From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Hatred?
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 18:46:08 -0500

Tom Wilson wrote:

> "Nick Condon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Pete Goodwin wrote:
> > > WIN32 isn't always changing. It's being extended.
> >
> > He also wrote:
> > > In case you hadn't noticed, Windows API is always changing
> >
> > So which is it?
> >
> > An API is an Applications Programming Interface, if you stop to think for
> one
> > second before posting you will realise that an interface that is always
> > changing defeats the entire purpose of defining an interface.
>
> I think their purpose is to drive programmers using the WinAPIs to
> alcoholism or homicidal rages. Objects capable of blunt trauma, such as
> hammers, are kept hidden from us at work...No hooch to be found either.

How about explosive substances?

> --
> Tom Wilson
> Sunbelt Software Solutions

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux vs Microsoft
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 23:47:27 GMT

I just wanted to confirm that all Linux bigots have their head in ground
and put down alternatives without ever even trying them. Those that are
respectfully prudent would at least try something before they knock it.

Aaron, contrary to your assumptions, I have probably used more versions
of Unix/Linux than yourself (especially since you sound so immature).
The point regarding Redhat 7.0 vs. W2K SP1 is to compare the latest and
greatest on each side.

BTW, how productive are you on your 70's hardware? You appear extremely
marketable.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Would Linux be invented if?
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 18:47:17 -0500

Flacco wrote:

> > > Isn't it funny how all those companies who HAD OBJECTIVES to
> > > conquer Windows failed and the one who was just playing one
> > > year with a kernel with NO AMBITIONS WHAT-SO-EVER will be
> > > the one to topple Microsoft.
>
> Open source.  The Linux kernel after a year of development stood absolutely
> zero chance of toppling MS.  The fact that it was open source and was picked
> up as a project by countless developers might have had something to do with
> it.
>
> > Thus, QUALITY was the primary goal, instead of marketing.
> >
> > High quality sells itself.
>
> ...especially when the price is $0.
>
> > No...its the work of quality.
>
> Agreed.  But I must say I wish the Linux community had some of the marketing
> sense that MS has.  There should be a Windows Clone distribution to allow
> Windows users to ease into Linux wiht as little resistance as possible.  The

That's what the fvvm95 GUI is for.

> arguments about a given Linux desktop environment's superiority over Windows
> does no good converting Windows users.  There are many who may be interested
> in trying something different, but not if it takes them 45 minutes to figure
> out how to create the equivalent of a desktop shortcut.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why NT?
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 18:48:42 -0500

Nick wrote:

> We keep a NT box around to run Win32 Based daemons / programs on. Also,
                                 ^^^^^^
                                Lose32

> our primary domain controller and (gasp!) our web server are NT servers
> (don't ask).Other than that, Samba & Linux across the board. All of our
> desktop systems with the exception of mine are Winboxes, however.
>
> Craig Kelley wrote:
> >
> > mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > > With operating systems as great as Linux and FreeBSD available for free,
> > > why would anyone consider Windows NT Server?
> > >
> > > I can't think of a single reason why any responsible IT department would
> > > deploy NT.
> >
> > Application server for proprietary systems.
> >
> > That's the only reason to use it, unless you enjoy paying more for
> > less.
> >
> > --
> > The wheel is turning but the hamster is dead.
> > Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > http://www.isu.edu/~kellcrai finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP block

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.microsoft.sucks
Subject: Re: Global Configuration tool (WAS: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 18:50:04 -0500

Jure Sah wrote:

> Peter Hayes wrote:
> > I have a machine with 'ME on it that won't complete the boot process until
> > I hit the eject button on the CD drive. No CD needed, just eject the tray
> > and push it back. Maybe not exactly a "crash" but the next best thing....
>
> WTF of a kind of a computer do you have?!

Intel or Intel-compatible, of course.

Are there any other choices?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip
Subject: Re: OEditors: Xedit vs. vi or emacs
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 18:51:24 -0500

Gary Hallock wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
>
> > Gary Hallock wrote:

> > > So, that means you should try to make it as convoluted as possible?
> >
> > Apparently that's what you and the authors of Xedit think.
> >

> You haven't listened to a word I said.   It's the 3270 hardware, not
> xedit.  If you want to blame the 3270 architecture, that's fine.  But it
> was not xedit that caused the problem.

I.e...the PROGRAMMING of the 3270 terminal...

Which gets RIGHT back to my original statement.

                IBM software sucks.

> Gary

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 23:55:42 +0000
From: Jacques Guy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Almost 60% Surveyed Plan To Install Windows 2000

Larry R wrote:

> I don't know who they surveyed, but I don't believe them.

I believe them. Pay attention to what they wrote in the
excerpt you quoted:

[snip snip snip... here:]

> Enterprise Management Associates Inc., a market
> research firm, conducted the November 2000 telephone survey of
> InformationWeek subscribers who have technology or budget
> responsibility for Windows 2000 in their companies.

So, they asked the people responsible for the technology or
the funding for Windows 2000. What do you expect?

Well, that's not a great result, really. Because 100%-60% = 40%
(admire my mathematical knowledge!), so that 40% of the people
financially or technically responsible for Windows 2000 do NOT
intend to install it.

Next time, they ought to ask members of the Republican (or
Democrat) Party if they intend to vote Republican (or Democrat).

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip
Subject: Re: Operating Systems? Where would you go next?
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 18:53:44 -0500

Gary Hallock wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
>

> > What...you can't even remember what the fuck you wrote?
>
> Ues, I remember.  Obviously you can not read.

> > > suggested that you read the manual first before blaming xedit developers for
> > > something that they could not control.
> >
> > so, now you are repeated the assertion that I should read the 3270
> > manual while denying that you ever said it.
> >
> > Hint fucking hint:  it's best to not contradict yourself within
> >         the space of a paragraph.
>
> I said you should read the 3270 manual.   I said that I said that.   I did not
> chastise you for  not reading it.  I did not suggest that you needed to read it
> to use xedit or to use a 3270.   I said that you should read it before blaming
> xedit developers for a problem with the 3270 hardware.   I'm not the only one who
> has told you that the xedit developers were limited by the available hardware.
> You really should learn to read.

So, in other words, the idiotic behavior of IBM XEDIT is due to the idiotic
behavior of the IBM 3270 terminal, which is determined by the idiotic software
written by IBM programmers.

I fail to see how this absolves IBM of responsibility for the idiotic
behavior of the standard editor on IBM mainframes when used on the
standard terminal for IBM mainframes.

> Gary

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: auto run
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 18:54:12 -0500

ZippiZ wrote:

> I am using Turbolinux and Debian, I know the way to set the program to
> autorun at startup is the rc.local in Turbolinux, but what is that in
> Debian? Thanks for any suggestion!
>
> ZippiZ

What the fuck is autorun?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Profitability of Linux being a challenge
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 23:45:19 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  * <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> JSPL wrote:
>
> > "R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >
> > > Keep in mind that most Linux browsers are identified as
> > > Unknown (20,548,518 identified user IP addresses).
> >
> > They are?? How nice that you've taken over the
> > complete "unknown" column for
> > Linux. I guess it just too bad for the millions of crawlers, email
> > harvesters, and WYSIWYG html editors.

Actually
http://www.oscounter.org/counter/counterstats.cgi?
id=978647188&db=oscountercounter

(paste the two lines together).

Gives a good sense of how "other" breaks down.  There are
some others that weren't included in the other counter, these
include

Spiders (100 ppb) - this is actually not likely to grow.  There are
about 5,000 spiders and they pretty much go everywhere.

Amiga (someone has a wierd sense of humor?) 100 ppm - again probably
too many more than that.

40450 hits since 04 Nov 1998

                  Operating Systems
    Windows 98               6649
    Windows 95               6617
    Windows NT               5994
    Other                    4907
    Amiga                    4454
    Linux                    3835
    Robot Spider             3788
    MacOS                    1050
    OS/2                     1036
    BeOS                      749
    SunOS                     566
    Windows 3.x               223
    Irix                      126
    FreeBSD                   107
    HP/UX                      95
    OSF                        65
    Aix                        46
    NetBSD                     33
    RiscOS                     30
    TuringOS                   28
    DOS                        13
    WebTV                       5
    QNX                         5
    Solaris                     3
    VMS                         2
    SCO                         1
    Reliant                     1

> well, i thought he was being very democratic!

It's almost the same problem.  On the one hand, you have one
survey with millions of hits (nearly 1/2 billion identified hosts)
but only a few catagories (machine counts).

In another "straw poll" - you have a relatively small sample
(only 40,000 identified hosts) and yet you have a much finer
detailed breakdown of items that were excluded from "other".

Keep in mind that Microsoft insisted that all browsers identify
which version of Windows was being run.  Linux on the other hand
didn't even have a uniquely identifiable signature until Netscape 4.5
and even then memory leak problems drove most Linux users into using
one of the other 15 more "anonymous" browsers, or Netscape over WINE.

Corel actually did quite a bit of work cleaning up WINE when they
decided to offer their Corel Office suite "for Linux".  Corel Draw
and Paradox both ran under Windows 95 emulation provided by Linux.

Ironically, many companies may find themselves turning to Linux
when they want to have Windows 95 compatibility (since Microsoft
is no longer offering Enterprise License agreements on either
Windows 98 or Windows 95.  Microsoft is pushing Windows 2000 very
hard, but many corporate users aren't buying.

> (erm. actually a pun. on the election. recount.
> in florida. ok it was stupid.)

Actually, I thought it was cute :-) !

--
Rex Ballard - VP I/T Architecture
Linux Advocate, Internet Pioneer

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux can be made unstable, too.
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 19:00:00 -0500

Donn Miller wrote:

> Yes.  Just run a lot of svgalib apps, and keep switching back and forth
> between the console and XFree86.  Sometimes, XFree86 totally destroys
> the console video driver, and if it goes deep enough, it can also wreck
> the keyboard driver as well.  Note that I am always able to telnet in to
> my box when XFree86 wreaks the console/keyboard, and kill XFree86.
> Machine operation goes back to normal.

Translation:  If I repeatedly switch between two programs accessing
the same device an extreme number of times, I can get it to crash.

> Unfortunately, it's just a home machine, so I have logins disabled, so I
> have no choice but to press the reset button.

It's just a home machine, so I have logins disabled....?

uh....yooooooo hooo....Donnny...just change your short-sighted
decision to disable logins, and your problem can be remedied.

>                                                 Granted, it doesn't
> happen very often (maybe once a year), but XFree86 can wreck a Linux
> box.  It seems like XFree86 4, 4.0.1 have been making this happen more
> often. On a single-user box with logins disabled, this is as good as a
> crash.
>
> I say that even if it were possible to make a Linux box crash like this,
> it's still way faster and more responsive than a Windows box.
>
> I don't like Windows very much, as I am very much a Linux and FreeBSD
> advocate.  But, I do try to be objective.  I'm probably going to get
> blasted out of the window with the responses to this. 8-)  Probably I'll
> see a lot of "well, what the hell were you doing running svgalib in the
> first place?????!!!!"  The answer is in order for Linux to be an
> all-around good OS, a user should be able to use svgalib and alternate
> windowing systems on it if he/she chooses.  In fact, I think it would be
> need to develop new graphics systems on Linux that are alternative to
> X.  X is the best Windowing system for networked applications, to be
> sure.  But, it sure would be neat to see some alternative ones being
> developed.  Linux has to be good for more than just running X.  You
> should be able to do whatever you want with it.  The sky is the limit
> for open source systems.

> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.