From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 12:26:08 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis writes:

>>> it's similar to "dw" and "dG"

>> Are you claiming it's intuitive, Aaron, after claiming that nothing
>> about computers is intuitive?

Note:  no response.  How interesting.

>>> Were these first-time electrical-device users?

>> Irrelevant, given that the topic of discussion is the power switch of
>> a computer, Aaron.  Or did you forget that already?

Note:  no response.

>>> A) yes
>>> B) no

>> "Have you stopped beating your wife?  Yes or no."

Note:  no response.

>>> Was this the first time that they ever used an electrical appliance?

>> Irrelevant, given that the topic of discussion is the power switch of
>> a computer, Aaron.  Or did you forget that already?

Note:  no response.

>>> A) yes
>>> B) no

>> "Have you stopped beating your wife?  Yes or no."

> Have you stopped giving head to the Dean of Students at U of Hawaii?

Apparently you still don't recognize your illogic.

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red hat becoming illegal?
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 12:53:59 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

> People often become enraged after hearing the truth.

However, because someone becomes enraged doesn't imply that
you are speaking the truth.

> Many people don't
> realize there's a rape in the U.S. on average every 6 minutes. Actually,
> that number was from the 80's, I'm sure it's higher now.

Sounds like some more of Rush's dredging up of old data.

> Or they don't realize that thousands or millions of children die
> needlessly in 3rd world countries from diseases we take for granted
> as being cured in the U.S. such as Polio, Influenze and the common cold.

Very true.  But that "they" group is pretty amorphous.

> Nor do they want to, nor realize that their government is being systematically
> dismantled and sold by the Liberals (not necessarily Democrats). They are
> creating an atmosphere of reliance on Government as the Daddy of everyone and
> that the Government is always right.

Those two statements are completely contradictory!!!!

> "You don't need those guns, they're hurting children!"

Personally, I get nervous around guns.  So far, I've no need for one.
That's just my household, though.

> "It was just sex, it was all about sex, the Republicans are forcing their
> moral viewpoint on us!"

Just like Clinton forced his willy <guess the rest>.

> and then c.) proceeded to politically and socially assassinate
> Monica, Juanita, Jennifer, Kenn Starr, Newt Gingrich, and countless other
> women which the President abused.

Ha ha ha ha!

> Not to mention allegations and investigations
> into rape, love children (yes, plural) and countless murders.

ROTFL!!!

> The death-toll
> surrounding the current administration now tops 45. 12 of which are former or
> were current body guards or service men sworn to protect the Governor/President.
> Many with bullets in the backs of their heads, but reported as dying of natural
> causes. The facts are there, you merely have to check them.)

Stop it! You're killing me!  A ha ha ha ha ha!

> Listen to Rush just one day. Just one hour. If you hear ONE thing, just
> ONE thing that he says that isn't completely, and absolutely true, then
> I'll stop listening to him myself.

In a previous post, I already mentioned how I was forced to listen to
him for weeks on end while trying to write code.  He's a big bag of
hot air.

> > I have learned to avoid certain topics, or to deflect the conversation
> > to more conventional lines.  Otherwise, I'd be spending all day arguing,
> > settling nothing, irritating all surrounding cubicle-mates, and not
> > getting our projects done.
>
> See, you just ignore. There are outrages and attrocities being committed
> every day even in the U.S. alone, but you are content to merely ignore
> it and pass it on because it's too large for you to think about.

Maybe some day I can attain your high moral plain.  Teach me, my
master.

> One example: Ron Brown. Commerce Secretary. Deceased. Died in plane
> crash in BOSNIA of all places during a war. What, pray tell, was the
> Secretary of Commerce doing in a battle zone?
>
> An investigation and autopsy in the matter revealed that the
> Secretary had been killed not by the crash, but a fatal gunshot
> wound to the head at point blank -- execution style.
>
> Not more than a week before, during some of the initial special
> prosecutor investigations into the Whitewater and Lewinsky matters,
> Mr. Brown had stated publically that he was "willing to talk" to
> the special prosecutor.

Man, what an awesome chain of events.  Why isn't A CURRENT AFFAIR
looking into this matter!!!

> Larry Nichols has documented 47 people whose lives were ended in
> relation with Clinton.
>
> Check it. I can give you the list that Mr. Nichols has compiled.
>
> If you can prove any one of them wrong, I'll vote Democrat next
> election.

Man, I've already wasted enough time on this crap.
I must learn more self-control.

Chris

comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 12:28:47 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis writes:

> Steve Mading wrote:

>> I wrote:

>>> The fact that it needs to be learned is what makes something not
>>> intuitive.

>> By that standard, the only intuative interface is the nipple.
>> After that everything is learned.
>>
>> The insistency that things should be similar to things that you
>> already know, when taken to the extreme, prevents all progress.

> Precisely.

Who allegedly made that insistence, Aaron?

> Which is why all claims that any sort of computer
> software is "intuitive" is a crock of shit.

Who made any restriction to software, Aaron?  You were the one who
made the blanket statement that nothing about a computer is intuitive,
despite hyping the similarity of dw and dG to d$.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: What does KDE do after all
Date: 6 Dec 2000 13:05:57 GMT

On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 05:55:19 GMT, Les Mikesell wrote:

>"Donovan Rebbechi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>> Pipes and shell commands are nice, but they are limited, and they don't
>> do everything. The same goes for structured programming, C programming,
>> and object oriented programming.
>
>And all this time I thought you just needed a Turing machine to do
>everything.

You can't create an ANSI compliant C++ implementation (the million dollar
question: why not ? can anyone get this ?)

--
Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
elflord at panix dot com

------------------------------

From: "Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 13:15:36 +0000

SwifT - wrote:
> Pipes or sockets?
> I agree that pipes are very strong and helpfull, but the reason that
> programmers (both Microsoft and Open Source) will use and develop sockets
> must mean that there is a greater potential in it?

They're different things.  Comparing apples and oranges might be fun for
the peanut gallery, but its hardly edifying or enlightening...

> This is also true with pipes. Pipes are good. They are functional and
> have aided people since the beginning of their lifetime (don't take it too
> literally). But programmers have to move on. They develop other
> algorithmes, stronger ones (or algorithmes with a potential to become
> stronger). And it's just that that we have to support... Staying with
> existing code can be usefull in some circumstances, but in general it
> isn't...

Most programmers' normal experience of pipes is that of a 1-1
unidirectional communications channel, and their experience of sockets
is that of a many-1 bidirectional communications channel (putting the
server first.)  Obviously this makes sockets far more flexible, but it
also makes using them far more complex.  That additional power doesn't
come for free; you need to consider issues of byte-ordering, deadlock,
timeout, lost-and-corrupt data, authentication, security, service
discovery, etc.  Pipes can't do as much, but that means that if what
you are doing is suitable at all for pipes, it is also much easier to
do using them.  This means that there loads of space for both kinds of
IPC paradigm; replacing one with the other is at best impractical and
at worst impossible...

Donal.
--
Donal K. Fellows    http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~fellowsd/    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- The guy who sells me my audio hardware explained that a computer will never

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is design really that overrated?
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 08:34:54 -0500

kiwiunixman wrote:

> Redesigned BSOD:

> |                                What the fuck?
> |

> |                It seems that a program in Windows has some sort
> |
> |                of bug that has not been corrected (surprise, surprise)
> |
> |                and basicly, your fucked.  You have two options
> |
> |                press [ESC] and hope it works (but 90% it won't)
> |
> |                or you could take a risk and press reset, and hopefully
> |
> |                the data stored on the disk won't be totally fucked.

> how about that as a replacement.

Now, you know that Microsoft goes to any and all lengths to AVOID honesty....

> kiwiunixman

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux growth rate explosion!
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 13:27:06 GMT

COMP.LANG.JAVA.ADVOCACY removed by request

news:90k07s$ge2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
wrote:
> : On 5 Dec 2000 00:27:56 GMT, Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> : :In comp.os.linux.advocacy Ayende Rahien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : :
> : :Not really.  How does one temporarily "su" to Administrator just
> : :to run one GUI app, and then get out, without logging all the way
> : :out and back in?
> :
> : ----------------------------------------
> :         |                                      |
> :         |  This program requires 'root'        |
> :         |  privileges, and may be dangerous    |
> :         |  if you do something unwise.         |
> :         |                                      |
> :         |  Type in the root password here      |
> :         |  to proceed:   ________________      |
> :         |                                      |
> :         |   | OK |           | Cancel|         |
> :         ----------------------------------------
>
> Interesting, you try to refute my point about Windows NT not having
> such a thing by showing me an example of UNIX having such a
> thing.  (Note the use of the word "root".  I've seen these types
> of dialogs on UNIX machines many times.  When do they happen on
> NT?)

Windows2000 has the runas command which is operable from both the
command line:

RUNAS USAGE:

RUNAS [/profile] [/env] [/netonly] /user:<UserName> program

   /profile        if the user's profile needs to be loaded
   /env            to use current environment instead of user's.
   /netonly        use if the credentials specified are for remote access only.
   /user           <UserName> should be in form USER@DOMAIN or DOMAIN\USER
   program         command line for EXE.  See below for examples

Examples:
> runas /profile /user:mymachine\administrator cmd
> runas /profile /env /user:mydomain\admin "mmc %windir%\system32\dsa.msc"
> runas /env /user:[EMAIL PROTECTED] "notepad \"my file.txt\""

NOTE:  Enter user's password only when prompted.
NOTE:  USER@DOMAIN is not compatible with /netonly.

And there is a GUI component which, when you shift+right click on an
application allows you to specify a specific user with which to run
that application.

-Chad

------------------------------

From: "the_blur" <the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: LINUX ROCKS AND WINDOWS SUCKS
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 08:40:54 -0500

> I hereby would like to declare a resounding (((!!!SPNAK!!!))) on the_blur
> for claiming that Win9x is stable.

I said IN THE DESKTOP. I know the underlying OS never crashes, but what's
the use of that when the desktop crashes every 20 minutes? I know windows
has mor OS crashes than Linux, I wasn't disputing that.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Off Topic: Funny Light Bulb Joke:
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 08:44:29 -0500

MH wrote:

> How about people who post about how if M$ made lightbulbs, they would
> have a pretty pattern on the surface but would stop working until you
> switched them off and on again?

No.  They would turn blue.

Kind of like a little brat who isn't getting his way.

> Dunno 'bout that. Since you use their newsreader to post all of this rot,
> why don't you tell us if your lights are going and off?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 sucks compared to linux
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 13:32:27 GMT

"Vann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9feX5.4904$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <mt6X5.2408$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Chad Myers"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > "Vann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:eXVW5.4689$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> In article <a3EW5.9418$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Chad Myers"
> >> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> <snip my post>

> >> It infuriates me when I try to help a person and I receive a slap in
> >> the face for it.  You sir, disgust me.
> >
> > You weren't helping me. It appeared that someone was cracking on Linux's
> > poor display system and you, perhaps naievly, begain detailing the
> > laborious process of attempting to get Linux to be a modern
> > display-oriented OS.
> >
> > If you were sincerely trying to help him, then I apologize. However, if
> > you were really trying to help him get a better display, you would've
> > told him to get a Mac or a Windows PC because Linux is years from having
> > a serious system for professional display and color correction.
> >
> > -Chad
> Please don't put thought into my head.  I am not one to question why he
> was using linux.  Maybe he likes being able to hack around with the
> kernel.  But, it is neither my position, nor yours, to claim he is making
> a mistake.  The choice of what OS to use is an intimate one - one you will
> have to deal with every second the computer is used.  If I demanded you
> always buy a chevrolet instead of a ford because a chevrolet is
> "technically superior", you'd probably chose to ignore me.
> Personal computers are called such for a reason, you know.

You can BS and wax philosophical all you want, but what it really comes down
to is, if you want to have a decent, professional display and control over it,
Linux would be the last choice.

If you wanted to help him, you would've told him the truth.

-Chad

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft Light Bulb Part 2
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 08:48:12 -0500

"Donal K. Fellows" wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> > All of this discussion about Microsoft renting apps with .NET
> > got me to thinking...what are we facing if, in fact, Microsoft
> > does start renting apts???
> [...]
>
> You have *waaaay* too much time on your hands.  Surely you could try
> writing a new application for Linux in the time it took to write up
> that little document?  Still, I liked it very much!  :^)

It only took 20 seconds or so to grab it from the archives
from when I wrote it the first time (about 6 months ago).

> Donal.
> --
> Donal K. Fellows    http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~fellowsd/    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> -- Name me one elf who wants to go to Blackpool after he dies.
>                                 -- Raymond E. Feist on [EMAIL PROTECTED]

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 13:33:17 GMT

"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:90jvri$1dhfu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Dennis Popov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:90juau$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > You're right, they do use it for web servers. But why would they? Isn't
> > linuix, according to most of you win2k advocates, nothing but a buggy,
> > crashy, good for nothing os? Doesn't this prove that linux is actually
> > superior to windows when it comes to serving web pages?
>
> No, it proves that those companies think in advance and are worried about
> the time when MS would change its license so CAL is everybody who send GET
> to your server :)

It might snow in Miami tomorrow too. How come you're not worried about that?

-Chad

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 08:49:38 -0500

Tom Wilson wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > kiwiunixman wrote:
> > All of this discussion about Microsoft renting apps with .NET
> > got me to thinking...what are we facing if, in fact, Microsoft
> > does start renting apts???
> >
> >                 Microsoft Apts 2000
> >

> <snip>
>
> A buddy of mine is doing some Windows programming today.
>
> Hack/Crash/Reboot
> Hack/Crash/Reboot
>
> I emailed your little diatribe to him and he told me to tell you to fuck off.

Tell him that my gf is more than willing to undress and help me fulfill his request.

> I think he liked it ;)
>
> --
> Tom Wilson
> Registered Linux User #194021