or Moss Side, or Toxteth. I have friends who grew up with
coats on their beds to keep warm, whose parents used to miss meals so
that they could eat. I know children who can't read at 10, because
they have not been to school yet. And when they do, they have no
teacher because the none will work at the school. I will pass on your
advice that this is because of their or their parents failings. I am
sure that they will be fascinated.

        My country has had a strongly divisive class structure for
many years. Some still confuse the class with what it was rather than
what it was, in accent, or clothing. This is a pity as it prevents
people from seeing society as it is. Very few however mistake that it
exists at all.

        Phil

------------------------------

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why I hate Windows...
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 19:14:45 +0100

>Yeah. The only advantage I ever saw in it was the expanded heap space.

Yes it certainly takes a bigger heap of space on the hard-drive ;-)

------------------------------

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 19:18:25 +0100

>But you know to each their own. I like Linux because it is fun as hell to
use, and decidely
>more stable than windows, but there are things windows does well enough for
me, simpler
>things checking email, writing letters, and multitrack digital recording,
surfing the web, graphic
>manipulation, etc, that I am willing to keep it around along with Linux.

Try Kmail for email, Gedit for letter writing, KFM or opera for web surfing
and GIMP for graphics manipulation (of course there are alternative packages
available for all of these tasks if these ones are not suitable)

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Inferior Engineering of the Win32 Platform - was Re: Linsux as a desktop
platform
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 13:26:52 -0500

"sandman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > If "DnD" means Drag-n-Drop, MacOS does. It's built-in task manager
allows
> > > for documents to be dragged and opened in a running application.
> >
> > You can drag a document onto the little Task Icon in the upper right
corner
> > of the menu bar?
>
> Of course not, but you can DnD to the Task manager, which was the question
you
> asked. The icon in the upper right is only the menu to display and
optionally
> open the Task manager window which you can drag to. DnD to menues are
absurd in
> my eyes. And for the second part of you question, all task manager
(similar)
> apps, like DragThing allows for Drag'n'Drop.

And I say DnD to buttons is just as absurd.

> > > Yeah, well, and as buttons.
> >
> > Not in the task manager.
>
> The 'Task'-bar is not a Task manager?

No, it's not.  It's essentially the same thing as the icon in the upper
right of the Mac.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.
Ballard       says    Linux growth stagnating
Date: 5 Sep 2000 18:15:06 GMT

On Tue, 05 Sep 2000 07:57:40 -0400, Gary Hallock wrote:
>"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

>You really should take an English course.   What is your native language?

I believe there are two  problems with Max's English:

(1)     He has poor reading comprehension. This I attribute to feigned
        ignorance

(2)     He writes long, incoherent sentences. I am not sure why he does
        this but I suppose his goal is to look "articulate" and maybe
        even somewhat "intellectual". Unfortunately, the end result is
        usually that he merely looks incoherent and unable to clearly
        articulate his views. Perhaps he considers it a victory when someone
        who cannot parse his ramblings does not offer a response. In
        conclusion, I think he probably is capable of writing coherently,
        but chooses not to.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: "Simon Cooke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How low can they go...?
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 18:18:32 GMT

"Christophe Ochal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:6F8t5.822$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Seán Ó Donnchadha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schreef in berichtnieuws
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> > >What, they get dented in shipping;
> > >

> > Ah, so getting dented in shipping is the only way for a product to
> > become damaged, eh Max? Who's using "common wisdom" now?
> >
> > Look, you're welcome to continue formulating theories about things of
> > which you're totally ignorant. Don't be surprised, however, when those
> > theories end up being ludicrous and people let you know about it.
> >

> > >how many months ago was that, or is
> > >it just something you're misquoting from recently, or just entirely
> > >making up?
> > >

> > Me: BTW, because Windows had shipped with a componentized IE for
> >     quite a while before the case went to court, MS is *ENTIRELY*
> >     correct when they say that removing it is impossible without
> >     damaging the product.
>
> Then how come some guy pulled it off? (i don't remember his name, i read
it
> in login (french mag))

He replaced a whole slew of system DLLs with ones from Windows 95 Gold;
thus, effectively removing IE by downgrading the OS to Win95 standards.

Of course, the next time you install an app which requires IE, kaaaboom.

Simon

------------------------------

From: "Simon Cooke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 18:20:00 GMT

"Christophe Ochal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:836t5.794$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Also, consider this: currently, < 1% of our target demographic uses
> Linux..
> > < 4% uses Mac. The other 95 or so % use Windows.
>
> Nah, 0.5% uses Amiga ^_^

Not according to my stats, they don't....

Simon

------------------------------

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sun cannot use Java for their servers!!
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 19:34:53 +0100

Ingemar Lundin wrote in message ...
>None of that you say contradicts what i have posted before except for one
>thing...wich *ide* cd-rw:s do Linux support and *how*? (not counting
>cheating like scsi-emulation)

All Windoze CD-RW software I have seen also uses scsi emulation so are they
also cheating.

Linux supports virtually all ide (and scsi) cdrw drives made within the last
2 years (and most made before then as well) without needing different
drivers unlike windows software which seems to need to be updated whenever a
new drive is released.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Will Ganz)
Subject: Re: Yeah!  Bring down da' man!
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 17:02:49 GMT

>It seems to me that in Softwareland, everybody copies the best thing
>that's around at the time. This has been going on for quite a long time
>now. The trick seems to be: "Copy and Enhance", meaning that you take
>your competitor's (or mentor's or different platform developer's) piece
>of work and add stuff you think your customers/users are going to like.

What is/are the difference(s) between your  "Copy and Enhance" and
Microsoft's "Embrace and Extend"?

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 13:39:48 -0500

"Shannon Hendrix" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <WFYs5.8780$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> |"Slip Gun" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> |> WOW! You must have one hell of a PC! (Maybe a bit like the Love Bug). I
> |> haven't been able to run 'doze for more than about 8 hours without
> |> massive slowdown and crashing. Please tell me how you manage to achive
> |> this.
> |
> >It's not that difficult.  Just maintain your system.  Always keep
> >your BIOS and drivers up to date,
>
> Why do you have to keep them up to date?  Do you never get ones that
> work?
>
> Once the BIOS boots the OS, why does it (the OS) care what version it
> is?

Things like Plug-N-Play depend on the BIOS to identify hardware.  This is
true even of Unix systems.  Additionally, ACPI for power mangaement is a
BIOS function, and ACPI has been a big thorn in most motherboard vendors
sides.  Few got it right at first, and many still don't.

> >make sure you prune your registry tree to remove cruft,
>
> I don't have to do anything like that for my UNIX systems.  On the
> Mac, it's a simple keystroke on reboot for that kind of thing.

No, the Mac desktop is not the registry.

> Windows is supposed to be a consumer "easy" OS, so why is this
> necessary?  What causes the registry to get in such a mess in the
> first place?  Is something wrong with this OS that causes this?

crappy setup programs do this.  Imagine if installing apps under linux with
RPM that your login files got messed up all the time (it's possible, though
unlikely that any apps would do that).  It's roughly the same thing.  It's
the user friendlieness that causes the problem.  (Ironic, isn't it?)  But
the lack of such user friendliness will always keep OS's like Linux behind
in the market.  The MacOS doesn't have this problem (yet) because it's
"system components" are inits, which all load at runtime.  Windows needs a
mechanism to load system components on demand.

> >delete your cache files every so often, clean out your temp directory
> >every so often,
>
> Why does a cluttered cache and temp directory affect the stability of
> the OS?  Is there something wrong with this OS?

The same reason a full tmp directory can crash unix.

> >and don't install hundreds of crappy utilities written by some kid in
> >his basement.
>
> Isn't it the job of an operating system to keep a program from doing
> that kind of thing?

I don't know.  Tell me what would happen if you wrote 100 crappy kernel
modules and loaded them all?

> In my experience, the maintenance you suggest helps, but the problems
> still eventually catch up with you.  At the same time, the vast
> majority of the Windows users I've seen have no idea how to perform
> the maintenance you suggest.  The machines just die and they don't
> know why, and are frustrated by it.  My UNIX machines never need
> anything like this, so it makes you wonder which is "easier" in some
> respects.

No, your unix machines need different kinds of maintenance.  Either way, a
general user generally doesn't know how to do it.

------------------------------

From: "Simon Cooke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 18:24:57 GMT

"Christophe Ochal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:c36t5.803$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Now, what did MPAA do with DeCSS? they attack it as if it were made by
> satan, and claim it's made for piracy (btw, they use other tricks for
this,
> plus, nothing stops you from duplicating a DVD-rom)

Erm... apart from a $140,000 setup fee? Duping DVDs is expensive.

Now, what DeCSS lets you do is extract the MPEG data streams, which you can
then run through a converter, and split over two CDs which will play in most
DVD players. You can then dupe them to kingdom come.

Unfortunately, that's a big whopping side effect of DeCSS. *shrugs*. DVD
piracy is the latest cracker fad -- there's whole sites (and whole tools)
being written just for this purpose. Kind of cool in some ways -- but I can
see the MPAA's point.

Simon

------------------------------

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 19:44:02 +0100

Donal K. Fellows wrote in message <8p2kae$1h8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>In article <Eo_s5.32760$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Windows NT 4.0 has acheived C2 red and orange book security ratings
>> from the DoD.
>
>Has it done it with a network card connected and in use?

You are correct, the certification is only valid for that exact install on
that exact hardware which did not include a net card. Installing a net card
or on a different PC or with different service packs installed will make the
certification invalid - More empty MS vapourware.

------------------------------

From: "Simon Cooke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 18:29:20 GMT

"Christophe Ochal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:d36t5.806$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Nope, not necessarily. They're facts as seen by a Judge who spent most
of
> > his time sleeping in court. And ignoring a great deal of MS evidence.
>
> Oh, right, like the forged video they had about IE? Or their statement
that
> it IE couldn't be removed from win98?
> (btw, it *CAN* be done, as proven by a guy, don't remember who tho)

No, it can't be done. Not without destroying key functionality. Do a search
for 98Lite -- you'll see a list of things that DON'T WORK after you do it.

Also, the judge actually wanted them to remove the icon -- he just didn't
understand when he asked them to remove everything. Which is why MS appeared
arrogant in court.

> give me one piece of "evidence" that M$ produced that was valid

Everything entered into the record as evidence (you can see a whole slew of
these things at http://www.microsoft.com/presspass) except the video
footage, as it was edited to produce in a smaller amount of time.

> You're an M$ lover, and an idiot to boot

No; I just try to give everyone the courtesy of a fair shake of the stick.

Simon

------------------------------

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 19:46:52 +0100

> I'd also be interested to know if NT/W2k has anything comparable to
> 4.4BSD's sysctl, that is a way to drastically reconfigure a running
> system's kernel on the fly without reboot or other interruption.

Or the Linux ProcFS which also alows on the fly kernel reconfiguration

------------------------------

From: "Simon Cooke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 18:32:37 GMT

"Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8p3e1h$c0nft$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Donal K. Fellows wrote in message <8p2kae$1h8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> >In article <Eo_s5.32760$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> Windows NT 4.0 has acheived C2 red and orange book security ratings
> >> from the DoD.
> >
> >Has it done it with a network card connected and in use?
>
> You are correct, the certification is only valid for that exact install on
> that exact hardware which did not include a net card. Installing a net
card
> or on a different PC or with different service packs installed will make
the
> certification invalid - More empty MS vapourware.

Really? Wow... well, better get rid of the DoD's certification scheme
then -- as it's obviously the biggest pile o' crap in existence.

The precise certification given is MEANT to be on a system which is NOT
network connected. It's meant to show that the system is reasonably immune
from physical attack.

If it's so much empty vaporware... show me some unix OSs which have this
kind of certification *at all* -- or even better, WITH  a network card.

Simon

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Anybody want to collaborate on linux palmtop/slate/portable?
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 18:37:48 GMT

Hi,

I am interested in collaborating with people
to bring about a Linux-based portable computer
kit. I don't want a palmtop but rather something
larger like a slate or a small laptop. This
project is supposed to be fun, without any
interest in making money. (It is very hard to
make money off of hardware anyway!).

This project is for all of us who would rather
make a new machine rather than modify something
that some company made and who would rather
*take part* in the design process than stand
idly by, waiting for something exciting. This is
a good idea I think and it is after all the
sentiment of Linux itself. The hardware designs
produced would naturally be GPL'd i.e. made free.
The design will be free, board designs will be
free, software will be free. All you will need
to be is buy parts, a generic case from Fry's
or Radio Shack, and build the thing.

I have set up a site with some ideas on it, at
   http://linuxslate.tripod.com
Please feel free to visit it. I will add a
message board soon. Until then feel free to
post messages and ideas here or to respond via
email.

Thank you!
uwuh

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
platform
Date: 5 Sep 2000 18:56:27 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Mike Zulauf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <8oou48$1917$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> (abraxas) wrote:
>
>> You're wrong, Netscape doesnt ever crash systems running X.  It has
> never, ever
>> happened to me, and it has never, ever happened to anyone I know, with any
>> version of netscape and any version of XFree, accelleratedX and metroX.
> You are
>> completely incorrect.
>
> You obviously don't get out much.
>
> I haven't seen it for a few years, but netscape used to _regularly_ bring
> down the Suns in my department.  It usually happened when it was being run
> at the same time as a meteorological analysis program called GEMPAK, but
> not always.  I even have posted about this in the past, if you'd care to
> check out my story.  It got so bad that we were forbidden to run the two
> programs at the same time.
>
> More often (and more recently) it would bring down X, but leave everything
> else running fine.  I've seen this on Linux as well.

Yay, more anecdotes.  Do you have a core analysis or something handy?

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
platform
Date: 5 Sep 2000 18:57:44 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Michael Bernstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> i've had netscape cause pci bus errors and crash everything.

FYI, the 'bus error' that netscape often quits with is not a 'pci bus
error', although it is often mistaken for one.

And yay, yet more anecdotal evidence.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 21:02:22 +0200
From: Nico Coetzee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Test: Dial-up Connections

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Mon, 04 Sep 2000 11:29:44 GMT
> <8p012v$jjs$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >OK, so I finally did it... Tested two machines, one Linux and one Win98
> >SE.
>
> [snip for brevity]
>
> >Now we fired up the FTP client, CuteFTP 2.6 in Windows and Igloo-FTP in
> >Linux. We connected to a local FTP site where RH is mirrored and
> >started a download.
> >
> >After one hour the downloads were:
> >
> >Linux - 18MB
> >Windows - 6.5MB
> >
> >After two hours, the accumalated total was (and we stopped here):
> >
> >Linux - 32MB
> >Windows - 14MB
>
> [rest snipped]
>
> It would be mildly interesting to see what the packets being
> thrown around were.  IMO this is odd behavior for a modern
> TCP/IP stack, and an interesting counterpoint to the 4 100 Mb
> card benchmark done by Mindcraft some months back, which showed
> Windows NT to be faster than Linux under that admittedly odd
> configuration which probably wouldn't be used in real life.
>
> *shakes head and wanders off*
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here

Maybe the clients had something to do with it? I got basically the
opposite results a while back where the NT FTP were faster but the Linux
Web Browsing were considerably faster.

There is still to much variables in a test like this. I can also see to
much rounding off of figures (14MB exactly, for instance).

I bet we all run the same tests and the results will be unique for each
group.

Cheers.

This signature was added automatically by Linux:
.
Most people have a mind that's open by appointment only.