  Re: The usual Linux spiel... (was Re: Is Open Source for You?) (GreyCloud)

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 00:17:29 -0700

Rotten168 wrote:

> GreyCloud wrote:
> >
> > Rotten168 wrote:

> > > Well... no I'm not saying that, but Windows is easier on the eyes, it's
> > > more user-friendly (whatever that means nowadays), it's got a faster
> > > redraw rate than Linux. It's easier to do do "stuff" with. The tradeoff
> > > is that it locks up every few uses or so.
> > >
> > > I'm not saying Linux is a bad OS, it's just not a good desktop OS,
> > > delivering more power (and, yes, stability) than the average user needs
> > > and sacrificing speed, ease of use, and aesthetics.
> >
> > I couldn't call Win9.x series a good desktop.  You should see the kick
> > and scuff marks on the side of my wifes' computer!  Starts a print
> > process and halfway thru it locks up the whole system.  Call that a good
> > O/S??

> Again... if you said the same thing about Linux, the people in here
> would blame it on poor administration. How sure are you that it's
> Windows 98' fault, because my experiences with Linux & printing are
> worse than what my experiences were with Windows. I once tried to print
> the man pages for tin, I didn't realize that they were like 50 pages
> long! I cancelled the job using the lp kill command (I forget what it's
> called exactly), but the printer continued printing after I rebooted.

It could be a Win98 fault in the print manager for the HP970. She had an
Epson 600 on it before and it never froze up because Epson had the
presence of mind to write their own print manager and bypassed windows
print manager all together.  There are some other programs that deal
with photo graphics... one crashes once in a while and the other (Adobe
3.0 for business) that freezes the system on startup.  The print manager
in windows freezing up is an intermittent problem without any ryhme or
reason to it.
Then I installed, for a while Linux on her HP and it worked flawlessly
and had no printing problems.  But, she wanted to play on Bridge Zone
and it rejected her saying "You need Windows to play" so I had to
re-install windows back on her HP.  Same old problems.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why should an OS cost money?
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 00:30:01 -0700

Joe Ogiba wrote:

> "Marc Schlensog" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Ayende Rahien wrote:
> > >
> > > "Nick Condon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> invention,

> most
> on
> paid
> too
> > Hmm... isn't Linus paid by Transmeta for doing something totally
> > different?
> recover
> > OK, I will pay a rational price for software, a price that this software
> > is worth.
> > Paying $250 for a CD and a booklet (Win9x) or $700 for an office-suite
> > is not
> > priceworthy, if you ask me. I really don't want to take my month of work
> > and buy
> > software with it, when I can have all that and even more for about 10%.
> >
> > [Snipped]
> Who the hell pays $250 for Win 9x and $700 for MS Office ? I paid $125 for
> Windows 2000 Server and $99 for Office 2000 Premium w/ Frontpage 2000 and
> PhotoDraw 2000 a year and a half ago.
> > They're only trying to make me LOOK paranoid!

Where did you buy these programs at such a reduced price??

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 00:37:35 -0700

Rick wrote:

> Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> > "Larry Elmore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > > Anybody wanting a computer without an OS can _build one from parts_!
> >
> > They don't even have to do that.
> > They can go to a computer store, hand the clerk Dell's ad, and say, I want a
> > computer like that, without OS, make it so.
> > And they will *get* it.
>
> Yeah?... walk into circuit city and say that.
>
> --
> Rick

Well, I don't think the staff at Circuit City would have any in stock
built that way anyway... its just a mass retail outlet.  They ship in
boxes and push out the door boxes. That is all they are interested in.
A computer Renaisance store opened up here and I can get them to build a
computer from parts of my choice with or without an o/s installed.

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What does XP stands for ???
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 08:32:39 +0100

On Sat, 02 Jun 2001 11:12:02 -0600, "Robert Morelli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Bob Hauck"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Some acronyms have been altered by revisionists.

And others altered by marketing droids. DVD was originally Digital Video
Disk, but became Digital Versatile Disk.

> Similarly,  in the original BASIC acronym,  S stood for Sissy.  When you
> think about it for a moment,  you realize,  how could it be otherwise?
> It was changed to Symbolic during the political correctness craze of the
> 1980's.

Sadly it's still with us.

Peter

------------------------------

From: "green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 17:44:55 +1000

"Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:c6hS6.73034$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9fc03t$ahq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > all?

> > > They should use an OS that doesn't require that set of keys for
rebooting,
> > > or even better,  one that doesn't need rebooting all the time.
> > >

> > or task management to kill malicious tasks.
>
> You don't need CAD to log in, nor reboot. Besides, Win2K rarely needs
rebooted.
> I haven't rebooted in months at work, and only then because we started a
new
> spin-off and I had to wipe my drive as part of the negotiations between
> the two companies (long story).
>
> There are alternative logon methods for Win2K. There are also alternative
> input methods for everything in Win2K, including task management.

> -c
>
> P.S. (like you haven't ever used kill -9)

I wasn't saying i hadn't  used kill.

It resets inetd and samba well ;)
though killall is easyer than
ps -A
kill xxx

at uni they use alt ctrl del because apparently you can't send it remotly.
so it's good for security.

and you can in w2k right click on task bar to get the process window up.

but in win 9#/ me I don't think you can.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 00:40:15 -0700

Marc Schlensog wrote:

> Terry Porter wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 01 Jun 2001 22:32:41 GMT, KSG <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > "Michael Vester" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Maybe I could get you to install Linux on my computer.
> >
> > Maybe you should state your offer to do so in dollars?
> >
> > >  I've tried Debian
> > > and Red Hat, neither found my NIC, and I could never get networking to work.
> > > Win2k came up just fine with networking and all.
>
> Hmm, just great. Let me tell you my experience with NICs/SCSI-adaptors.
>
> WinME was the first M$-OS that was able to recognize and install drivers
> for my
> NIC (Realtek8139). They didn't work, nevertheless. Neither Win9x nor
> WinNT or even
> Win2k were able to find this card. But my SuSE Linux 6.0 was able to. I
> booted from
> my SCSI-CD-drive and the module for my SCSI-adaptor and the NIC were
> loaded.
> I also tried to install W9x, WME, WNT and W2K from CD with the same
> SCSI-adaptor
> (oh yeah, it's a SYM53c875). Guess what? WNT/W2K bluescreened and the
> W9x series
> wasn't able to find my CD-drive.
> What chip did the NIC have you were using?
>

> > Then perhaps the $300 you paid for Win2k was worth it ?
>
> What about additional software? Is a Windog system actually worth
> thousands of bucks?
> I don't think so. I'd rather save the money for software and get me a
> nicely equipped
> Alpha.

I wished I could afford an Alpha with vms on it, but what about the sun
blade 100?
It has a sparc IIe in it.  Opinions?

------------------------------

From: "green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
dust!
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 17:46:43 +1000

"Patrick Ford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Edward Rosten wrote:
>
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Patrick Ford"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > He's a seppo, perhaps?
> >
> > seppo? are you taking the piss? how am I meant to know wtf that
> > means??!??!?!
>
> Who is WTF?
wally the frog.

what the f**k

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 00:43:51 -0700

Chris Morgan wrote:

> Ben Franchuk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Chris Morgan wrote:
> > > This seems more damning than it really is - actually installing
> > > Windows from scratch can be a mess too, it's just that most users
> > > never have to.
> >
> > Ha! I bet all users have had to re-install windows at least
> > once or fight the system installing new hardware or software.
>
> I thought most people only got "restore" cds which put it back how the
> manufacturer set it up (no doubt with special care over their
> particular hardware choices etc). I'm talking about a full install. I
> don't know that many people who have done that out of the people I
> know who use Windows. That could be unusual of course.
> --
> Chris Morgan <cm at mihalis.net>                  http://www.mihalis.net
>       Temp sig. - Enquire within

My IBMs restore CD, which I had to use a few times, formats the hard
drive and then installs from scratch.

Subject: Re: LINUX PRINTING SUCKS!!!!!!!!
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 03 Jun 2001 03:46:31 -0400

Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> This is tangential to the original tro^H^H^Hpost, but most Linux apps
> just produce Postscript and let Ghostscript or some such worry about
> what kind of printer you have.  Two major exceptions are The Gimp and
> WordPerfect, which carry their own printer drivers around.

> CUPS is an attempt to simplify Linux printing, but not all distros
> have adopted it.

Even Appsfilter isn't too bad at this, although I've never used CUPS.
Appsfilter just sets up your /etc/printcap file, and installs the
converters/filters for the file formats you select at install time.
All you have to do is issue

lpr -Plp *.ps

and PS files are piped to Ghostscript, which converts the PS files to
the native printer format.  Also, I should add that it takes very
little lag for GS to do the conversions.  On my P166, it usually takes
about 3 seconds for the print job to start.  Not too bad.

The Wintrolls will probably start whining about how hard it is to use
lpr.  Oh wow, a one line command.  ("Waaa!  But I want my apps to
print from a menu!")  But, even then, a lot of apps can pipe the
print job to lpr, so I guess you could set it up that way if you
choose to print via Appsfiter/lpr.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 00:47:28 -0700

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Rob Barris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <loTR6.4841$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Erik Funkenbusch"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > "Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Where do you get those figures?
> > >
> > > MS hasn't released pricing on XP yet, and those prices are much higher
> > > than
> > > the current Win2k pricing (which was the same as the NT4 pricing before
> > > it).
> >
> >    I'm sure he's referring to Office XP.  Pricing was shown on CNBC on
> > 5/31/01 - I thought it was $239 for upgrade, $479 for new.
>
> Ahh.. perhaps.  And, as usual, Charlie exagerates to make his point.

That's what I saw as well in Office Depot and Staples.  Those prices
were upgrade prices for Office XP.

Subject: Re: Linux is shit
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 03 Jun 2001 03:48:09 -0400

drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> It really is. I'm sticking to windows. You can't even install a
> printer for christs sake.

And you are the jewel that lights up the night. (8-)) Just install
Appsfilter or CUPS, followed by the dependent packages (Ghoscript,
ImageMagick, etc.)

From: kosh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 01:48:14 -0600

Stuart Fox wrote:

> "kosh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9fbnku$42j$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Philip Neves wrote:
>>

>> Try this
>> http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=464242
>>
>> In general if you have prnting problems go to linuxprinting.org
>>
>> That printer is listed as working perfectly so just follow the
> instructions
>> on that page.
>
> Come on now, the printing system is so broken it requires it's own web
> site? You're joking right?
>
> I don't see a www.windowsprinting.org, or a www.macintoshprinting.org.
>
> And they say Linux is ready for home desktop use?

Actually it is simpler and more complex then that. Linux is based on the
ideas that went with unix systems. Unix systems have traditionally only
talked to postscript pritners. I have hooked up postscript printers to many
unixes and they are braindead easy. No drivers required at all you just
tell it you have a postscript printer at x location be it local or on the
network if it doesn't find it on its own.

Other types of printing have been added more recently and that is where the
trouble arrise. Many different manufacturers had their own idea of how
printing should work and kept making proprietary and incompatible changes.
The issue ends up if you have a poscript printer it is easier then a mac or
windows setup if not it is harder.

Considering I get better quality off of a real postscript printer then I do
off the other pieces of crap being sold now I prefer to pay more and get a
nice postscript device and all of these problems go away.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 00:52:29 -0700

Robert Morelli wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Bob Hauck"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 02 Jun 2001 02:42:35 -0600, Robert Morelli
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> Pascal is the name of a 17th century mathematician and philosopher.
> > PASCAL isn't the name of the language though.  That is "Pascal:, and it
> > is not an acronym.  It is named after the mathematician.
> >> As for ADA,  it's from Ada Lovelace,  who programmed Babbage's
> >> mechanical computers.  On the other hand,  what about
> > Again, the name of the language is Ada, not ADA, and it is not an
> > acronym.  It is named after Babbage's programmer friend.  I agree with
> > your point, but these are bad examples.
>
> Is XP really an acronym?
>
> >> BASIC is of course
> > Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code <g>.
>
> Some acronym's have been altered by revisionists.  For instance,  BNF
> was originally Backus Normal Form.  Only after it was in use did Knuth
> suggest that it change to Backus-Naur Form,  to honor the contribution
> of Naur.
>
> Similarly,  in the original BASIC acronym,  S stood for Sissy.  When you
> think about it for a moment,  you realize,  how could it be otherwise?
> It was changed to Symbolic during the political correctness craze of the
> 1980's.
>
> The second revision came in the early 1990's.  At the influential ICA
> Theory of Languages Conference in 1989,  the question was posed,  "What
> programming language would provide the most inappropriate foundation
> for software development in the 1990's."  There was a panel discussion,
> and a lot of ideas where tossed around,  but the consensus settled on BASIC.
> In the next couple of years,  Microsoft began standardizing on Visual
> Basic.  At the Theory of Languages '92,  the "Beginner's All-purpose"
> in BASIC was changed to "Bill's Anacronistic" by resolution ICA-1143-92.

BASIC came out of Dartmouth College as a need to start students off to
later program in Fortran.  Haucks definition is correct.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The usual Linux spiel... (was Re: Is Open Source for You?)
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 00:59:20 -0700

"Stephen S. Edwards II" wrote:

> "Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > "Stephen S. Edwards II" wrote:
> > >
> > > "Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > If it was, would we be running WindowsNT?
> >
> > Read the article, please.
>
> I used to be a GNU/GPL/Linux proponent.  I
> was using Linux before it reached v1.x.  I
> know what the spiel is.  But yes, I did
> read the article.  SSDD.
>
> > > My Lord, you are a dense one, aren't you.
> >
> > Is this your approach to life -- contumely, ridicule, and
> > insults?
>
> Your constant barrage of advertising for
> GNU/Linux into COMNA is the reason why
> I'm picking on you.
>
> We don't use OpenSource software, because
> we know it doesn't work for us.  Hence, the
> name of this newsgroup,
>
> comp.os.ms-WINDOWS.NT.advocacy.
>
> Why is that so difficult for you to understand?
>
> If you want to advertise, do it in another forum.
> We're not interested in that kind of thing here,
> and I think there might be several folks in the
> COLA camp who are equally tired of this kind of
> advertising for GNU/Linux.
>
> > > Save this drivel for the COLA camp, please.
> >
> > Have you read the article?
>
> Yes, and I've read hundreds like it.
>
> It seems to me that you automatically
> assume that Windows users only use Windows
> because we don't know what else is out
> there.  In most cases, the reason why we
> do use Windows is because we DO know what
> else is available.  But we like WindowsNT
> best.  In my experience, many WindowsNT
> users, including myself, know more about
> UNIX and UNIX-workalike operating systems
> than most UNIX users do.
>
> Don't get me wrong... I like UNIX
> operating systems.  But what you need to
> understand is that we don't need advertising
> in here.  If you want to debate about the
> technical merits of operating systems, that's
> just fine and dandy.  If you come across an
> interesting article, by all means post it.
> That's exactly what this group is for.
>
> But when you attempt to push advertising for
> something which we believe to be inferior in our
> faces, that is when you are going to get picked
> on.  If I posted WindowsNT advertisements in COLA,
> don't you think I would be mocked and ridiculed as
> well?  I would, and frankly, I'd deserve it... it's
> called "trolling".
>
> Besides, If you had the kind of experience with UNIX
> that you seem to pretend to have, you'd understand
> why the Linux kernel is completely substandard.

Then you better tell the CEO of IBM that Linux is substandard because
they just dumped an awful lot of money into getting linux to run on
their mainframes. :-)