Linux-Advocacy Digest #685, Volume #26           Thu, 25 May 00 13:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  Re: FFS, RIAA sues SuperPimpSoft (Bob Hauck)
  Re: Why my company will NOT use Linux (JEDIDIAH)
  Re: Font deuglification ?? (Bob Hauck)
  Re: Fun with Brain Dead Printers. (Craig Kelley)
  Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux (John Hasler)
  Re: Linux (Craig Kelley)
  Re: how to enter a bug report against linux? (Frank McKenney)
  Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Will Linux run MSDOS programs (Timothy J. Lee)
  Re: Linux will never progress beyond geekdome ("Joseph Kehoe")
  Re: You have never seen Linux like this (Nicholas Murison)
  Re: Goodwin's Law invoked - Thread now dead (was Re: Would a M$  ("Joe Malloy")
  Re: Linux, Is it good? (bytes256)
  Re: how to enter a bug report against linux? (John Hasler)
  Re: Windows by Day, Linux by Night (Nathaniel Jay Lee)
  Re: Linux will never progress beyond geekdome (JEDIDIAH)
  Re: Goodwin's Law invoked - Thread now dead (was Re: Would a M$ (EdWIN)
  Re: Goodwin's Law invoked - Thread now dead (was Re: Would a M$ (EdWIN)
  Re: Linux good choice for home desktop. (aflinsch)
  Re: Which Dist? (HTML) (John Girash)
  Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux (Jim Richardson)
  Re: Thorne digest, volume 2451690 (EdWIN)
  Re: how to enter a bug report against linux? (Mark Wilden)
  Re: Linux will never progress beyond geekdome (Salvador Peralta)
  Re: You have never seen Linux like this (Salvador Peralta)
  Re: how to enter a bug report against linux? (Mark Wilden)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: FFS, RIAA sues SuperPimpSoft
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 15:08:07 GMT

On Wed, 24 May 2000 21:21:33 -0500, Mike Trettel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Darren Winsper) wrote:

>> The RIAA have demanded SuperPimpSoft remove the auto-decoder from PAN,

>I don't get it.  Why aren't they sueing Forte?  Pan isn't the only
>newsreader that automatically decodes multipart binaries.

Because the RIAA is made up of suits with no clue.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Subject: Re: Why my company will NOT use Linux
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 15:11:31 GMT

On Thu, 25 May 2000 10:11:34 -0400, Colin R. Day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Aaron Kulkis wrote:

>> > True, there is that. But I need the need the CD's more than I need
>> > the support.
>>
>> Burn your own!
>
>a) I don't have a CD-writer.

        Make friends with someone who does. Given the cost of CD Writers
        these days, that shouldn't be too hard...

--

    In what language does 'open' mean 'execute the evil contents of'    |||
    a document?      --Les Mikesell                                    / | \

                                      Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Font deuglification ??
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 15:10:46 GMT

On Thu, 25 May 2000 10:05:31 -0400, Dave Rolfe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>cannot properly display web pages for this reason. I feel the web page display
>problem is very serious and should be high on the todo list.

The web page font problem is not the same problem as the word processor
font problem.

The former problem has to do with stupid webmasters who assume that all
the world has "arial" and "times new roman" installed (and some
poorly-chosen defaults in Netscape too...there's a HOWTO someplace on that
one).

The latter has to do with the display and printing models of Linux not
being integrated or particularly consistent.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Fun with Brain Dead Printers.
From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 25 May 2000 09:13:44 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH) writes:

> On Thu, 25 May 2000 04:34:24 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
> >
> >Fucking idiot. The guy's printer works under the most popular OS on
>
>       So? Now are we, members of a free market, to only restrict
>       ourselves to a singlular choice now as if we were captives
>       in some Stalinesque regime?

Stop feeding him already.

I wonder if simon7777 is related to our good friend tek7777.

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 12:49:28 GMT

David Steuber writes:
> On my machines, I have code with quite a variety of licenses.  Those
> include GPL, BSD, QPL, Perl's Artistic License, the TCL license, and a
> bunch of others.  The base system is GNU/Linux.  A bunch of libraries in
> use are either GPL or LGPL, including libc.

> Have I violated someone's license?

Not the GPL, certainly.  The GPL is about distribution: you can do whatever
you want with GPL code in the privacy of you own machine.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Linux
From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 25 May 2000 09:20:53 -0600

"Sandi Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I am looking for Linux programmers.  If anyone can help locate some that
> would be great let me know.

Spamming for programmers?

I don't think that'll work very well.

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank McKenney)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: how to enter a bug report against linux?
Date: 25 May 2000 15:28:58 GMT

In <8gih3m$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, s@- writes:
--snip--
>The fact that we have 500,000 lines of code, being worked on
>by hundreds of programmers, and with not a proper way for users
>to report bugs against it, is just a pathetic if you ask me.
>
>Imagine Solaris or VMS or OS390 or AIX being build without having
>a bug-tracking system. Tell the programmers working on any one of
>the above OS's that no bug-tracking system is needed and see
>what response you will get.
>
>btw, this is not just against linux, it is against any software
>project of large size that behaves the same way. Show me any such
>project, and I will say the same thing about it. This is just not a linux
>problem, it is a software engineering problem.

"s@-",

And yet...  it works.  And, remembering some of the problems our shop
experienced with various OS/370 releases and flavors, I'd say Linux
works at _least_ as well (;-).

But...  if my perception has anything to do with reality, it brings up
an interesting question:  do we (the DP/IT/Consultant/CompSci/hacker
community) need to re-examine the process of creating/maintaining
software?  Perhaps the lessons learned and organized as "Software
Engineering", while important, are incomplete?  The first working
suspension bridge didn't invalidate all previous civil engineering
knowledge, but its _existence_ did open up new ways of thinking about
bridge construction.

I'd _really_ like to hear Rodney "Mythical Man-Month" Brooks comment on
this after he had time to do a study on the evolution of and ongoing
support for Linux vs.  OS/360.

Frank McKenney, McKenney Associates
Richmond, Virginia / (804) 320-4887
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: 25 May 2000 15:41:59 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob
Hauck) writes:
|On Wed, 24 May 2000 01:45:51 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
|
||Microsoft may have gotten the idea that the judge was biased against them,
||and that they had no hope of getting a fair trial.
|
|The problem with that reasoning is that you don't get to re-argue your
|case on appeal.  My understanding is that you generally only get to argue
|that errors were made in the prosecution of the case.  Losing on purpose
|would seem to make that harder rather than easier.

|--
| -| Bob Hauck
| -| Codem Systems, Inc.
| -| http://www.codem.com/

Unless MS thought they would have an "unfair advantage" at the appeals
level that they did not have with Judge Jackson: witness their feeble
attempts to lobby Bush and threaten the economy.

Problem is, it doesn't seem to be working very well for them. The
obvious lying, the email evidence, the witnesses - not to mention the
fabrication of evidence - don't make MS's chances on appeal look good.
On top of everything else, Judge Jackson shows no signs of commiting
any reversible error(s). Once burned, he is determined to tie this
case up in a neat little bow; and, he's doing a very good job of it!

Guido

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Timothy J. Lee)
Subject: Re: Will Linux run MSDOS programs
Date: 25 May 2000 15:58:04 GMT

hauck[at]codem{dot}com writes:
|Many distributions include DOSEMU, or you can get the latest version at
|<http://www.dosemu.org/>.  If you get that one, you'll also need to come
|up with a version of DOS to run in the emulator (I use MS-DOS 5.0 and
|Caldera OpenDOS).

How about FreeDOS (http://www.freedos.org)?

Timothy J. Lee                                                   timlee@
Unsolicited bulk or commercial email is not welcome.             netcom.com

From: "Joseph Kehoe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux will never progress beyond geekdome
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 17:06:42 +0100

win4win <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Sorry Unix/Linux geeks.. but Windows Wins.. I just installed Red Splat
> Linux and really had to brush the dust off the Unix memories to get it
> running.  I'm so sure that your average user can wade through a Linux
> install and deal with all those Unix-ie messages! Not.  Windows has
> NOTHING to fear until Linux can overcome its Unix-ness.
>
> Phtttt.

Average users are unable to install windows as well.

------------------------------

From: Nicholas Murison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: You have never seen Linux like this
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 18:13:47 +0200

Please fuck off
--
Nicholas John Murison
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

------------------------------

From: "Joe Malloy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Goodwin's Law invoked - Thread now dead (was Re: Would a M$
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 12:09:43 -0400

Tholen tholes again:

> > Tholen tholes:
>
> On what basis do you make that claim, Malloy?

On the basis that you are doing that activity which is characterized by
"thole."

> >> What allleged "idiot", Aaron?
>
> > Ha ha, you have to ask, Tholen?
>
> There was no evidence provided, Malloy.

It was obvious to all but you, Tholen, as the affected party.

> > QED!
>
> How ironic.

Not very.
--

"USB, idiot, stands for Universal Serial Bus. There is no power on the
output socket of any USB port I have ever seen" - Bob Germer
news:6K9X4.13512$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: bytes256 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux, Is it good?
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 16:10:31 GMT

In article <g_aX4.116$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Sandi Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am looking for Linux programmers.  We will pay $1000 referral fees
if we
> hire any person you refer to us.  Let me know.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stephen Barton
> Xpedition Company, L.P.
> 512-327-9172
> 888-842-9172
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Fax 512-327-1725

i can free-lance/telicommute as a linux programmer

but i can't move to your location

--
And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last.

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 15:03:23 GMT

Peter writes:
> It's at least as good as the one that tracks the governments activities
> (known as "the press").

It can't possibly be that bad.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows by Day, Linux by Night
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 11:25:04 -0500

JEDIDIAH wrote:

> On Wed, 24 May 2000 08:37:49 -0500, Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >2:1 wrote:

> [deletia]
> >It looks like everyone missed the point of the original post.  If you
> >had read the article, you would have seen that this book is aimed at
> >those of us who are forced to use Windows for various reasons, but
> >prefer Linux when we can use it.  Myself, I hate using Windows, but for
>
>         No. He got the point. He got the point better than you did.
>         It is far more likely that someone who's prefered OS Linux
>         is in some way a 'refugee' from DOS or Win/DOS.
>
>         Also, given the way many of us interact with our systems we're
>         probably much more likely to have an intimate understanding of
>         Windows than any other class of user.
>
> >certain things (in my case, multi-trac recording software) I am forced
> >to use it.  I know a bit about tuning it, but not enough to truly be
> >comfortable with using it for something I consider to be very
> >important.  I realize that no book will completely cover my fears, but
> >at least I might learn a little more about why Windows is puking up the
> >last three days work I did, or maybe I'll even be able to prevent it
> >from puking at all.
>
>         ...sounds like a book better directed at the masses who
>         think they actually want to run Windows and might have
>         problems with it from time to time.
>
>         BTW, anyone know where I can get docs on the *.ICL format?
>
> --
>
>     In what language does 'open' mean 'execute the evil contents of'    |||
>     a document?      --Les Mikesell                                    / | \
>
>                                       Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

You know, you are probably right.  I have a tendancy to see things in
more than one way, and I don't always agree with the Linux masses (which
is why it is hard for me to justify my Linux obsession sometimes).  But
no matter what the motivation behind the book, the posting stated it is
directed at Linux/Unix users that need/have to use Windows.  I know, I'm
a complete asshole because I haven't written my own software to create
music on Linux.  Like I've said before, I don't have the time, patience,
or programming skill to write the programs that I want, and I'm not
about to be told that if I were a "TRUE LINUX USER" I would wait until
the software was available to get the job done on Linux.

Sorry, but sometimes my patience with the "Anything but Linux is pure
shit, and the people that use it are scum" crowd wears a little thin.
But that's my opinion.  I'm not happy with the situation, but it's the
one I'm stuck in.

Nathaniel Jay Lee

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 16:27:53 GMT

On Thu, 25 May 2000 17:06:42 +0100, Joseph Kehoe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>win4win <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Sorry Unix/Linux geeks.. but Windows Wins.. I just installed Red Splat
>> Linux and really had to brush the dust off the Unix memories to get it
>> running.  I'm so sure that your average user can wade through a Linux
>> install and deal with all those Unix-ie messages! Not.  Windows has
>> NOTHING to fear until Linux can overcome its Unix-ness.
>>
>> Phtttt.
>
>Average users are unable to install windows as well.

        <snicker>

        Some average users are unable to use a new peripheral like a flatbed
        scanner even after someone else has fully installed it for them...

        Sometimes, even having access to a local Windows guru is not help...

        <snicker>

From: EdWIN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 09:32:28 -0700

In article <Fc7X4.13493$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Aaron Kulkis writes:
>
>> Christopher Smith wrote:
>
>>> We sic Tholen onto you.
>
>> Is that idiot still around?
>
>What allleged

Using made-up words again, Tholen (little boy)?  How ironic.

> "idiot", Aaron?

Don't you know?

From: EdWIN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 09:35:29 -0700

In article <6K9X4.13512$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, The
Tholenator tholened:

>Joe Malloy writes:
>
>> Tholen tholes:
>
>On what basis do you make that claim, Malloy?

Don't you know?

>>> What allleged "idiot", Aaron?
>
>> Ha ha, you have to ask, Tholen?
>
>There was no evidence provided, Malloy.

Incorrect.

>> QED!
>
>How ironic.

Balderdash.

From: aflinsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux good choice for home desktop.
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 12:22:37 -0500

LFessen106 wrote:

> >Sure it is, if you are a programmer geek. If you are normal, Linux is
> >worst choice you could possibly make for a desktop system.
> >
> >I'd rather run a Commodore-64
>
> So what's wrong with a Commodore 64 ???
>
> Once you have one you can run LUnix (a unix clone for Commodore's).

What about runing vice (a c64 emulator) under linux?
Then you can run LUnix under vice.

could be interesting.

------------------------------

From: John Girash <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Which Dist? (HTML)
Date: 25 May 2000 12:37:56 -0500

In comp.os.linux.misc Paul E. Larson <whistler<blahblah>@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
: In article <veyV4.73959$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Nick"
:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:>             Other

: This is my favorite release, the 1.6 distribution was very easy to install.

yeah, but I hear that their next version will be called "v8.2 Gold".

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 22:52:38 -0700

On 25 May 2000 04:54:09 GMT,
 Peter T. Breuer, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>In comp.os.linux.misc Jim Richardson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>: Sure, you can replicate the functionality in RPM or Deb easily enough, but
>: not with just the ./configure;make;make install mentioned. (At least not
>: without the connivence of the writer of the ./configure script.) RPM allready
>
>setenv INSTALL "pkginstall install -c"
>
>(and thus log what goes where)
>
>Peter

Having logged it, what tool do you use to check before removing/upgrading
something?
(this is slackware you are discussing, right? )

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

Subject: Re: Thorne digest, volume 2451690
From: EdWIN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 09:44:59 -0700

In article <d37X4.13489$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Today's Thorne digest:
>
>1> Prove it, if you think you can.
>
>Classic illogic.

Balderdash.

>1> Posting for entertainment purposes again, Tholen (little
boy)?

>How ironic.

Incorrect.

>1> How typical.
>
>Incorrect.

Balderdash.

>2> Incorrect.
>
>How ironic.

Incorrect.

>2> You're erroneously presupposed the existence of "A."
>
>Incorrect.

Balderdash.

>2> Unnecessary.   Meanwhile, where is your logical argument?
Why,
>2> nowhere to be seen!
>
>Try opening your eyes, Thorne.

Unnecessary.

>3> Don't you know?
>
>3> Typical invective, laced with irony.
>
>3> Don't you know?
>
>3> Incorrect.
>
>3> Don't you know?
>
>3> See what I mean?
>
>3> Prove it, if you think you can.
>
>3> Incorrect.
>
>3> Prove it, if you think you can.
>
>3> Typical erroneous and unsubstaniated claim.
>
>3> Don't you know?
>
>3> Prove it, if you think you can.
>
>3> Incorrect.
>
>3> Prove it, if you think you can.
>
>3> Don't you know?
>
>3> Don't you know?
>
>3> Prove it, if you think you can.
>
>3> Argument by repetition?  How typical.
>
>3> Reading comprehesion makes a cameo appearance in Dave
Tholen's
>3> replies.
>
>3> Posting for entertainment purposes again?  How ironic.
>
>3> Don't you know?
>
>4> Prove it, if you think you can.
>
>4> On what basis do you make this claim?
>
>You're wasting your time, Thorne.

Prove it, if you think you can.   Meanwhile, where is your
logical argument?   Why, nowhere to be seen!

From: Mark Wilden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 17:47:11 +0100

Frank McKenney wrote:

> Rodney "Mythical Man-Month" Brooks

Fred.

------------------------------

From: Salvador Peralta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 09:50:43 -0700

Linux exists BECAUSE the market likes it, not in spite of it.  As
someone who reads rfc's and writes perl scripts for the sheer pleasure
of it, I probably qualify as a geek.  As someone who was always valued
for athletics and rhetoric more than creativity and logic, I have worked
long and hard to develop the skills necessary to becoming a geek.  I
take pride in it.

We geeks consititute a market.  We are application developers and system
administrators who want a cheap, stable, powerful platform on which to
develop our applications and build our networks.  Those of us who are
concerned with things like ethics and community use linux because we
believe in the agenda of open source or because we disagree with the
agendas and practices of many proprietary alternatives.

We geeks are in demand.  According to the L.A. Times, there will be
nearly 800,000 new jobs created for application developers and system
administrators in the United States this year.  There will be fewer than
400,000 applicants for those positions.

The marketplace of IT managers likes linux because it is a cheap server
platform with a built in core of application developers and system
administrators (the aforementioned geek market).  And ultimately, the
marketplace of consumers like it because the applications we deploy
applications, documents, and media over the network, and it is this type
of activity that is driving the economy.

Make no mistake.  Linux and the open source model is a threat to the way
that many traditional software companies do business.  The durability
and longevity of the software, relatively quick learning curve for
developers and administrators, even the very nature community's core
ideologies makes linux and open source attractive platforms on which to
build enterprise.

YMMV

--
Salvador Peralta
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Salvador Peralta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 09:55:28 -0700

Probably not an appropriate response to someone interested in hiring
people and helping us to grow the community of paid linux developers.

YMMV

--
Salvador Peralta
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Mark Wilden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 17:53:37 +0100

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Mark Wilden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : That's just another argument in favour of test suites, then. That way,
> : when the hardware changes, you can identify the change with the test
> : suite, instead of wondering whether it was your latest change that broke
> : the code.
>
> Unfortunately, you wouldn't know even with the test suite. Was it you?

If the previous build succeeds with the test suite, and the current one
doesn't, yes, it's you.

> Was it the rest of the kernel?

Test suites are combinations of many separate unit tests that verify the
contract agreed to by each part of the kernel is doing its job.

> Was it a bad chip? Is it a bad batch of
> chips?

If the previous build succeeded against one chip, but fails against
another, then it's the chip.

> Will it change back again next week?

You'll never know unless you can test it.

> Was it the mobo?

Dunno what a mobo is. :)

> You cannot control the variables as you would like.

Of course, you're right. But without a test suite you not only can't
control the variables, you can't even measure them and compare them. All
you know (if you're lucky!) is that something that worked before doesn't
work now. Since software is more changeable than hardware, you're forced
to assume that it's your code that caused the problem, so you have to
break out the debugger.

That's why I think flakey hardware makes test suites even more vital.