  Red Hat Linux Backdoor Password Vulnerability ("Chad Myers")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.flame.macintosh
Subject: Re: which OS is best?
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 21:20:16 -0500

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 16:29:44 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
wrote:

>On 22 Apr 2000 13:18:11 -0500, Leslie Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>>Which editor?  Where?
>
>       Try one.

Try one what?  Honestly, Jedi, a newbie's not going to know *any* of
this.

>>>What file?  Where?
>
>       That requires a little bit of foreknowledge, but just a bit.
>       Global config files typically go in /etc.
>       Config files usually are named like the app they go with.

Just a bit?  LOL.  Sorry; it takes more than that.

>       So, /etc/smb.conf isn't such a stretch. It just requires a little
>       thinking and not being completely intimidated by the interface.

...as most people would be.

>>>What files does one edit?
>
>       Try looking in the manpage and exploring the system from there.

Bingo.  Case closed.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.flame.macintosh
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 21:21:01 -0500

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 16:32:25 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
wrote:

>>>  [snip more oh-my-god-I-have-to-use-a-text-editor stuff]
>>
>>The point, which is correct and perfectly valid, is that Linux is far
>>more difficult to set up for even basic filesharing.
>
>       ...only if you put your fingers in your ears, start mumbling some
>       MS mantra and shove your head in a hole in the sand.

Or if you're just a normal human being who wants to get things done
quickly without investing mountains of time and effort (and trips to
the library to get manuals) just to do some basic filesharing.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.flame.macintosh
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 21:21:35 -0500

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 16:37:56 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
wrote:

>       The vast majority of them will look at you as if you're from another
>       planet once you start talking about file sharing. In the end you would
>       end up essentially writing a 'visual howto' for them.

...which is far easier to follow.

------------------------------

From: "Otto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Government to break up Microsoft
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 02:24:05 GMT

"Mike Marion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Otto wrote:
>
> > You're wrong on couple of counts here. Windows is still better than any
> > other OSs for desktop and some respect servers also. SQL server can
stand on

> Windows is not "better" than any other OS for desktops. I have two
machines in
> my office: An Ultra 2 running Solaris, and an NT box (P3-500).  I do about
97%
> of my work on the Solaris box.  The only reason I even have an NT box is
because
> the client for our trouble-ticket system only exists for NT anymore.

So what, I have Caldera 2.4 runing next to my NT box and still do all of my
work on NT.

> Windows might be "better" for specific people in specific circumstances..
but no
> OS is perfect for everyone in every setting.

That's partially true, if you take off the word "specific".

Otto

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.flame.macintosh
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 21:29:32 -0500

On 24 Apr 2000 12:44:54 -0600, Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>> Why?  Anyone can SU to root anyway.  It's a private network, so I
>> don't worry about sniffing, so... why not?
>
>Because there are oodles of tools out there that are custom-built to
>sniff telnet logins (just like appletalk and smb sniffers).  Even if
>your machine is private, if it were ever connected to the internet
>you'd be allowing for root attacks on the machine via telnet.
>Requiring someone to su to root puts at least 2 barriers in their way.
>
>> >If you really want to, then erase the pam_securetty.so line from
>> >/etc/pam.d/login (or change it from "required" to "optional").
>>
>> Thanks.
>
>No problem.

How did you learn that?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.flame.macintosh
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 21:34:08 -0500

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 00:58:53 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher
Browne) wrote:

>What's easier?
>
>"Type what I tell you to type, and read what I tell you to read."
>which takes benefit from the several thousand years worth of
>development of written communications,
>
>  or
>
>"I'm going to try to describe, via something like charades, the menus,
>dialogs, icons, and other hieroglyphics, what you're supposed to do."
>which benefits from the several dozen hours that the typical person
>has spent playing charades.

I think enough people have moved to the GUI to demonstrate that it is
the preferred interface.  I know *you* are more comfortable in the
CLI, but I think most people have shown to strongly prefer the GUI.

------------------------------

From: "Otto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 02:33:31 GMT

"Cihl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> The only one spreading FUD *anywhere*, is Microsoft!
> They DO this to keep their users from trying anyone else's
> OS's!

If that's all what it takes someone from trying another OS, then so be it.
Anyone can freely install other OSs, it's up to the end user and not
Microsoft. For that matter Linux is supposedly is free and yet most of the
end users have no interest in it.

> Linux doesn't have to spread FUD to keep it's users around,
> because the number of users is already rising every day!

And pretty soon it'll reach the market share of Windows3.11. WOW, big @#$%
deal!!!!

Otto

------------------------------

From: George Graves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Become a Windows Registry Expert!
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 02:34:14 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I've already acknowledged your clarification and thanked you for it.  The
>remainder of my argument amounts to a nit-pick with regard to using the
>term
>"rest" in a manner which was not all-inclusive.  This argument is not
>worth
>pursuing, however.  I'm just trying to clear up the apparent
>misunderstanding.

OK, I thought you were being sarcastic. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
--
George Graves

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.flame.macintosh
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 21:39:58 -0500

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 01:51:40 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
wrote:

>>>There is nothing wrong with knowing how to reach under the
>>>hood and check your own oil.  Linux distributions just include
>>>the whole toolbox.  Users of other systems may get the idea
>>>that there are no user-servicable parts inside.
>>
>>Of course.  However, it does *significantly* limit the audience.
>
>       No it doesn't. It doesn't any more limit the audience than does
>       the fact that a Ford or a Benz is a relatively open system that
>       can be serviced by the end user or one of thousands of special
>       purpose consultants.

We're talking about the ability and knowledge required to run Linux,
not that it's an open-source system.  I hope/think that's what you're
talking about.

>[deletia]
>>>It does a chroot() to the ftp user's home directory for security
>>>reasons and thus can't follow symlinks pointing above there.
>>>You can mount the cd below /home/ftp if you want it to be
>>>accessed.
>>
>>I did.  I put it as a symlink at /home/ftp/pub/redhat -> /mnt/cdrom,
>>and both that dir and (of course) /mnt/cdrom were wide open.  Still no
>
>       ...had no problems whatsoever doing such a 'trick' for either
>       apache or ftpd. I've done network installs using mountpoints
>       in either daemon's filespace.
>       Although, that's not what this fellow to do. There's a difference
>       between a symlink and a mount point.

Dammit.  Just tried it.  It works now.  Aaaghh!  Now I just need to
figure out what changed...

>>joy - I can log in as a Linux user to the FTP server and see the CD,
>>but anon can't.  Any ideas?
>
>       Try loosening the permissions.

I chmod'ed everything connected to the CDROM to 777 long ago.

Ah well; works now.  :)

Any ideas on the
laptop-won't-work-with-incredibly-common-network-cards (which all work
in Win95) issue I'm having on an 'old' 486/75 laptop?

Thanks for the feedback, Jedi.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Kelly)
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 02:32:21 GMT

Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Remember, if it won't run on at least 2 operating systems,,,
>THEN DON'T BUY IT!
>
>It's your career.  It's your business.
>
>It's your future.

Have you considered your very own Public Access Cable TV show? Maybe a
guest spot on Reverend Ike?
oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0oo0
 JConfig 2.0 now comes with FULL SOURCE! Get your copy here:
       http://www.tolstoy.com/samizdat/jconfig.html
                Then, send Sun a Message!
    Vote for JConfig in the JDJ Readers' Choice Awards.
      http://www.sys-con.com/java/readerschoice2000/
           See the 'Best Class Library' category.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.flame.macintosh
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 21:45:09 -0500

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 02:08:49 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Perry Pip)
wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 20:39:50 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>On 23 Apr 2000 23:55:41 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)

>>>It does a chroot() to the ftp user's home directory for security
>>>reasons and thus can't follow symlinks pointing above there.
>                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>You can mount the cd below /home/ftp if you want it to be
>>>accessed.
>>
>>I did.  I put it as a symlink at /home/ftp/pub/redhat -> /mnt/cdrom,
>         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>and both that dir and (of course) /mnt/cdrom were wide open.  Still no
>>joy - I can log in as a Linux user to the FTP server and see the CD,
>>but anon can't.  Any ideas?
>
>You didn't read what he said! A sysmlink won't work. You have to have the
>actual mount point below /home/ftp, i.e.:
>
>mount /dev/cdrom /home/ftp/pub/redhat
>
>Though you'll probably want to edit your /etc/fstab to replace /mnt/cdrom
>with /home/ftp/pub/redhat

Actually, the way it is now does, in fact, work....kinda.

*IF* I'm telnetted into the Linux box already, and then I ftp to that
same machine as anonymous/anypassword, it will work.

If I ftp in from an NT box, I get nothing - a blank directory.

If I simply ftp in from my LinuxPPC box, it works.

Go figure....

DC

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JoeX1029)
Subject: Is Linux like IRIX??Helpp
Date: 25 Apr 2000 02:58:08 GMT

I'm probaly buying a sgi Indy that has IRIX 6.5 preloaded and I was wondering
if anyone knew how closely Linux and IRIX are in using them (commands etc)
Thanks for the help probaly the wrong N/G but you guys are way smart.  Thanks
and sorry for wasting the bandwidth.

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.lang.basic,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: QB 4.5 in Win 2000
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 22:58:29 -0400

Quoting Roger from alt.destroy.microsoft; Tue, 25 Apr 2000 01:15:43 GMT
>On Sun, 23 Apr 2000 23:31:41 -0400, someone claiming to be T. Max
>Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Quoting Roger from alt.destroy.microsoft; Mon, 24 Apr 2000 03:28:35 GMT
>>>Max [...]
>
>>Has it escaped your notice that I'm extremely BORED with your repetitious use
>>of third person narrative style?  I mean, seriously, stop BORING me.
>
>Were I posting for your benefit, and were I asked nicely, I might.
>
>As it is:   I'm not, and I haven't been, and I shan't.
>
>I shall continue to point out your errors of fact and logic as I see
>fit.

If only this were the case, I wouldn't be bored.  Had you not lied so baldly
in this message, I suspect it would be slightly less tedious, but boring
nonetheless.

Manager of Research & Educational Services
Managed Services
ELTRAX Technology Services Group
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
-[Opinions expressed are my own; everyone else, including
   my employer, has to pay for them, subject to
    applicable licensing agreement]-

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (sea_Dragon)
Subject: Re: "Technical" vs. "Non-technical"... (was Re: Grasping perspective...)
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 03:02:09 GMT

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 07:55:32 GMT, Mike Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>S4eaDra4gon wrote:
>
>Ok first off... and this is off topic from the discussion.. why are you munging
>your From address today?  I hope you don't think you're fooling spammers by
>doing it, because your Reply-To hasn't changed.

I'm not fooling the spammers but the cancel-bots. After I post a few
anti-(anti-Microsoft) messages in this forum, the cancel-bots get me,
and any message I post to any newsgroup on Usenet is immediately
cancelled. I'm surprised you are not aware of the problem? Being
anti-(anti-Microsoft) is so counterculture and so revolutionary that the
only way to stop those of us who hold the opinion is to silence us. Most
of the mainstream public may not be aware, but the primary reason why
you don't see any anti-(anti-Microsoft) literature anywhere is because
it is censored, not because there are not millions of people who hold
anti-(anti-Microsoft) views. Usenet is particularly susceptible since
it is so easy to forge cancel messages (it was designed on Unix - why
would you expect it to be secure?)

>> 2) I am not an expert in Windows NT, but I do use Terminal Server on
>> a regular basis, and it seems to be what you want. It is in many ways
>> quite superior to X, though there are a few things wrong with it. Why
>> people continue to claim Windows NT does not have remote access when
>> Terminal Server exists, I just do not understand. Why doesn't it count
>> in the argument? Because it is not a base product? Neither is X.
>
>Probably because it is a different beast that first off, costs a lot more, and
>second, X comes with just about any Unix you can get.

But I want a __TECHNICAL__ reason why Terminal Server is not an adequate
solution. I am an engineer, not an accountant or a marketer, so I do
not care about cost, how it is packaged. I am only interested in its
__FUNCTIONALITY__.

>BTW, you do know that MS didn't even invent WTS, right?  That claim belongs
>to Citrix.

BTW, did you know that Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson (and Linus Torvalds
and Ted T'so and Alan Cox and Theo de Raddt and ... ) did not invent X,
right? The claim belongs to DEC and MIT. Unix was not even the first OS
which X ran on. Proof that Unix doesn't have a remote tool because it was
invented elsewhere!

Again, I am an engineer, not a historian. I don't give a flying fuck who
invented what. I am interested in the __PRODUCT__. Give me a __TECHNICAL__
reason why you think Windows does not have remote capabilities. Clue:
packaging, marketing, price et al are not technical reasons.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (sea_Dragon)
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 03:07:54 GMT

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 08:17:36 GMT, Mike Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>S4eaDra4gon wrote:
>
>> This morning my FreeBSD machine (which is my DNS server) spontaneously
>> ran out of memory. I was able to log in, but any command said "out of
>> memory", and nothing would run, and it didn't even respond to DNS request.
>

>Did you even try to kill anything?  Kill commands will almost always work.
>I've always been able to get at least one ps to work if I try a few too..
>that's on a Solaris box though.

Nope, when I tried to run kill, it gave me a malloc() failure. No useful
command work, not even shutdown.

>Sounds like you need to set the ulimits on that box.

But root is running named.

>> got the same message. The filesystem was corrupted! Linux spontaneously
>> corrupted my filesystem and I had to reinstall! Pretty good run, it
>> had been up for a whole six weeks. I will schedule another re-installation
>> for June.
>
>Did you even try to boot single user off of a floppy or CD, and try to fsck the
>fs?
>
>I can almost guarantee that would've worked.  BTW, what kernel was that?  If
>it was a 2.3, then you were using a development kernel, and they tend to have
>bugs in them.

Kernel 2.2.5-16. I didn't try booting off of a floppy, as I didn't have
one, but I booted from my old kernel in MILO and got the same results. The
FS got randomly corrupted, probably a long time ago, since the machine was
up for 5-6 weeks.

>One neat thing about that box (or any unix box for that matter)... the other
>admins can su to themselves and run any app they want as themselves just as if
>they'd logged into the console instead of me.  Can you even do that Under NT
>without logging out?

Sure just terminal server in. I am not a Windows expert so I do not know
if there is an su tool to do so in your current session.

comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,alt.conspiracy.area51
Subject: Re: MICROSOFT IT THRU!  MICROSOFT IS THRU!
From: Sean LeBlanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 03:17:22 GMT

Or run listdlls.exe.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (sea_Dragon)
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 03:23:25 GMT

On 24 Apr 2000 01:22:01 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>>OK - to begin with, why is Unix's I/O model preferable to a nice
>>>asynchronous I/O model offerred in other systems?
>
>>Please don't waste my time with such vague terms.
>>
>>Be specific.
>>

>He can't be specific, becuase he has no clue what he is talking
>about. He is just repeating what looks like a technical terms
>so he sounds like he knows something.

There is not much to be specific about w.r.t to asynchrnous I/O.
You either haven't or you don't. Linux does not.

>One can do asych IO very easily on Unix. Any basic Unix
>programming book will show him how to do it. Do not know what
>he mean by 'nice' model here. 'nice' model does not seem
>to mean anything.

You must be extremely new to Linux. Linux does not support asynchronous
I/O in the kernel. The POSIX asynchronous I/O is implemented a kludge,
and has a thread for each FD waiting for input. This is not asynchronous
I/O. It merely has the same interface. But if you are using it for
performance reasons your speed will be severely degraded.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (sea_Dragon)
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 03:29:14 GMT

On 24 Apr 2000 11:00:44 -0500, Leslie Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>S4eaDra4gon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>This morning my FreeBSD machine (which is my DNS server) spontaneously
>>ran out of memory. I was able to log in, but any command said "out of
>>memory", and nothing would run, and it didn't even respond to DNS request.
>>The machine was down! I had to reboot it. Pretty good run, though - it
>>was up for about two months. I guess I'll schedule another reboot for
>>June.
>
>Named has had a memory leak in all but the latest couple of releases
>so you might want to update it.  A check with 'top' once a month or
>so would show if you are starting to use swap space and you could
>restart the just the processes that are hogging memory.

Ah - that explains it. I guess Unix will just require constant
babysitting (unlike my non-Unix machines which just run, and which
I forget about).

>>Sounds like what happened to my Linux box last night. I compiled my
>>new kernel, and went though the obligatory reboot then ran with it,
>>and then got a kernel panic because the root filesystem couldn't be
>>mounted. Then I went back to the previous kernel, booted off that, and
>>got the same message. The filesystem was corrupted! Linux spontaneously
>>corrupted my filesystem and I had to reinstall! Pretty good run, it
>>had been up for a whole six weeks. I will schedule another re-installation
>>for June.
>
>You have done something drastically wrong here, and unique to
>your machine.  Are you sure the problem isn't really the
>lilo configuration setting the wrong root drive?  I'd boot
>the install CD and tell it I want to upgrade to see if it
>sees the old partitions.

I have been compiling and installing new Linux kernels for 6.5 years and
know what I am doing. I gave the correct root drive. I added the new
kernel to MILO, and kept the old one, and neither would boot with the
correct root drive. No solution except to reinstall (since I run Linux
I expect to have to reinstall several times per year, so no biggie. My
non-Unix home machines have existed up to 15 years in some cases with
no re-install. I realize this is a just fact of life with the more
toy-type computer systems).

>>I haven't even _logged out of_ (let alone rebooted) my Windows NT
>>workstation at work, since December 1999. I have no idea how long
>>it has been up as that was my first day in the office, but possibly
>>much longer.
>
>Haven't installed any software, I guess...

Actually, a little bit. Nothing big, but at least a half of dozen apps.

>Almost every new program or update on my NT box forces me to reboot.

Yeah, kind of like those weekly kernel patches .....

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Red Hat Linux Backdoor Password Vulnerability
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 04:01:38 GMT

Seeing as how a simple buffer overrun was mistreated as a "backdoor" that was
purposely placed by Microsoft, I thought it was only fitting to see how
Open Sores can fall victim to the same thing.

http://xforce.iss.net/alerts/advise46.php3

'cept, it's not just a buffer overrun, it's an actual password placed in the
product so that your linux box can be more easily used for DDoS'ing large
eCommerce sites without having to mess around with actually hacking the box
(not that that is harder or anything).

"With this backdoor password, an attacker could compromise the web server as
well as deface and destroy the web site."

-Chad