From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How Microsoft Crushes the Hearts of Trolls.
Date: 16 Feb 2001 23:22:00 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: In article <96i0us$d7o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
: Steve Mading  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:>In comp.os.linux.advocacy T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:>
:>: Demonizing another organization doesn't really help, I'm afraid.  IBM
:>: doesn't monopolize consumer OSes.
:>
:>Well, not recently anyway.  Their past monopolizations are
:>singlehandedly responsible for EBCDIC and COBOL lasting much
:>longer than they had any right to as viable choices.
:>

:     EBCDIC maybe, not COBOL.  Computer languages have tremendous
:     longevity if they meet the needs of even a small fraction of the
:     populace.

:     LISP and BASIC are still with us after years of being derided by
:     Computer Scientists.

BASIC might fit that description, but LISP was not derided by Computer
Scientists.  They loved it.  People who wanted to get practical work
done hated it because it is a lot of work to think of every algorithm
as a case of recursion, although it is in theory possible.

:     Businesses do not like to "throw it away and write a better one" if
:     what they already have can be tweaked to keep producing.

:     That is going to be a major conflict with the Open Source
:     philosophy.

: --
: How much do we need to pay you to screw Netscape?
:         - BILL GATES, to AOL in a 1996 meeting

 Steven L. Mading  at  BioMagResBank   (BMRB). UW-Madison
 Programmer/Analyst/(Co-SysAdmin)  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 B1108C, Biochem Addition / 433 Babcock Dr / Madison, WI 53706-1544

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Answer this if you can...
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:26:13 +0000

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 11:32:22 +0100, Karel Jansens
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Mart van de Wege wrote:
> >

> > Mart
> > --
> > Happily running Debian, posting with Pan
>
> Totally unrelated to the thread: How does Pan do as an offline
> newsreader? Does it have its own spooler, like krn or the StarOffice
> newsreader, or do you have to rely on something like leafnode?

It has a built-in cache, there's a setting for how much, but it's not
enabled by default.

I have tried Pan several times, but it has a nasty habit of crashing, just
disappearing. Presumaby it segfaults.

> Reason for the question: leafnode has "issues" with my ISP (and I
> don't like krn), so a switch seems in order.

Have you tried Agent running under Wine? It's similar to Pan, and you can
use it in Windows as well, so it's available whichever os you're in. And it
has its own spooler.

Peter
--

In the 19th century surveyors measured the height of Everest
from 500 miles away in India.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whistler/.NET will Help Linux
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 18:34:56 -0500

Craig Kelley wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > > ...unless they manage to outlaw open source software.
> >
> > That's impossible in the US.
> >
> > First Amendment.
>
> Well, according to the honorable judge Kaplan (DeCSS case), source
> code is not speech so it has no first admendment privileges.

I doubt that the Supreme Court would uphold a ruling that
printed instructions don't constitute free speech.

It's already been ruled that bomb-making instructions are
covered under free speech.

> When did you change your e-mail address?  You escaped my killfile,
> damn you!  :)
>
> BTW:  Lose the huge .sig
>
> --
> The wheel is turning but the hamster is dead.
> Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.isu.edu/~kellcrai finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP block

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hmm interesting quote from Kulkis on alt.support.depression
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 18:37:09 -0500

Bloody Viking wrote:

> meow ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> : "Yes its true. My uncle abused me as a child and i never got over it. I
> : now get back at the world by talking shite on newsgroups"
>
> : Aaron R. Kulkis
> : Unix Systems Engineer
> : DNRC Minister of all I survey
> : ICQ # 3056642
>
> IF this is true, so what? Not to mention, he posts some funny flames. Some of
> the best poets are depression sufferers or otherwise have SOME kind of
> "problem". Same with all manner of artists, and flaming is an art form in
> itself, with the easal being USENET.
>
> Aaron likes flaming fatties in the fattie newsgroups. So, if you don't like
> fat slobs, swing on by and drop in.
>
> So, here you are trying to discredit a Linux fan becuse of an alleged
> "problem". But Linux use and "problems" are two completely different issues
> and lots of Linux users out there don't have {problems" at all. So, what's
> your point? There are lots of Windows users with "problems" too, as most
> people in alt.support.* are using Windows and still have their "problem".

Actually, I've never been in alt.support.depression.

> --
> FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
> The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.
> The liver makes the vast majority of the cholesterol in your bloodstream.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: 16 Feb 2001 23:34:41 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: You ask that I fall on my knees and thank the higher power
: "Science" for my existance. I prefer to thank it's creator.

Mankind?  Science is, without a doubt, unarguably, a creation
of Mankind.  Why?  Becasue it's a technique, a process.  It's
a method of learning things.  This is true whether or not you
believe God created the universe.  The things learned are not
themselves 'science'.  Science is the name for the process, not
the end result.  Saying God created science is like saying God
created Robert's Rules of Order.

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 16 Feb 2001 23:36:41 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: That's why Materialism is hopelessly flawed. We all know that JFK
: was shot, but can't repeat the experiment. How do we go about
: proving a historical event.

WTF does that have to do with materialism?

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 16 Feb 2001 23:38:00 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: My comments where not being used as a proof. I am bored by Materialist
: because their phylosophy is so easily shown to be false.

Nobody's done it yet.  WTF are you talking about?

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:40:52 +0000

> :     EBCDIC maybe, not COBOL.  Computer languages have tremendous
> :     longevity if they meet the needs of even a small fraction of the
> :     populace.
>
> :     LISP and BASIC are still with us after years of being derided by
> :     Computer Scientists.
>
> BASIC might fit that description, but LISP was not derided by Computer
> Scientists.  They loved it.  People who wanted to get practical work
> done hated it because it is a lot of work to think of every algorithm as
> a case of recursion, although it is in theory possible.

Definitely possible. I don't know about List (I know a bit of Haskell,
another functional language) but it can be extremely elegant to write
purely recursive algorithms. After all, a loop is just one specific case
where you can think the whole thing through (according to Knuth).

-Ed

--
Did you know that the reason that windows steam up in cold|Edward Rosten
weather is because of all the fish in the atmosphere?     |u98ejr

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: The Windows guy.
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:44:35 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis wrote:

>Charlie Ebert wrote:

>> >Who said I use an editor?
>> >
>> >cat | cc
>> >
>> >is usually sufficient.

>> >--
>> >Aaron R. Kulkis
>> >Unix Systems Engineer
>> >DNRC Minister of all I survey
>> >ICQ # 3056642
>> >

>> DO NOT expect me to give a discussion of how to WIRE a 60's era CPU
>> for batch processing.
>
>Is that with or 1-conductor patch cords?

I don't know what the 1-conductor was but
they were definitely patch cords.

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org

------------------------------

From: Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DOS2Unix
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:45:38 GMT

Karel Jansens wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Tim Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > Karel Jansens wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't know whether IBM had already "abandoned" OS/2 in 1995, seeing
> >> as up to middle to end 1996 OS/2 was still a very strong contender to
> >> Windows 95, with a healthy software development scene.
> >>
> >> In hindsight, the writing on the wall became quite apparent by early
> >> '97.
> > ==============================
> >
> > According to trial testimony, it was sacrificed on the evening of August
> > 23, 1995 during negotiations with Microsoft on getting price for Windows
> > 95, which was introduced the next day.  Check out the testimony of the
> > anti-trust trial.
> >

> I believe you allright. But IBM is a big dinosaur with extremely long
> nerve pathways from the brain to the extremities. Divisions in IBM have
> actively supported OS/2 after that infamous day, at first with outspoken
> support from the Powers That Be, and later as a sort of guerilla
> operating system task force (see if you can get Brad Barclay or Jim
> Stuyck to talk about "them Good Ole Days" - quite literally in Jim's
> case!).
>
> I guess it was not meant to be... <sigh!>

My brother got into OS/2 more heavily than I did.  My experience was
(after installing it several times from floppy) was generally good, but
without a string of applications I was left with nothing to run on it.
It seemed to be a lot more stable.  I made an assumption about the
schitzophrenic message from IBM, concluded, correctly as it turned out,
that Microsoft was busy sprinkling cleanser in the gear oil at every
opportunity.   I reluctantly fdisked the drive and installed Windows 95.

--
Any great truth can -- and eventually will -- be expressed as a cliche
-- a cliche is a sure and certain way to dilute an idea.  For instance,

------------------------------

From: Paul Teale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:48:39 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

Subject: Re: It's just too easy
From: imekon@$$$REMOVE$$$.freeuk.com (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:48:03 GMT

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in <96karo$1u9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>I installed a new NIC in a frien's RH 6.2 box today.

I installed a new NIC in my own PC. On Windows, it asked for a driver disk.
On Linux Mandrake, it didn't even notice it was there.

I tried to configure it manually and it failed. I told it to use via-rhine,
then it worked.

>It's too easy. This has been my experience (more or less) with adding
>hardware since RH5.2 (my forst distro). This is why I am skeptical about
>the wintrolls with all these problems. I've simply never had them.

You think your own experience is the norm?

>All problems I have had have been with faulty hardware. All the other
>problems have been with Win9X which is quite frankly awful.

My own experiences have been the complete opposite of yours. Who is telling
the truth here? You or me?

Would it surprise you if I said both of us? And would you understand why?

--
Pete Goodwin
---

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows XP! Will it really be reliable?
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:48:42 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis wrote:

>Charlie Ebert wrote:

>> >it's a joke, Charlie....
>> >laugh a little.

>> >I'm well aware of this.

>> >That's the secret contract referred to above...

>> >--
>> >Aaron R. Kulkis
>> >Unix Systems Engineer
>> >DNRC Minister of all I survey
>> >ICQ # 3056642
>> >

>> I knew *YOU* knew about this AK.
>>
>> But what of the rest of them.
>>
>> Do *THEY* know that all HP customers are
>> signing non-disclosure agreements to cover
>> this fact up????
>>
>> Do I give a shit!  NO.
>>
>> But this is absolutely true.  Intel has
>> a pac with Microsoft so Microsoft has time
>> to finish up it's 64 bit OS before Intel's
>> chip hit's market.
>>
>> A chip which was largely designed by HP.
>>
>> And BTW, HP contributed greately to the Linux
>> 64 bit kernel which was actually READY BEFORE
>> the HP-9000's ever started using this processor.
>>
>> And one more FYI.  There *IS* a very good possibilty
>> that HP-UX will be penguified in a couple of years.
>
>Why not.  It's a hell of a lot cheaper than maintaining HP-UX.

This is mere speculation, but this reasoning is VERY GOOD...

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Linux Mandrake and DHCP
From: imekon@$$$REMOVE$$$.freeuk.com (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:49:49 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in <96kacs$rv5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Idiot, man ifconfig.  Follow directions, find the problem.

Actually, pillock, it seemed more likely it would be DHCP. Someone else has
already pointed out a possible reason.

--
Pete Goodwin
---

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 16 Feb 2001 23:42:40 GMT

Nigel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: DOS (and windows console) can pipe the output of one command into the next
: (e.g. 'DIR |more' which pipes the output of DIR into the 'more' command)

No.  It might look like that's what's happening on the surface, but in
reality DOS ran the programs one at a time.  First it stored the output
of the first program temporarily in a hidden file.  Second it ran
the second program and fed it that file as input.  True pipes require
multiple simultaneous processes to be running, something DOS didn't
have.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:59:55 GMT

In article <96k84c$mui$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bloody Viking wrote:

>meow ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
>: "Yes its true. My uncle abused me as a child and i never got over it. I
>: now get back at the world by talking shite on newsgroups"
>
>: Aaron R. Kulkis
>: Unix Systems Engineer
>: DNRC Minister of all I survey
>: ICQ # 3056642
>
>IF this is true, so what? Not to mention, he posts some funny flames. Some of
>the best poets are depression sufferers or otherwise have SOME kind of
>"problem". Same with all manner of artists, and flaming is an art form in
>itself, with the easal being USENET.

Do they have a "I've just been woken up at 3:00 AM because my Microsoft shit
crashed -- newsgroup"  by chance?

I need to belong to that one.  That's the kind of abuse which has caused
*MY* mental disorder.

Now, as far as AK being abused as a child and the such, and this message
which was dug up, it looks very nice and all that but how does anybody
on this earth know it actually came from AK?

Where is the proof?

>Aaron likes flaming fatties in the fattie newsgroups. So, if you don't like
>fat slobs, swing on by and drop in.

This is even funnier.  Again.  Where is the proof this came from AK?

>So, here you are trying to discredit a Linux fan becuse of an alleged
>"problem". But Linux use and "problems" are two completely different issues
>and lots of Linux users out there don't have {problems" at all. So, what's
>your point? There are lots of Windows users with "problems" too, as most
>people in alt.support.* are using Windows and still have their "problem".
>
>--
>FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
>The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.
>The liver makes the vast majority of the cholesterol in your bloodstream.

Well,

As a debating tactic I'll give him a 7-8-8.

And I'm sure AK will give him higher scores for creative genius.

Ah, let's ask the man for his official judging?

Did the skater cut the ice just right here AK or was there some
spray on that last curve?

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**